Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM

*frustration* with ongoing peeing issues

Spud is still not back to normal with urination, despite 2 and a half weeks of antibiotics and a complete diet change. He seemed ok for about a week after the antibiotics, and now he's back to almost as bad as he was before. He doesn't cry and strain, but seems to wait long periods of time, urinates quite a large amount, and then he's out of the catbox without covering up, to lick and lick and LICK his poor self for a few minutes after.

I'm not sure what to do. He is on a Wellness wet diet with Vets Best Urinary Tract Support pills daily. He plays and drinks and eats normally, EXCEPT for today when he left most of his food. I really don't want to have to take him back to the vet so soon, because I feel like all these trips are going to aggravate the leukemia, or maybe it already has and he has some type of bladder cancer or something HELP!
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats+horse View Post
He is on a Wellness wet diet with Vets Best Urinary Tract Support pills daily.
Why is he on the Vets Best Urinary Tract Support pills? These contain ascorbic acid, which may be a risk factor in some cats for developing calcium oxalate crystals. At the very least, it would be a good idea to monitor Spud's urine ph while he's taking them. You can get test strips from a health food store and dip them in a urine sample acquired by sliding a shallow jar lid under his butt while he's peeing.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:23 AM

The reason WHY he is on the pills is because they are called Urinary Tract support, and I have read rave reviews, and also had them recommended to me at a natural pet food store, and I thought why not help him out a bit if possible... but apparently I am doing the wrong thing AGAIN.

Isn't Ascorbic acid just Vitamin C? I would think that would just flush through the body. But it's not a problem to just stop feeding him the pills, if you think they may be causing him an issue.

P.S. WTF is with products that claim one thing and do the opposite
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The reason WHY he is on the pills is because they are called Urinary Tract support, and I have read rave reviews, and also had them recommended to me at a natural pet food store,
I understand, and in some cases this might indeed be helpful. But not every product is going to be applicable to every situation (don't believe the hype!). It's important to know what the nature of Spud's urinary tract issues are first in order to choose the right treatment plan. This product contains cranberry, which may acidify the urine, and that may be useful if struvite crystals are a problem and the urine isn't acidic enough. But what if the urine is already quite acidic, and it's actually calcium oxalate crystals that are present? This product would then be inappropriate and possibly harmful.

Quote:
Isn't Ascorbic acid just Vitamin C? I would think that would just flush through the body.
Yes, but where does it flush out? Through the bladder and urinary tract. As oxalate. From this site: http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
Quote:
....unless there is a high metabolic need or inadequate amounts are being synthesized by the body, a dietary source of ascorbic acid is unnecessary in cats. In addition to being unwarranted, ascorbic acid supplementation in cats may be detrimental. Excess ascorbic acid is excreted in the urine as oxalate, and high concentrations of oxalate have the potential to contribute to the formation of calcium oxalate uroliths in the urinary tract.
Quote:
P.S. WTF is with products that claim one thing and do the opposite
I've basically learned to research everything. I don't trust the manufactures, the store clerks, not even vets when it comes to giving medications, supplements, food, whatever, to my cats. They are just such unique creatures and everything we do around them requires careful consideration of the consequences.

Having said that, here is a link and some info on supplements that you might want to look into:
http://holisticat.com/flutd.html

D-mannose, a sugar extracted from cranberries that binds with bacteria in the bladder/urinary tract and can help treat/prevent UTIs that are caused by E-coli or Klebsiella.

Colloidal silver is another, broader spectrum anti-bacterial.

Glucosamine can strengthen the lining of the bladder and help prevent inflammation from cystitis.

Marshmallow root powder sooth's inflamed mucus membranes of the bladder and urinary tract.

Adding extra water to the food helps flush crystals and debris out before they can clump and become a problem.

Stress is also a big factor to consider, keeping in mind that what causes anxiety in cats may be quite different than for people. Cats thrive on routine, so as much as is feasible, maintaining a regular schedule with set meal times and play times etc, can help increase a cat's confidence. Minimizing boredom, thought to be a significant issue related to idiopathic cystitis in indoor cats, is also very important. A couple Feliway diffusers in areas that kitties usually hang out can help promote a sense of calm and relaxation.

Hope that helps somewhat! Good luck.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler