Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Personal pet blogs

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM

My New Life, by Penny the Chihuahua

Hi folks! My name is Penny (it was Speedy) up until July 18th when I was adopted from Animatch.

My previous life was pretty boring. I lived with other chi's for 5 years in a large, clean garage, where me and the other females had babies once or twice a year. Recently, the "breeder" decided to change stock, and 5 of us wound up at Animatch. Wow, what a difference! I finally got to go outside and see what grass was all about.

The kind people at the rescue had told me how I would be going to a brand new home to begin a new life, and I couldn't wait. They told me about things like "toys", and "playtime" and such, and although I had no idea what they meant, I was game to find out.

On July 18th, me and 2 other chi's were herded into a room where a nice lady was waiting to choose from the 3 of us. I wanted to make a good impression, so I got to her first and gave her as many little chi kisses as I could and begged her to pick me up so she could see what a sweetheart I can be.

Well, I heard the lady say to the boss at Animatch, "Well, I think I've been chosen". She meant ME !!!! I was so happy.

So here I am, in my new home, with a toy poddle sister, and 2 big cat brothers. So many new things that I've never seen or heard .... mirrors, TV's, verticle blinds that clatter ...... scarey stuff! But I'm slowly getting used to the new things around me.

More later .......
Attached Images

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:58 AM

Penny you are one lucky girl to be so loved!I know you will return that love because I can see it in your face!What a sweet poochie you are!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM

My First Weekend

When I lived in the garage at the breeders, we had newspapers all over the garage floor, so we did out business wherever we wanted.

My new owner, Janet, keeps taking me outside, but except for rolling in the soft grass, I don't know what else she wants me to do (??). There are newspapers all over the house, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with them. My new sister, Abbie, does her "business" outside, but me, I just go wherever I want, although I am getting the idea that maybe I'm supposed to go on the newspapers. There are just so many new things around me, that I keep forgetting. At least Janet is patient with me. Gee, she's a nice lady.

We tried to go for a walk the other night, but I had never seen cars on the street and they scared the daylights out of me. So we are going to go slowly with that business! For now, I'm content just exploring the big fenced yard behind Janet's house, and digging in the soft earth.

Janet doesn't know what kind of life I had before, so she doesn't understand why I cower down and cringe when she goes to pick me up, and I can't tell her of the things I've been through either. I am learning to trust her, but old habits die hard.

One thing I love is cuddling with Janet in her big soft bed at night. I try to get as close to her as possible, but she doesn't seem to like it when I drape myself across her throat. She gently pushes me down beside her, where I nuzzle in for a nice night's sleep. Abbie, the poodle, sleeps on the other side of her, and between the 2 of us, we keep Janet warm and safe. Last night, both the big cats were on the bed too ....... the more, the merrier!

I really love my new home and I follow Janet wherever she goes in the house. When she leaves for a few hours, I am content to get on the sofa with my sister, Abbie, and sleep until she comes back. I don't bark, because I learned that dogs that bark end up at the vet's for an "operation", and I didn't want that. So I am ever so quiet. Janet wonders if I even have a voice ..... one day, maybe, I'll say something; but for now - I'm on my best behavior.

Attached Images

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
-

Thanks so much for rescuing this sweetie, I never seem to be able to get off of this forum without a cry. Penny you were my cry for today, absorb all the love you will get and blossom.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face sweetheart of a dog

goodness me!! penny you are so cute. wish i could cuddle you right now, you are just adorable! and lucky too, janet sounds lovley and patient. so sorry to hear about your past, but at least now your in luck cos someone as nice as janet loves. i should think about going to a rescue shelter and finding a doggie just like you

kisses to you penny

paws 4 thought

soter
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:42 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soter View Post
goodness me!! penny you are so cute. wish i could cuddle you right now, you are just adorable! and lucky too, janet sounds lovley and patient. so sorry to hear about your past, but at least now your in luck cos someone as nice as janet loves. i should think about going to a rescue shelter and finding a doggie just like you

kisses to you penny

paws 4 thought

soter
soter - THAT is probably the best thing you could possibly do!

Penny is a very lucky girl to have landed herself in such a plush life! Thank you so much Janet for rescuing this little sweetie!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
banned user

While i was reading this, there was a very sad song in the backround (my borther is watching tv) And I cried and cried and cried. Im Juts now, able to write a reply and i read it 20 mintues ago:sad: .. Penny, Thank janet for me, She is such a sweetheart for taking youin, And you deserve all of the pampering your getting. God has already blessed you sweet little one, Now its your job to just lay back, and live a happy life.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh what a sad life Penny had , I am glad she now gets to live her life the way she should, lots of loves and cuddles

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
-

I just love hearing about dogs adopted after being in a puppy mill / BYB.

Kudos to Animatch and to Janet for giving this little cutie pie a real chance at life
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Such a sweet little face and such a lucky little girl!

