Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM

SierraSil for arthritis & Joint Probs

Has anyone been using SierraSil Joint Formula 14 for their senior pets join problems?

I used it myself for a hip injury a year ago and it worked amazingly well.

My dog hurt her right foreleg in early January and I have tried Omega oils, flax seed oil and lot of salmon. I also have been using Nutri-Flex for three weeks but she still limps.

Then I remembered SierraSil so read up on it again and many dog owners on the site claimed it helped. We both tried it but for the first 2 days didn't take it right. It's supposed to be taken on an empty stomach with water. Food and other fluids aren't to be taken an hour before or two hours after eating. The past two days we have followed the directions more carefully. Sadie is on the BARF diet and getting very few carbs so she shouldn't be retaining fluids and she doesn't seem to drink as much water as before.

My concern is that I can't get Sadie to drink any water in the morning though I can get the capsule down her throat. I posted SierraSil but haven't a reply yet.

I have been putting some flavouring into water along with a sprinkle of salt to make her thirsty so she will drink more water which has happened.

Today (day 4) she seems to be walking better with only a slight indication of favouring her right leg. I also noticed my hip feels the best it has in a long time so maybe this is working. My concern is the need for water to flush the toxins from her system.

If anyone else has used this product (appears to be a Canadian product) on yourself or your dog or cat, it would be interesting to hear of your experience. It is frightfully expensive but if it works, I will continue using it for both of us.

Namaste,
mhikl

PS Here is a list of its ingredients:

Calcium 23mg
Potassium 20mg
Sodium + 12mg
Aluminium * 6mg
Phosphorus 3.1mg
Magnesium 2.2mg
Iron ** 1.2mg
Silicon ++ 1.0mg
Manganese 0.15mg
Barium ˆ 0.10mg
Copper 0.033mg
Cobalt ˆ ˆ 0.014mg
Zinc 0.014mg

Due to its clay structure, a large percentage of the total content of SierraSil® passes through the body unabsorbed. The values in this table represent the quantities available for absorption by the body in an average recommended daily dosage of SierraSil® (2 g = 3 capsules), as per the dissolution test described in US Pharmacopeia 24 Dissolution Method 711.

Health Functions of Essential Minerals in SierraSil

Calcium: Bone, Tooth & Joint Health, Nerve & Muscle Function, Tissue Repair, Blood Clotting, Stamina
Potassium: Nerve & Muscle Function, Kidney Function, pH Balance, Energy Production, Tissue Repair
Sodium: Water Regulation, pH Balance, Nerve & Muscle Function, Stamina & Endurance
Phosphorus: Bone, Tooth & Joint Health, Tissue Repair, Energy Production, Nerve & Muscle Function
Magnesium: Bone, Tooth & Joint Health, Tissue Repair, Nerve & Muscle Function, Enzyme Activation
Iron: Bone & Joint Health, Blood Formation, Immune Function, Stamina & Endurance
Manganese: Bone, Skin & Joint Health, Nerve Function, Nutrient Metabolism, Enzyme Activation
Copper: Bone, Skin, Hair & Joint Health, Enzyme Activation, Energy Production, Immune Function
Zinc: Bone, Tooth, Hair, Skin & Joint Health, Enzyme Activation, Hormone Regulation, Detoxification

I'm thinking that if these are the only ingredients, I have most of them and could purchase the few I don't have and make my own concoction. Cheap, I know, but supplements are becoming so expensive.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

not sure if you have a shoppers drugmart near you, but I give my 70 pound dog 1000 mg of glucosamine and 400 mg of chondroitin sulfate daily with her food and when she had surgery on her knee the dr xrayed her other joints and could not believe how good they were compared to the one she blew out and he told me to keep her on this. she is a 6 yr old lab/shep mix. anyways, I bought both suppliments at shoppers, life brand, and it totals 42 dollars and lasts 4 1/2 months
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:56 PM

Good idea

[QUOTE=Melinda;987734]I give my 70 pound dog 1000 mg of glucosamine and 400 mg of chondroitin sulfate daily with her food/QUOTE]

I do have both in my larder.

I will start using it for Sadie (and me) but I am going to wait a week or two to see how the SierraSil works. If it does, I will still use it but will add the G/C as well.

I wonder if MS would be good to add.

I am always concerned about giving animals things I am not sure of. When I discovered Xylitol, I gave Sadie about 1/8th tsp but when I saw she had back stools, I backed off and did the research. Found out there was evidence that it might do liver damage. Though some other study didn't find the same results, I wouldn't take a chance with it.

Namaste, Melinda. I've heard many good reports about G/C but forgot about them.

Last edited by mhikl; February 23rd, 2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: forgot hilighting

Tags
arthritis, joint, ligament, senior, sierrasil