Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh dear...

So I made a trek to my favorite Pet Planet store to stock up on dog and cat food.
I lugged my 4 big bags of Orijen dog food and 1 bag Orijen Cat food to the counter, where I was then informed that Orijen had raised their prices since my last visit by almost 4.50 per bag!
That pushed the Red Meat Orijen to just over 80.00 dollars, so no more Red Meat, unless I can get it as my free bag after purchasing 12.
I was astounded, that's a huge increase, and I'm surprised Orijen would do that in this economy, because I think it will be enough to force some people into switching to another food.
This increase is going to add another 40.00 to my dog food budget per month that comes out to an extra 480 dollars a year
I'm afraid to switch to another food, because Orijen is the only food that Kato and Abby haven't had issues with.
I'm at a loss...this totally sucks
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old December 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
-

I would write a letter of complaint to the company

I buy Kirkland food. I know it's not premium like Orijen but because of the low cost , I can afford my doggies and francly I'm satisfied with the quality.

Anyway , what I wanted to say is , what I like about Costco is , they raised the $$ per bag when the gas prices went up but , they also brought the price down after a while
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Frenchy. Write them a letter. I'm sure you won't be the only one doing so if the prices have increased so drastically.

What gets me is, in this economy, where people are going so far as to get rid of some pets because they can't afford them anymore, for a food company to do this is just plain greedy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you sure its the actual company? :O or just the store?

We feed orijen as well and we bought a new bag last night at the same price its always been!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

It went up here too! I was told the company bumped prices up by 5%.

Fish formula here is 73.99 per bag
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

they just make it harder and harder to buy good food brenda and the pins.
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Perhaps you can try them on a homemade diet? It is normally cheaper than commercial food if you have a butcher in the area that will sell you meat that has fallen on the floor, or if you buy in bulk.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
-

LMPG, have you checked the Acana Provincial grain free brand? It is also made by Champion Pet Foods and has excellent ingredients but less protein. If I remember correctly Orijen is around 42% and the grain free Acana is about 35% and it's about $8 a bag cheaper here.

We had to start buying the Acana Provincial brand because of the Orijen cost. You can always add some leftover meat from your meals or eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc if you want to increase the protein amount.
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Are you sure its the actual company? :O or just the store?

We feed orijen as well and we bought a new bag last night at the same price its always been!
Laura, who owns that particular store is a friend of mine, and I asked her was it Pet Planet raising the price or Orijen, and she told me Orijen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
LMPG, have you checked the Acana Provincial grain free brand? It is also made by Champion Pet Foods and has excellent ingredients but less protein. If I remember correctly Orijen is around 42% and the grain free Acana is about 35% and it's about $8 a bag cheaper here.

We had to start buying the Acana Provincial brand because of the Orijen cost. You can always add some leftover meat from your meals or eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc if you want to increase the protein amount.
I was thinking about Acana today actually. I don't mind supplementing their food for extra proteins, I will probably have to make that switch, because at the price of Orijen, it's stretching my dog food budget to the maximum. I simply refuse to dip into my vet funds to stretch the food budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I would write a letter of complaint to the company

I buy Kirkland food. I know it's not premium like Orijen but because of the low cost , I can afford my doggies and francly I'm satisfied with the quality.

Anyway , what I wanted to say is , what I like about Costco is , they raised the $$ per bag when the gas prices went up but , they also brought the price down after a while
Frenchy, I fed my dogs Kirkland as well, unfortunately Abby kept developing yeast infections on it and the beetroot content may have been a contributing factor to Kato's ear irritations. Kirkland is an awesome food, it's rated a 3 star and it beats out a lot of the competition such as Iams and Eukanuba and such.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old December 20th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

That sucks..on the price mark up.i know it's a pain in the but finding a food all the pups do well on and for a good price.

have you tried a fish based food.? i know here i'm paying $55+tax for california natural and my 2 are doing well on it.
Old December 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM
NOT a senior member

If Champion is raising the price so significantly on Orijen, I wonder if Acana is far behind? I feed the Orijen to the Minpins, because they eat so little of it...and Acana to the Bullmastiff and Dane for obvious reasons.