Penny, you deserve all the good things you're gonna get from here on out!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Hey Janet,
Quite the coincidence but I adopted LouLou from Animatch as well! So I have one of the gang here with me! LouLou does the same thing, she grovels on the ground and rolls over when you pick go to pick her up. LouLou is clean in the house for the most part though. Sometimes I miss the signal as she's so quiet and we have a little spot to pick up but I'll learn to pay better attention. Maybe LouLou and Speedy could have a get together?
Jenn
Attached Images

Last edited by BMDLuver; July 23rd, 2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Adding a photo
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

she is so cute jenn,!! i knew you got her way to go brenda

Last edited by the gang; July 23rd, 2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: mistake
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what a sad story Penny had,but her luck has certainly turned,can't help thinking of the others left behind,but at least they are in a safe place.

BMDlover,I did not even know you had a Chi,Lou-Lou is adorable
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
OMG,what a sad story Penny had,but her luck has certainly turned,can't help thinking of the others left behind,but at least they are in a safe place.

BMDlover,I did not even know you had a Chi,Lou-Lou is adorable
Hey Chico, she's from the same BYB as Speedy now known as Penny. I just adopted her a week ago. Made it official yesterday. She's a doll and the boys like her just as much as my kids do!

Thanks Brenda! She was way too cute to resist and I have always wanted a tiny chi!

Janet, how is Penny? I know she was not well a few days ago? I hope she has recovered!
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

sounds like you fell in love!!!! just like i did with rosie, thanks to you and melissa!!!!! by the way rosie is doing supper!!!!, just got a email from kim at gerdys last night they have a little min pin they found in the rain the other night, oh lord here i go again, not to sure if i can do 6---- but if not i know who to call right, take care brenda..and the pins
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:24 AM

Hi Jenn, I noticed on the "fan mail" section of Animatch's site your letter regarding LouLou. I had actually asked first about LouLou, but she was already taken. When I walked into Helen's, there were 3 chi's left and Penny (then Speedy) ran up to me with kisses, and I knew I had been chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
Hey Janet,
Quite the coincidence but I adopted LouLou from Animatch as well! So I have one of the gang here with me! LouLou does the same thing, she grovels on the ground and rolls over when you pick go to pick her up. LouLou is clean in the house for the most part though. Sometimes I miss the signal as she's so quiet and we have a little spot to pick up but I'll learn to pay better attention. Maybe LouLou and Speedy could have a get together?
Jenn
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:35 AM

Update on Penny

Well, it's been a couple of weeks now since Janet adopted me, and she keeps telling me that I've "come a long way" ....

As long as Janet is regular with the schedule, I remember to do my business outside, but I still have accidents from time-to-time. At least I don't cower when she tries to pick me up anymore - at least not as much as I used to.

I still am not sure what "playing" is all about, but I do get excited and race all around the backyard when Janet claps her hands at me. What fun it is to run and play in the grass!

I have my own spot on the bed now, as does Abbie (the toy poodle) and the 2 cats (when they are inside at night), and I don't move until Janet's alarm goes off in the morning. That's when she has to get me outside real fast for me to do my "business". Then it's breakfast time and I still eat like it's my last meal. Gotta learn to slow down and that no one is going to steal my food.

I've learned to take cookes from Janet's hand without being scared. I used to run up to her and grab the cookie before she could grab me (again memories of my old life I think). Now I take the cookie nicely without fear that she'll do something awful to me.

Oh ... I did finally find my voice! I don't sound the alarm often, but when I do, Janet laughs 'cause I don't seem to quite know what I am barking about - usually a strange noise or something outside. Once I know what the noise is, I don't have to bark at it next time I hear it.

I heard that my sister LouLou is not far away from me and that another nice rescue lady had adopted her. Oh, how nice it would be to see LouLou again!

Penny
Attached Images

Last edited by SOS MIOW; August 19th, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: picture
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
Janet, how is Penny? I know she was not well a few days ago? I hope she has recovered!

Penny did have some sort of nasty gastro 2 days after I brought her home and had to stay at the vet's overnite to be hydrated. I didn't know so much fluid could come out of such a tiny little dog .....

But she recovered quickly, was on antibiotics for a few days, and was as good as new by the end of the week. No idea what brought it on .... maybe nerves.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
-

She looks a little angel She must feel that she is in heaven after the ordeal that she went through in her previous life.
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Penny is adorable! Did she do that damage to the garden?
What a sweetie. Thanks for being so patient with her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Congrads... both of you! be patient with each other. My long hair chuhuahua is a special sevice Dog, rescued from a puppyfarm + But for 3 yrs now he has helped me live!
All the best!
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM

Penny has settled in completely now and is quite as ease with everything. She is a little timid with strangers, but warms up once she sees that they mean no harm. She follows me everywhere and is my little sweetheart!

My poodle is now totally deaf and is starting to have problems seeing. Her legs (knees) are giving her a lot of problems and she has good and bad days. I am keeping a close eye on her, as she is 13 yrs old and I don't want her to suffer.

I was told that Abbie will "let me now" when it is time to go over the bridge.
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Well how lucky for you to get to live with such a loving lady. You will hopefully soon forget your old life. Maybe it will seem like a bad dream. But you are safe now. And how lucky for LouLou too. Maybe you will get to have a playdate. I love happy endings
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Penny, you sound like the perfect little Love. Help your Mom keep an eye on your sister, k? They both count on you! And tell your Mom that we'll keep Abbie in our thoughts and prayers...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."