Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ok so, still waiting to hear the results of Meowzer's retest. Hopefully things are good. He was not impressed with them manipulating his bladder.
Brownie is going back in the middle of Dec. for another blood workup. He will be checked for heartworm at the same time. Of course she said if he tested positive for them then probably all the cats will. I just wish she would give me some good news once in a while!
Anyway, I told her how much he was eating. Her eyes kind of opened wide like she was in shock. She asked what pills she had him on. I told her. She said Oh, well that's why he's eating. They are all appetite stimulants.
My observations from today - his gums are pinker, he isn't panting any more when he moves, he's grooming himself, no sign of jaundice (which she said wasn't that bad in the first place although at the time she made it sound like it was), he is BORED!, he ripped apart his crate - buried his food dishes under all the straw, spilled his water. He tried making a run for it when I opened the door to clean up the mess and give him his pills. I put him in a carrier so I could clean up and then sat with him on the porch of their house for a while. He sure wanted to get down and explore.
SCM and growler - I have the bloodwork but am having some issues scanning it. Could you tell me what numbers to look for in particular and I will let you know what they are.
I took a couple of pics of the poor boy today.
Mom, let me ouuuttttt!!
Name:  100_6625.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  52.5 KB
Ok, I will just sit here and look sad.
Name:  100_6629.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  56.6 KB

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yay, for the continued improvement in Brownie!!! He's looking mighty handsome, even if he isn't happy with being locked up...

One question--if the vet thinks he might have heartworm, why would she wait to test him for it?

When do you think you'll get Meowzer's tests back? Today sometime?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, and the good news will be when she tells you Brownie is all better and none of the kitties have heartworm

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay Brownie. I'm glad he is improving.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Yay, for the continued improvement in Brownie!!! He's looking mighty handsome, even if he isn't happy with being locked up...

One question--if the vet thinks he might have heartworm, why would she wait to test him for it?

When do you think you'll get Meowzer's tests back? Today sometime?
I think she still figures he will eventually have to be euthanized so isn't too worried about testing him for it. It was me who asked if that was a possibility. Of course then she said with all the coyotes that we have around it's possible. I guess the mosquitoes were stinging the coyotes and then traveling across an acre of so of land to get to the cats to sting them.
I swear I think she still has the impression that I am a hoarder. I don't know why she can't get the concept that people in this area DO NOT pay for cats when there are so many available for free and I am not giving my cats away to just anyone! And most of the ones I have are not exactly people lovers as some of my visitors can attest.
Yes, they should be able to tell me Meowzer's results later today. If not tomorrow morning.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 18th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

In my experience, doctors in any field are not notorious for their understanding. Normally, they're quite set in their attitudes. Best you can do is go in as well-informed as you can, and demand the best care. She'll either get it or she won't.

Old November 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
In my experience, doctors in any field are not notorious for their understanding. Normally, they're quite set in their attitudes. Best you can do is go in as well-informed as you can, and demand the best care. She'll either get it or she won't.
How very true hazel!
I saved the report to paint and tried uploading it to here but it keeps saying the file is too big. If I make it any smaller no one will be able to read it.

Old November 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I swear I think she still has the impression that I am a hoarder.
14K, that must be incredibly frustrating! I remember seeing in one of your posts that she wanted to come see your set up. Did that ever happen? Grrr. How annoying!!!!
Old November 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjesak View Post
14K, that must be incredibly frustrating! I remember seeing in one of your posts that she wanted to come see your set up. Did that ever happen? Grrr. How annoying!!!!
Nope. I am not allowing anyone in until all the kitties are feeling better. Most of them are great but I am not taking chances. I think it was more curiousity to see how the cats are treated more than an honest desire to see what I do.
If she's lucky I may let her come out in the spring. Her partner wants to come out as well.