Dang, just when you have a good thing going you get a wrench in the system.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old December 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
If Champion is raising the price so significantly on Orijen, I wonder if Acana is far behind? I feed the Orijen to the Minpins, because they eat so little of it...and Acana to the Bullmastiff and Dane for obvious reasons.

Dang, just when you have a good thing going you get a wrench in the system.
Well hubby and I discussed it, and we've decided to keep them on Orijen, because it has been a good thing, health wise for our dogs.
We will trim the budget in other areas, like cutting back on our visits to Starbucks and Tim Hortons (more coffee time at home), we'll rent the occassional pay per view movie instead of going to the theaters to see a movie. Stuff like that.
I just don't want to mess with their food again, it took a long time to find the right food, especially for Abby.
I suppose I could put the cats back on Acana instead of Orijen, they liked the Acana grasslands, so that's an option to save a few bucks, they don't seem to be crazy about the Orijen fish anyway.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old December 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a great idea. You don't realize it until you sit down and do the math, but that morning coffee at a shop really adds up!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
-

It's gone up here too LMPG, at the Global where I puchase from they had a letter from Champion Foods taped to the shelf. It also said that Acana Adult was going up 8%....I feed Acana Grasslands and for now it is untouched....who knows for how long. If it does go up in price, I'm going to have to rethink what to feed the guys, I'm stretched to my limit :sad:
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

LPG, what size bag of Orijen are you buying?
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
It's gone up here too LMPG, at the Global where I puchase from they had a letter from Champion Foods taped to the shelf. It also said that Acana Adult was going up 8%....I feed Acana Grasslands and for now it is untouched....who knows for how long. If it does go up in price, I'm going to have to rethink what to feed the guys, I'm stretched to my limit :sad:
I talked to my friend at Pet Planet, she too said Acana is going up in price too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
LPG, what size bag of Orijen are you buying?
I buy the big bags, 18kg I think they are. They are out in the garage, but it's the biggest bag available.
I'm going to be getting back into fostering after the New Year, I would always feed my fosters the same food as my dogs, even tho the rescue would supply food, but this time around I'm going to have to feed the fosters whatever the rescue gives me...which usually comes from donations, and is usually close to or just past the expiry date most times:sad:
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old December 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Well this is kind of crappy to find out

Since my two aren't particularly sensitive to anything I think I'll start comparing prices at my Ryan's.....I love Horizon Legacy so may try the dogs on it if it ends up eventually being cheaper than Orijen.

I like Kirkland too - we buy it for Heidi I'm just not willing to give up grain-free for Chase and Kailey since I've seen the amazing muscle tone they've developed on Orijen. They're both only two and I can't help but think this is a worthwhile investment in a healthy future for them. We'll likely have to make some cutbacks in other areas too *sigh* Although I'm fully convinced this will save us in vet bills down the road.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Well this is kind of crappy to find out

Since my two aren't particularly sensitive to anything I think I'll start comparing prices at my Ryan's.....I love Horizon Legacy so may try the dogs on it if it ends up eventually being cheaper than Orijen.

I like Kirkland too - we buy it for Heidi I'm just not willing to give up grain-free for Chase and Kailey since I've seen the amazing muscle tone they've developed on Orijen. They're both only two and I can't help but think this is a worthwhile investment in a healthy future for them. We'll likely have to make some cutbacks in other areas too *sigh* Although I'm fully convinced this will save us in vet bills down the road.
Hubby and I are of the same thinking, Orijen will help save us in vet bills down the road. Altho Abby and Kato have accumulated several hundred dollars in vet bills in the past few months, Kato for his ears, and Abby for foot injury and teeth cleaning and yeast infections before Orijen. But I know Orijen is helping to keep them healthy and strong.
Even their "treat" budget has gone up since I can no longer feed Kirkland biscuits because they too give Abby yeast infections. There will be fewer treats now tho, to keep them on Orijen.
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)

