Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old November 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Two problems, Mice / Hot flashes

Not sure which is worse!! I thought I saw something run about two weeks ago when I opened my laundry room door, but convinced myself it was my imagination. Today I found mouse droppings on my counter . Of course I cleaned it well, and I don't think it's been around long, I clean the counters all the time. Where were my dogs? Why didn't they tell me we had intruders?? What to do though is the big question? I guess I'll have to get a couple little mouse traps, I know they work, but I hate to kill them (especially on the counter).

Next problem, hot flashes What herbal things help with this, anybody got any suggestions on that?

Thanks for listening.
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have the same problems here.

Tell ya what....as a stopgap till we find a remedy, I'll send you hubby and half the Pack. They won't cure either problem, but it's good for a lot of belly laughs watching the mice chase hubby and dogs down the hall.

You think I jest?

And, while you're laughing hard enough to make you cry, you don't notice the hot flashes so much

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
-

Regarding the Mice DD, last year we had quite the infestation ..with the exception of Kale earning his keep with a couple, the rest I caught systematically with a humane trap. It only caught one at a time and cost about $4 in Home Hardware, but it worked a treat. In the last year I have caught one in the trap, (I leave it out on the counter always) and Kale caught one

Hot Flashes.....one thing I know of that does work is Evening Primrose Oil....it's been a few years since my experience with HF's, maybe now they have a myriad of things available
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the offer Hazel. I don't think my halls are big enough for all of my crew and half of yours running from the mice! I saw a live trap at the hardware store, but it was $24. It held multiple mice, but now it appears the mice are not just in the kitchen (obviously) but in all ends of the house. So having one trap in one room is probably not going to solve the problem. I put a couple kill traps out (sorry, I hate it too) but so far nothing, which is okay. Maybe they took the message and left (yeah probably not).

Haven't had the hot flashes for two nights now, what a treat! Thanks Chris, I had an idea it was primrose, but wasn't certain. Guess I'll have to find myself a health store and go ask.

Tks ladies. I suggested to hubby that we should go adopt a cat by the way, that didn't fly really well!
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog-Dancer,we too had mice one year,first we checked outside to see how they got in,all they need is a tiny hole.
We found the place,right where the a/c hose goes downstairs from outside.
They had chewed right through the filler.
Then we placed humane cheap black plastic-traps(canadian tire) in my cupboards and in other places,some people use poison,but we put in peanuts or birdseeds and they work.
If you don't find how they get in,they'll just return after you release them.

As for HF,I was on estrogen for a while,did not feel good about it,so I bought HRT made by Swiss Naturals,about $19 for a bottle of 80 and it worksof course that was a long time ago
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM

try this , i hope it works.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4897223_make-mouse-traps.html
Attached Images

Old November 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_queen View Post
try this , i hope it works.
love the pic

Dog Dancer , you would need at least 3 cats ..... because you always have 2 that just sits there and watch the mouse explore the house I think they find it entertaining

they have plug ins in hardware stores , it suppose to make a sound that only mice can hear (is ok for cats and dogs) and that sound makes them out of the house don't know if it works ....
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Years ago when my midlife crisis started I asked a pharmacist what he would recommend. 'Cause you know a male has lots of knowledge about menopause. After all, they're the ones who cause it. Anyway, he told me about Black Cohosh. I got some and tried it. Don't know if it was because I was in the midst of stopping smoking at the same time or what but I didn't have much luck with it. Maybe it would help you.

http://www.naturalrelief.com/land01....FQohDQodd2QOkQ

As for the mice........ how many kitties do you want me to send?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post

Haven't had the hot flashes for two nights now, what a treat! Thanks Chris, I had an idea it was primrose, but wasn't certain. Guess I'll have to find myself a health store and go ask.

You can buy it at the drugstore DD.

Tks ladies. I suggested to hubby that we should go adopt a cat by the way, that didn't fly really well!
Don't they always throw a wrench in good ideas
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Man, not only is it the Year of the Mice, but they all seem to be on steroids! hubby put two live traps out in the garage last night and they were both missing by morning! What the heck?!?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all for the tips. Hazel that made me laugh, the traps are gone! I guess I'll go look for some humane traps, you guys make me feel guilty. I haven't caught any mice yet anyhow, but I don't see any new poop either.
I suspect that they are coming in from the window downstairs. My tenant leaves her living room window open and there is no screen on it. We've had a lot of rain lately and their little dens are flooding out.

As for the hot flashes, so far the past few nights it's okay, but I will head to the drug store today on the way home for the primrose oil stuff and give it a try.

Tks all for the input. I appreciate every bit of it. Dragon Queen that pic is hilarious. I will try this trap as well.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Performance Spaniels

We had a mouse issue for some years in our basement. We searched for every possible hole and plugged the few tiny ones we found. Took until last year to find it. Under the drywall in the garage was a tiny hole leading to the basement ceiling. They caused endless detestation to the basement though we kept killing them, more kept coming in. Chewed wires, plastic..

