Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Exclamation Excessive Shedding - dog in heat - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

I have a female boston terrier who recently with in the last few days has gone into her first "heat" she since then has been shedding like crazy...is this normal ?
Old July 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

i dont know about heat cycles and shedding. although maybe it would because of the stress
i would recommend you get your dog spayed ASAP as there is proof that not spaying your dog increases the risk of reproductive organ cancer in dogs and there are lots of homeless pups out there and we dont want to add to those numbers !
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I also think it may be the stress of going into heat causing her to shed.

I would suggest getting her spayed as well.

Also, what are you feeding her, food also may have an effect on shedding.
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~michelle~ View Post
i would recommend you get your dog spayed ASAP as there is proof that not spaying your dog increases the risk of reproductive organ cancer in dogs ... !
You can't get cancer in parts you don't have...

But yes, I'd say going into heat may have caused the sudden increase in shedding. Depending on her age though, it might also be a result of blowing her puppy coat so her adult one could grow in.
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:47 PM
-

I agree with everyone. The stress could be a causing excess shedding as well as her diet. What are you feeding her?

I hope you are going to keep her strictly confined as if it's her first heat she is much too young to be a mother. I would suggest getting her spayed as soon as possible.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks everyone!
I talked to my vet today they have said it is most likely that she is in heat, and possibly allergies, because it is prime time for animal allergy season...they gave me a suppliment to add to her food that will help with her skin and fur....
And she is 9 months old and we are getting her spayed after this heat even tho we have lots of people that want one of her pups I still would rather having her fixed, like you say there are TOO many homeless puppies around...

thanks again everyone
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

No, thank YOU for not listening to the 'cute puppy' crowd.
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne_Tallulah View Post
nd she is 9 months old and we are getting her spayed after this heat even tho we have lots of people that want one of her pups I still would rather having her fixed, like you say there are TOO many homeless puppies around... thanks again everyone
Wahoo ! A sensible, smart, sweet and savvy dog person !
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM
-

Gosh ~ got so excited there I forgot the rest of my advice...

What are you feeding her right now ? Believe me, food can make all the difference in the world ! You can get some very decent Omega 3-6-9 supplements as well as fish oil capsules which are also great for shedding.
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:54 AM
-

WOO HOO......glad to hear you are gettting her spayed. I agree with mummummum about choice of food making a big difference in allergies. If you let us know what you are feeding her now, we will be able to offer advice.

And, btw, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your little girl.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM

I'm not sure shedding would be attributed to allergies so much as nutrition that isn't quite right. I'm diabetic and if my sugars fluctuate too much for a too long, my hair starts to fall out.. Its symptomatic of my over all health.
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Well im just going by what my VET said about allergies, but who knows! she seems to be doing better now that she is going out of heat and with the supplmients...to be honest i can not remember what i am feeding her it is a from a specialty store not a retail grocerystore ....ummmmm cowboy cook out is in it... she is not fussy about it so i think i may just honestly go back to her regular kibbles and bits that she loved sooo much...i know it isnt the best thing for her but hey she eats it...i may also try the royal canin breed specific type or the one of the other "hills" brand foods from the vets

If anyone has access to Facebook message me i have PLENTY of pictures of all of my babies on there....

thanks again everyone!

Last edited by Daphne_Tallulah; July 15th, 2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne_Tallulah
so i think i may just honestly go back to her regular kibbles and bits that she loved sooo much...i know it isnt the best thing for her but hey she eats it...i may also try the royal canin breed specific type or the one of the other "hills" brand foods from the vets
The reason she loved Kibbles 'n Bits is because it's loaded with sugar and other "enhancers". Check out the ingredients of Kibbles 'n Bits and any of the Royal Canin or Hills brands and compare them with:

Canidae www.canidae.com
Innova www.naturapet.com
Orijen www.championpetfoods.com
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Dogs will lose fur under many conditions, and is not worrisome under most circumstances, example, a new mother that is heavily lactating, or a female dog going through estrus (heat cycle).

The fur will grow back. Many chronic diseases can cause scanty fur growth and excessive fur loss, and these need to be addressed on an individual basis.

In your situation, I would put your mind at ease, and this should clear up without anything else being done.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old October 27th, 2008, 02:41 AM

shedding

I have a terrier 9months old ......there is a lot of hair shedding.....is it true that if theres a liver problem...there would be hair shedding...and is it ok to give sweets other than chocolate...???
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:40 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.joseph31 View Post
I have a terrier 9months old ......there is a lot of hair shedding.....is it true that if theres a liver problem...there would be hair shedding...and is it ok to give sweets other than chocolate...???
nikhil.joseph31 - you should post your question in the health forum rather than here. Start a new thread. You will get more answers to your question then.
As for giving sweets to your dog - why does s/he need them? They are bad for their teeth and not good for them generally.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne_Tallulah View Post
to be honest i can not remember what i am feeding her it is a from a specialty store not a retail grocerystore ....ummmmm cowboy cook out is in it...
That's Merrick food and it's actually a really good brand. If you wanted to switch her to a different food I would recommend the Royal Canin or if you wanted to try it Halo. I have had a lot of success with halo food. I have my dog on the Merrick and I'm coming up against the same problem with my little one when she went into heat. I'm %99 sure that it has nothing to do with the food.