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't understand why she did not test him for heartworms right away,if that is what he has,the sooner treatment starts the better,right
Brownie certainly does not look sick,now I know who he is,a beautiful,beautiful boy
I have always gotten the impression,some vets just don't think you know anything and they get annoyed if you come up with your own suggestions.
Suggestions that come from years of experience and knowing your own animals.
for Meowsers test-results to be good
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
How very true hazel!
I saved the report to paint and tried uploading it to here but it keeps saying the file is too big. If I make it any smaller no one will be able to read it.
14+ did you try compressing it? I've found it's harder to save into paint, because it tends to save things really large. Most computers allow you to save as a pdf file. That might be easier.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I scanned and saved mine into a pdf file to upload and works great.

I am so happy Brownie is doing so well . for continued improvement.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Slave to the Kitties

that all the kitties will be ok.
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:51 AM
-

I'm so glad to hear that Brownie is still doing well but if she was my vet, I would really be soooo completely frustrated. I really dislike people that are judgemental.

Hope Brownie continues to improve and good luck ith Meowze'rs results.
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:54 AM

He's looking good

Blood work response is in pm.

Has Brownie been coughing at all? I'm not talking about vomiting or retching but actual coughing. That would be an indicator towards heart issues ie heartworm.

The panting was likely the lack of oxygen in the red blood cells caused by anaemia. The anaemia, jaundice & liver numbers would respond to the pred. which is also helping the appetite - that in turn will also be good for the liver since we all know what happens to the liver in a cat that eats less than normal amounts of food over a prolonged period.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
He's looking good

Blood work response is in pm.

Has Brownie been coughing at all? I'm not talking about vomiting or retching but actual coughing. That would be an indicator towards heart issues ie heartworm.

The panting was likely the lack of oxygen in the red blood cells caused by anaemia. The anaemia, jaundice & liver numbers would respond to the pred. which is also helping the appetite - that in turn will also be good for the liver since we all know what happens to the liver in a cat that eats less than normal amounts of food over a prolonged period.
Thank you very much growler for your immediate response! I appreciate it. I wish the vet would work that way.
No Brownie has not been coughing. From the research I have done on heartworm in cats it is rarer for cats to get it. I mentioned it because I was not getting any answers from the vet except for euthanize and Brownie's outlook was grim. And of course catlover2 mentioned it earlier in this thread which I also appreciate.
She did explain the panting. He is not doing that any more thank dawg!
rainbow - I pray daily for Brownie's continued improvement. I may have a lot of cats but it doesn't mean I do not love each and every one of them. It is frustrating for me. To the point where I am looking for another vet who is willing to work with me.

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

That vets comment about Brownie,would be the same as a doctor telling a mother"you have so many kids,if one dies it should not matter too much":sad:
There is not one person here,I am sure,who does not feel Brownies little life is worth fighting for and I you get the opportunity to show her,how wrong she was.
Every little life is important

If you lived closer to me,I would recommend my vet,he is a good vet,even though my cats don't agree..
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
That vets comment about Brownie,would be the same as a doctor telling a mother"you have so many kids,if one dies it should not matter too much":sad:
There is not one person here,I am sure,who does not feel Brownies little life is worth fighting for and I you get the opportunity to show her,how wrong she was.
Every little life is important
I would have a hard time with my vet telling me that euth is a good decision without fully explaining why. I have seen my vet cry when she has had to put down an animal she has worked with .... it should not be an easy solution for the vet.
Thank you for fighting for Brownie and all your other charges under your diligent care!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Mmmm, I think I've heard that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
I would have a hard time with my vet telling me that euth is a good decision without fully explaining why. I have seen my vet cry when she has had to put down an animal she has worked with .... it should not be an easy solution for the vet.
Thank you for fighting for Brownie and all your other charges under your diligent care!
I really think this vet is a little jaded. She sees a case where there is multiple cats and not a huge amount of funds available and she thinks that the person would not be willing to work to get the cat healthy. I guess she never met me before. I'm sure if she has seen the cats for quite some time that she has feelings for that cat. At least I hope so.
I'm not sure she even thinks I took the cats to a vet before.
And thank you QMC.

Old November 19th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

My old vet from many years ago,cried with me,when,Sammy,Peppi and Cookie had to be put down,I am sure for many vets it's not an easy thing to do.

Usually a vet can tell what the owner is all about and this one is certainly wrong about you,she does not know how much you love all of them and what great care you take for all the kitties,money or not.