Can't say I'd risk live trapping as then they have the chance to come back again. And once one has foudn their way in they seem to invite more.

We got the victor plastic snap traps that pop open from the back so there is no chance of setting them off yourself, nor a need to touch the dead mouse after. Certainly don't enjoy killing mice, but they really can cause a lot of devastation and their endless incontinence and disease isn't something I'm up for either.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmm I was thinking of wine and cheese...guess who the cheese is for...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Shaykeija - good idea, if I drink enough wine I won't care about the mice or the hot flashes!
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If you share with the mice, maybe they'll get careless and slow and become easier to catch!

Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well no update on the hot flashes as such, but the mice are still around. Have not caught any yet, but saw one run across the kitchen last night. The dogs just don't care at all. Then, last night when I went to bed I pulled down the sheets and mouse poop in the bed Oh man do I want these beesties out of my house!!! I am also tired of disinfecting the counters every time I want to use the kitchen.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
hubby put two live traps out in the garage last night and they were both missing by morning! What the heck?!?
holy crap Hazel , how big is your mice ?

Quote:
mouse poop in the bed
omg

when I moved in this house , it had been empty for 2-3 months , with mouse traps and dead ones in it. I didn't have a bed for the 2 first weeks , only a small folded couch very low to the ground , I was terrified that a mouse might jump on me in the middle of the night I kept the dogs real close
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Sadly Frenchy my dogs don't seem to care, I kept hubby close last night. I told him if I felt anything tickling my toes I wanted to be able to assume it was him!

I've had rats that stole my traps Hazel, but never mice... You had Mighty Mouse in your garage!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
-

Quote:
Sadly Frenchy my dogs don't seem to care,
I don't think Daisy and Bailey would have done anything either .... heck even the cats didn't do nothing when the first alive one got in .... Monsieur le chat was stretching on the kitchen island while Paddington was playing with the mouse in the hallway I had to .... terminate "it" myself guess they got the message because a couple months later , they left a half dead corpse right outside my bedroom one morning , probably to show me : "there mom , we killed one , but we're not eating the rear end"
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

LOL

We finally found the traps wedged here and there. Still haven't caught Mighty Mouse, either

Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

The way I discovered I had mice,was that my potatoes had been eatenthen one night while I was watching TV,one came running with Vinnie in hot pursuit
.Vinnie did not catch it,I have no idea where the mouse went
They are cute little buggers,but I prefer to see them outside.
When we had them in the attic,keeping me awake,the only thing we could do,was to put poison up there,it's a terrible way for the little guys to die,but we had no other option:sad:
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

My lab Halo has caught a mole out at the park before, but for some reason she doesn't care about the mice in the house. I was thinking about humane traps, but now that they're pooping in my bed all bets are off. I sadly went out and bought a bunch of snap traps because they've declared war. I can't afford that many humane traps and don't want to put just one out. Sorry about that guys, it breaks my heart to do it really. I think they're awfully cute, but I don't like the poops all over the house
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog Dancer,I don't think anyone is blaming you,you do what you have to do and mice-poop in my bed would totally freak me out
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
-

you won't see me heartbroken about that

but , mice are vermine

I heard sometimes with traps , it can get .... splashy
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

we had the mouse problem the last two winters while the house was under reno's.. we ended up having to use more than one type of trap and poisons.. Some would go to one thing but not the others... only HUUUUGE peice of advice i would give is if you use poison only put it behind appliances where your pets can't get to it. oh and just for info,,set traps along the walls, thats where mice usually travel the most.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
love the pic

Dog Dancer , you would need at least 3 cats ..... because you always have 2 that just sits there and watch the mouse explore the house I think they find it entertaining

they have plug ins in hardware stores , it suppose to make a sound that only mice can hear (is ok for cats and dogs) and that sound makes them out of the house don't know if it works ....
Nope, you need more than that. I had a mouse in my house about a month ago with three cats staring at it, even Rose who you would think after being feral for 3 years would learn catch and kill first, play after .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
.Vinnie did not catch it,I have no idea where the mouse went
Having babies

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Nope, you need more than that. I had a mouse in my house about a month ago with three cats staring at it, even Rose who you would think after being feral for 3 years would learn catch and kill first, play after .
you're feeding them too well
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Splashy??? I haven't gone with any poisons yet, that would be my last resort. The traps I bought a few of them won't be able to snap the dogs if they sniff them, and a few are just regular snaps that will go under furniture and stuff where the dogs can't get at them. The problem with poisons like I said also is they die much slower and then you don't always know where the dead (and smelly) bodies are. Uck. I wish I could just leave the door open and tell them to go away! And I would have thought a cat like Rose would be a good mouser. I figure indoor cats are too well fed to care too much about it as a rule. My two old cats would not have bothered that's for sure.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
-

Here are some other solutions , the plug ins I was talking about :

http://www.gooddeals.com/category/49/Mouse+Control.aspx