Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old May 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

No Bake Homemade Cat Treats - Anybody Have a Recipe?

After a week of happily gobbling up all the food I dropped their 1/2 teaspoon a day of liquid Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM on the two cats who need it the most have turned up their noses. I can always use it for the dog and one cat but I wondered about making my own treats?

I figure I can't bake anything for fear of losing the efficacy of the stuff. I googled and I searched here but haven't found any no bake recipes. I'm thinking/hoping that whatever liquid a recipe calls for I would replace with the G/C/M.

Oh no, I lie, I did find one but it didn't call for liquid.

I imagine if I do find a recipe I'll have to refrigerate the treats and I don't know if that will affect the G/C/M either.

I wonder how much G/C/M is going to end up in each treat too.

What do you think? Got a recipe?
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:16 PM

If they don't like the taste of it, I don't know how treats will help, but I'll let a better cook come up with recipes for you.

1/2 tsp is an awful lot. Have you tried 1/8 tsp or even just a drop to see if they might let you increase slowly?
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I did start out with smaller amounts. It's chicken flavoured and they all seemd to like it so I went up quickly, maybe too quickly.

The container itself is poorly capped. It's hard to measure out the amounts from a bottle with an open cap, like ummmmm, thinking, what would be the same sort of opening, got it, like cough syrup. If only I could squirt it out or draw it up with a syringe.

Yeah, the treats are a last ditch effort. One cat is very finickity. But they might work for the cat who needs joint help the most. I have a couple of other options up my sleeve but thought this was worth a try. Now that I think of it, the first day it wasn't eaten it was 26C here. None of my cats eat much when it gets hot quickly. Maybe I'll start over with the smaller amounts.
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Here is a link to a thread with a recipe book for you. I started this thread back in 2007...enjoy!

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....hlight=recipes

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you. I just skimmed through and I will keep that list. Unfortunately I'm beginning to think my idea just will not work. I found some that were no bake but they did not require an amount of liquid. This makes sense I suppose, because how could something very liquid be expected to stay in little bits without baking? Or some were frozen, great for the dog but my cats will think I've lost my mind.
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

What about mixing it into something like plain chicken baby food? I can pretty much give my cats anything when it's mixed with baby food. You can also get glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM in powder form, although I understand wanting to use what you've got rather than having to buy another product.

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I knew I could get it in powder form but because I am successfully mixing one cat's liquid meds into her canned food that seemed to be a good way to go. I might try it anyway.

The Vet wants me to try special food but Sadie is already on special food for her cholangial hepatitis and I don't want to mess with it. I can also try store bought treats with G/C/M in but, wow, expensive. I think they'll get more of what they need if I dose it too.
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
The container itself is poorly capped. It's hard to measure out the amounts from a bottle with an open cap, like ummmmm, thinking, what would be the same sort of opening, got it, like cough syrup. If only I could squirt it out or draw it up with a syringe.
Check w/your local pharmacy, ask if you can purchase a no-needle syringe they give out with liquid antibiotics (Amoxicillin or Clavamox for example) or they usually have bigger sizes packaged for sale. You can then use this to draw it up & squirt into your measuring spoon for accuracy.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to renew one of my own Rx and will be at the pharmacy today. I have a dispenser modification like that for Sadie's Ursodial. Should have thought of that. Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Live well, laugh often

I use Cosequin as a joint supplement for my cat and it has helped Desi quite a bit. It comes in capsules and I just open the capsule and mix it in the food. Neither one of my cats mind it at all (is chicken/tuna flavor) and Desi is quite the fussy girl.

http://www.petcarerx.com/pcrx/Produc...496&k=Cosequin for Cats&fsearch=1

I usually order it from that link and order three bottles at a time. They ship it from California for free and it is usually about a week or so until it arrives.
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks TeriM, I'll look into that. My first thought was to pick a supplement matching as closely as possible the ingredients of the food my Vet promotes.

I couldn't get a dispenser for the bottle, they weren't the right size.

Something else I tried to get was powdered G/C/M and they didn't have that either. I can get it at a local tack shop, but it is not flavoured, and I have to buy a quite large container as it's meant for horses. I'll end up throwing most of it out, making it very expensive.