Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 29th, 2009, 03:20 PM

So What Dogs Foods Have You Tried?

My timeline goes something like this...

Supermarket brands (Pedigree, Kibbles N Bits, ect)>Nutro>Science Diet (vet recommended)>Canidae (before they switched formulas)>Kirkland>Pedigree (jobless)>Solid Gold>Innova>Might switch to Taste of the Wild or California Natural and/or Nature's Variety Raw
and her son...
Valentino- who's also part shih tzu

Last edited by Candy317; December 29th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Investigative researcher

Hmmm been a long life of dogs and feeding...let's see. In the 60s it was Gravy Train, Gaines Burgers, Gaines Meal. In the 70s it was Purina Dog Chow or other Purina products, and Pedigree. In the 80s Purina One, then Nutro, Farmer's Pride Chicken, then Eagle Pack. In the 90s it was Eagle Pack, Innova, Go Natural. In the 2000s it has been Acana, and then Orijen. During all of that time, large raw weight bearing bones and raw veggies have been a part of dog diets. Never have had vet bills for any diseases, and dogs have generally lived long active lives. Had purebreds and mixed, from 10 lbs to 110 lbs. In total? Let's see...other than pups sold by 3 mths of age, I have had 16 dogs over 50 yrs.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Authority Puppy (Petsmart brand) -> then I tried to make an improvement and fed Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Lamb formula because Chase would NOT eat as a puppy and I thought maybe he didn't like chicken. But he knew something I didn't and still barely ate the Nutro...only as much as he absolutely needed.

Then when he was about 8 months old I got smart! I switched to Wellness, which he liked better and then Canidae, which he liked even more! His appetite improved and so did his energy level!

When Canidae changed their formula I didn't feel comfortable with it and wanted to try grain-free, so I moved to Orijen. Chase and Kailey have both been eating it for more than a year and I have no plans to change anytime soon. They have amazing muscle tone and perfect coats.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM

i've tried purina, iams, and many others whose names i don't recall but finally found out that my dogs likes beniful the best
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM

For the pups:
Canidae Chicken and Rice -> Innova Large Breed Puppy -> Orijen Large Breed Puppy -> SG Barking at the Moon -> Horizon Legacy -> NV Raw ->Paws and Claws Pet Pantry Raw -> Home Prepared Prey Model Raw

For the Cats:
Hill's P/D -> Hill's T/D ->Felidae ->Innova Evo -> Orijen -> Merrick wet food -> Innova Evo wet food -> NV raw -> Paws and Claws Pet Pantry Raw ->Home Prepared Prey Model Raw
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM

Oh geez... I have tried so many can't even remember them all! I remember starting my oldest on Pro Pac about 8 years ago when it was sold in Canada when she was a puppy (then it stopped being sold here... not sure why?). Also tried Nutro with her when she was a pup. My little guy has allergies so I have tried alot of food catered to him... including vet foods like Medi-Cal etc. Did also try the Iams "Vet Food" brand one kind on the advice of my vet and was so disgusted with both what I read on the label and how my dogs did on it, I chucked it shortly after! Up until recently, I was trying Orijen and then Acana.

Recently have switched to raw (mix of pre-packaged patties and homemade as I become more comfortable!) and has by far surpassed anything else I have tried with my furbabies... have been on it 2 months and have seen amazing results... shiny coats, a brightness in their eyes, awesome energy and of course the best... smaller poops!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old December 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I've feed nutro natural,nutro high energy,innova,canadie,healthwise,nature's variety chicken and lamb,acana.now feeding california natural herring and sweet potatoe.

Last edited by angeldogs; December 29th, 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM

I've tried to feed them orijen, canidae, innova to raw foods...
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:33 PM

<1980's technical<!990'sIams & Nutro<2000's rotation for 2 dogs Go! Salmon & Go! Natural & Timberwolf Organics Wellness Core & California Natural also raw
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:55 PM
Doggie Wench

MediCal-->Canidae-->RAW

We tried a few other brands but not more than a few weeks so I figure they don't really count.

All fosters are fed Orijen and/or raw.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Living here in SK out in the middle of nowhere has certainly made buying high quality food for both the dog and the cats a challenge, nearest large town is a 40 minute drive!! There is one store that is carrying a limited supply of good foods and she hopes to carry more this year...keeping fingers crossed! It's funny some of the farm supply stores carry Acana but nothing decent for cats, ok well they have the barncat food, you know 15.00 for a huge bag! Might be ok for barn cats but my boys ain't eating that stuff!

Right now Bayley is eating Horizon kibble and I just bought her their better formula Horizon Legacy. It's made in the province and she does quite nicely on it. I just went to Saskatoon and dropped a small fortune on animal food that I'm hoping will last about 2-3 months. I have to make a visit to the local meat processors once we get a decent sized freezer, they're happy to give away their scraps.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I've tried almost every variety of medium to high end kibble and canned for my guys over the years. Finally got smart and started cooking the food for this picky breed.

clm
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Ranger was on Iams something or other when I got him back in May. Kept him on it for a month, then did research and switched to Orijen fish. I went with the fish formula because at the time I thought he had some allergies but it turns out he was just an itchy dog.

It took him a long time to get used to the Orijen though. I did a slow switch (over a month) but he still had runny poops whenever it was just Orijen. It took close to 3 months of mixing the food before he had solid poops. It was definitely worth the time - he is thriving on the food. Glossy coat, lots of energy (good energy), no smelly ears.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Animal Lover

Cool That depends...

...on if by what I fed when I was "clueless" as to what was really in dog/cat foods; or now; that I have researched it a bit (started w/this site

CLUELESS
Purina One, Kibbles & Bits, Pedigree, Science Diet (guess who recommended it, LOL?; and Nutro.

NOW; (or the better quality foods I have tried ): Merrick (dogs liked it pretty well, cat likes one flavor of the canned varieties
Innova, Solid Gold Good quality; but the little picky dogs wouldn't touch it. Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers/Cat lover's soul (in the large breed formula only...our Chi and Chi X are sensitive to grains and tend to gain weight more quickly); our newest addition, a stray Coonhound (Ellie ) likes it, I mix the canned/dry together. I am thinking of switching her around, but our $$ is very tight, and she is $$ to feed Evo to; which our Chi and Chi X eat, in the small bite sizes. Canned Canidae and Tripett still, esp. the Tripe.

I also feed Raw frozen (either Nature's variety, or fresh frozen venison from our freezer, a couple X's a week). The venison is a fave among all concerned, raw or cooked. I do like to soak it overnight before I feed it raw. Hubby stocked our freezer w/3 deer last winter, so the fur babies can share the stash w/us.. Treats include raw and/or cooked egg(s), chopped apples, fresh raw baby carrots, and canned green beans, either low sodium or rinsed in warm water. My smallest, oldest Chi loves pears, haven't bought any lately though.

I also give small amts. of cheese occasionally, not to much or they get the drizzling poos. but they do love it....the "white cheeses" ie white american, mozzarella, etc. w/outout the added preservatives/etc. tend to fit their tummies better, but I like my processed yellow cheese.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Charlie only had 2 types of dog food in his life.

1st: ProSeries Puppy

2nd: I alternate between Go! Grain Free & Go! Duck

So far so good, he seems healthy to me... I hear a lot of good things about Orijen so IF we need to change, I might try that next.