Old December 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Winston has been on Orijen since it came out. I have not only saved the horrendous vet bills, but he hasnt had to be on prednisone every few weeks and the best part is that I dont have to pay the unreal amounts being charged for the vet food.! We love it and will continue to use it for now and like others cut in other areas!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

In Ottawa, we have a pet food co-op. You pay a $15 annual membership and then your food costs are reduced. The reason I was asking about the bag size is that at our co-op the 13.5kg bag is $57. It is the largest bag they sell and seems to be quite a different price from some of the others quoted.

Price seems quite different around different regions. Does this sound different from what you pay?
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM

I am wondering - we feed raw and occasional Orijen (a few meals per week). The combination works very well together since Orijen is so much more appropriate than other kibble. Would it be an option for you to offset the price change by giving your dogs a raw meal here and there? If you're at the store and you find a really good deal on raw? If you save yourself a meal of Orijen per week per dog, and replace it with a cheaply purchased raw meal? On raw, we have a 'fasting' day - a day where there's a bone with meat to chew on. Or a pork chop, sardines, half a chicken? After Christmas turkey will be extremely on sale - perhaps a good time to get turkey deals and replace one meal a week for each dog with raw?
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Doggie Wench

I don't know how many stores in your area carry Orijen but here, I've noticed the price difference can be as high as 10-14$ per bag depending on the store.

I'm extremely fortunate that one place donates opened and damaged bags to us. If they don't have any, they offer a 15% discount because they know I feed it to our fosters. It's not only a very kind gesture but it makes good business sense as well as I'll refer others to the store. They do have the least expensive prices. Do you think it's something you can ask at the store where you shop, LMPG? Especially if you'll be fostering....chances are new adoptive families will continue feeding Orijen and they'll be return customers .
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
In Ottawa, we have a pet food co-op. You pay a $15 annual membership and then your food costs are reduced. The reason I was asking about the bag size is that at our co-op the 13.5kg bag is $57. It is the largest bag they sell and seems to be quite a different price from some of the others quoted.

Price seems quite different around different regions. Does this sound different from what you pay?
Sorry I was mistaken, the size of my bags are 13.5 kg, which is now 65.99 per bag. So it is much different than what your region is paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post
I am wondering - we feed raw and occasional Orijen (a few meals per week). The combination works very well together since Orijen is so much more appropriate than other kibble. Would it be an option for you to offset the price change by giving your dogs a raw meal here and there? If you're at the store and you find a really good deal on raw? If you save yourself a meal of Orijen per week per dog, and replace it with a cheaply purchased raw meal? On raw, we have a 'fasting' day - a day where there's a bone with meat to chew on. Or a pork chop, sardines, half a chicken? After Christmas turkey will be extremely on sale - perhaps a good time to get turkey deals and replace one meal a week for each dog with raw?
I've done some research into raw feeding, unfortunately, because I have a son with a suppressed immune system it is not an option for us, since they love to give him kisses all over his face. Too be honest it would be a lot of work trying to keep it as sanitary for my son as possible. Not that it wouldn't be worth the effort, but with our busy schedules we just aren't sure we should take the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I don't know how many stores in your area carry Orijen but here, I've noticed the price difference can be as high as 10-14$ per bag depending on the store.

I'm extremely fortunate that one place donates opened and damaged bags to us. If they don't have any, they offer a 15% discount because they know I feed it to our fosters. It's not only a very kind gesture but it makes good business sense as well as I'll refer others to the store. They do have the least expensive prices. Do you think it's something you can ask at the store where you shop, LMPG? Especially if you'll be fostering....chances are new adoptive families will continue feeding Orijen and they'll be return customers .
That's a great idea LP, I'm going to talk to my friend about it after the holidays, I already send a lot of ppl to her store, this way I can send even more. It could be a win win situation!
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)