Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Mental Pause...

OK so I think I have hit menopause. No period for three months, no PMS,no hot flashes and no emotional out bursts. I am not normal...so my friends say. OR am I just entering a honeymoon stage and then all hell will break loose? I cannot take HRT because I had a stroke a few years ago. My doctor told my poor husband he would just have to live with a biatch for about 10 years. Ya think? My doctor has a wonderful bent sense of humor. I am seriously thinking if horns appear, Prozac and vodka in mass doses will keep me sedated and husband happy. LOL just joking, I don't drink. So any opinions? Positive only..no flaming please as I am sure if hot flashes kick in, I will be able to roast myself.

Thanks

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post

OK so I think I have hit menopause. No period for three months, no PMS,no hot flashes and no emotional out bursts. I am not normal...so my friends say. OR am I just entering a honeymoon stage and then all hell will break loose? I cannot take HRT because I had a stroke a few years ago. My doctor told my poor husband he would just have to live with a biatch for about 10 years. Ya think? My doctor has a wonderful bent sense of humor. I am seriously thinking if horns appear, Prozac and vodka in mass doses will keep me sedated and husband happy. LOL just joking, I don't drink. So any opinions? Positive only..no flaming please as I am sure if hot flashes kick in, I will be able to roast myself.

Thanks
...I can soooo relate! I like the Vodka idea, but I would rather do Ativan than Prozac....

I think I am in the early stages of "MANopause" as I like to call it, because hubby can't get within 2ft of me without me growling and going off like a firecracker. :sad: I feel bad for him, I haven't been the easiest to live with lately, I have definately given an all new meaning to Biatch!:sad:..
Stress, heat, menopause...does a make!
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
-

The Seven Dwarfs of Menopause ....
Attached Images

Old July 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
-

And, my all-time favourite .....

Quote:
Have you ever noticed how all of women's problems start with MEN ???

1. MENtal illness

2. MENstrual cramps

3. MENtal breakdown

4. MENopause

5. GUYnecologist

And, when we have real trouble, it's a

6. HISterectomy.

Old July 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sure sounds like it. The flashes sneak up on you. One day you feel pleasantly warm; the next the heat grabs you by the throat and hangs on. Worse when the sweating happens. I'm past that part thank you. It sucks to be standing there talking to a customer and using the sleeve of your sweater to wipe the sweat from your brow before it puddles on your lashes and stings like a *****!
Then when you have a flash and you can feel your face turning red. That's where I am. And the crankiness.... y'know, when you were supposed to have your monthly but didn't. You still get the mood swings. They forgot to tell you that in MEANOPAUSE101. Oh yeah, you still have all that to look forward to. I promise. It won't let you miss a thing.
I don't take anything for it either. I figure I put up with my man's attitude all the time. He can put up with mine / for a few years.
The only good thing about going through this is you don't have that nasty Aunt Flo visiting all the time and you save money on pads and tampons (sorry guys). But don't worry, you make up for it spending on chocolate!!!!
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Y'know, I've been thinking about just this topic a lot (between hot flashes, of course... ) and I've come to the conclusion that perimenopausal women don't get b****y from mood swings...they've simply matured enough to realize that they just don't wanna put up with all the s*** from the spouse any more. Under the influence of estrogen, it used to be tolerable...but take away estrogens soporific effect and women suddenly regain their sanity.

That's my story and madame hazel is stickin' to it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I just had to respond here, I have been through the peri and the manopause and I still get the flashes...mostly it is at night when I am sleeping soundly then my whole body justs feels like it is meliting away...wet, no soaking, it is getting better I only have these once a month maybe now but holy crow they were the nastys, I am still a young woman of 52 almost53 but I sure hope it goes away
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Garden nut

Research evening primrose oil for menopause. It's available OTC I believe.

Quote:
I would rather do Ativan than Prozac
OMG you would be shocked at what's in those drugs. There's a great new documentary out called "Generation Rx." Everyone should watch it, especially families with children. I saw it last weekend and highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehHwkPpevk
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; July 26th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

You might be lucky and the honeymoon stage may last right through menopause. I "went" menopausal at age 57 - 2 years ago - and so far no hot flashes or any of the other symptoms commonly associated with it - other than those I have always had - insomnia, very dry skin/hair - that type of thing. My blood pressure is still perfect and cholesterol is good. Of course I have never been warm in my life - I have a lot of body acid - not stomach - I am just a walking acid machine - and do not sweat - ever - which of course is not good and causes its own problems. Due to my extremely dry skin and hair I decided to start estrogen - use just one pump a day and also take one prometrium pill - started this about 6 months in simply to help with the dry skin issues. Hope all goes well for you since you can't take the estrogen. Re the suggestion of Evening Primose Oil - yes, that does help many people - but I would not be one of them. I have rosacea and it caused it to flare like crazy. But you might be lucky.
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Research evening primrose oil for menopause. It's available OTC I believe.

OMG you would be shocked at what's in those drugs. There's a great new documentary out called "Generation Rx." Everyone should watch it, especially families with children. I saw it last weekend and highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xehHwkPpevk
I was just joking. I was on Ativan for my anxiety/panic disorder, and to help get control of my OCD tendancies a few years ago.
It helped but I didn't like the side effects so I quit taking it. It is reserved strictly for dentist appointments and flying, which rarely happens.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Oil of Evening Primrose did absolutely nothing for my hot flashes and night sweats but Black Cohosh helped. 40 mg. at bedtime. Only problem, it interferes with thyroid medication. Had to stop taking it. Shouldn't take it longer than 6 months anyway.
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't take ginger, but there is some sort of Australian Ginger that is supposed to be good for symtoms. Re Evening Primrose Oil - if you sign on to Makeup Alley - and I do take many of their recommendations with a grain of salt, you will see that many people love EPO, but then all of a sudden you will see posts from people who, like me, had horrible skin reactions to it - and then asked why nobody posted said horrible reactions - well, people did - I was one of them.