Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old November 5th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Angry

We check our trap every evening. We leave it open all night if the weather is mild. No news yet on the fourth day and I am sinking into a blue funk. How do you keep going? We haven't had a sighting since last Saturday.
Old November 5th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Hi Elaine, I know this is one of the most difficult things I've been through, honestly. I can't think overly too much about her or I break down, I am trying to focus on this moment,kind of thing. I keep picturing her out there on her own and it actually makes my stomach turn,like I'm sick. Apparently there was a sighting of her last night. The couple this time actually came within 3 ft of catching her and she bolted! Shes so petrified....They said shes all dirty and unkept looking(after almost 3 weeks though thats kind of inevitable). The last 2 sightings she has been seen nosing in the ditches, I assume looking for food. The breeder went out last night and spread food in the ditches for a 2 km(which is good and bad, I guess it keeps her from starving,but it also drives her closer to the roads) They are hoping to go back tonight to see if they can see her in ditches. They are hopefully going to set the trap sometime today, we are waiting on permission from local farmers to have it on their land. We had no calls on Abbey for a week at a time as well, Its not that nobody didn't see her they either didn't have the flyer or didn't bother calling till a couple of days later. Hang in there, Elaine....boy I know its tough!
Are you moving the trap around or are you keeping it in the one spot?
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I still wish you both all the luck. Now its got to the point where I can't think of Jasper without thinking of Abbey. You seem to be both so close to getting both back....I hope some day they can somehow meet. Again I wish you all the luck...are you both offering rewards? Maybe some people that have seen her may go out again with some food the next time just so they can collect the money.
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Hi Cpietra16

Most definitely there is a reward being offered!!!!!!!!
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Sheltielover,It's so very sad to read your posts and those of Elaine,it's just heartbreaking :sad:
I lost one of my cats only for an hour and just about went into hysterics,thinking of him alone and scared.
But please don't loose hope,maybe someone is feeding her and she sticks around that area,maybe somewhere rural where they have not seen the posters.
I am hoping for some good news soon,we've had instances where dogs/cats have been found and returned home after a very long time.
I know everyone here thinks of you both and wish for a wonderful outcome
Old November 5th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Our trap is up...wish us luck, we need it....... I'm heading out tomorrow to Belleville for another search and to put some of my clothing and her toys in the trap. I REALLY hope this works!!!
Old November 5th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Good Luck! I'll say a prayer for you!
Old November 5th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes,me too,with all my being and tons of good vibes :love:
Old November 6th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

There is a whole bunch of positive vibs travelling from Pointe Claire,Quebec...to you....
Old November 6th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck today Sheltielover.

The spot Abbey was last seen in is very well travelled so heres hoping she is found soon
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM

We just got home after a full day of searching and no luck, we looked everywhere again:sad: Nothing has been to the trap,not even another animal. Its so cold and windy out tonight I wanted to bring her home sooo bad. I hope shes still ok,and taking cover. I threw lots of food out hoping she comes across it...... I'm feeling really down,my poor girl needs to be with me,and I need her
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Some people think this is odd or strange but sometimes it works...

Use or borrow a portable BBQ or coleman stove...buy some hamburger and hot dogs....

Go to the LAST KNOW area she was in and TAKE ANOTHER DOG with her that she KNOWS and is friends with!!!

RUB a towel ALL OVER that dog get it's scent and even let the dog urinate on the towel (gross I know)

Tie a rope to the towel and drag it behind you walking EVERYWHERE and anywhere but ALWAYS leading back to the SAME place.

IF you know or have a friend or someone that lives in that area before you leave .....give them the towel and rub your friends dog with it again.

THIS HAS to be a dog your dog knows and likes.

Anyways if not a dog you can rub the towel all over YOU OR wear a pair of same socks for a couple of days and do this with the socks.

Leave either towel or socks with the person who lives closest....have them go back there daily and do the same thing....if the dog smells the same smell there every day it will return. AND ALWAYS leave food and WATER there ALWAYS!!!!!

NOW the BBQ session, set it up and start cooking stay there for a few hours, camp out and let the smell whaf the air. CALL out to your dog in a happy loving voice...tell her to come get COOKIES or whatever word you know that she knows for food. Do this often and LOUDLY...and keep walking around with that towel dragging behind you OR the socks from a rope make sure it makes contact to the ground. Take food with you drop pieces of food in trails ALWAYS leading back to the same spot. Try not to use kibbles, use something stinky like meatballs or pieces of cooked hot dogs.

Best of luck if you have any questions let me know I wish I were closer to help you.

God Bless

Last edited by Luba; November 6th, 2005 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling doh
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

It must be agonizing. Our hearts are really with you and all the other people who are looking for their animals. One thing I don't understand, apart from the emotional bond she has with you, at say a more basic level, isn't she turning her back on her pack? Or is she just so freaked out she can't think straight?
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:46 PM

Badger,

From things I've read about lost dogs,its because they are so petrified,they start to loose trust in everybody and are scared of everything,so I don't think its so much turning her back on us,just very wary of people.....

I left a shirt I was wearing yesterday, and a towel I rubbed all over my Golden, and another shirt I rubbed all over her son "Duke". I even left a stuffed animal that the cats played with to put inside the trap. I'm trying everything I can think of....Thanks for the good advise Luba!
Old November 7th, 2005, 09:47 PM

Post lots of signs

Hi there,
I recently lost an indoor orange persian cat (you may have seen my post) for 4 heartwrenching weeks! I know cats are a little more resourceful then dogs, but we did find him thanks to the many signs we had posted. Many signs would be torn off the next day (which was very maddening), but we would repost again. We had several colour posters up and finally almost 4 weeks later, they paid off. I know the heartache you are going through. Our cat is 9yrs old and we love him dearly (he was actually a wedding gift of ours as my cousin used to be a breeder of Persians and it was our best gift). I know it is very hard and discouraging not knowing what happened to your pet, but don't give up. Good luck. If you ever find your dog, be sure to post it.
Old November 8th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Hi Sheltielover:
I am trying the newspaper again with a reward offered this time. We should try all suggestions even if we have to modify them a bit to suit our errant babes. We have to keep looking!
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Any sightings or news yet?
Old November 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi ElaineG,
I was just looking throught the petfinders lost and found section under Ontario and saw that someone found a sheltie. I don't know any thing about the area where your Sheltie was lost, or if the Sheltie that was found was even close to where your baby was lost, but you never know. Please take a look. The posting is towards the end of the page. It's a long shot, but,I hope for the best.
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Hi, I have checked that one out already, but thanks for looking. I check that site daily hoping to find her. Many other sites too. Its been 1 mth tomorrow, my poor baby,I still am trying to hold a little hope for her, but its hard. Apparently about 3 days ago a lady swore she saw her, so the lead has been followed up on and we moved the trap to the area,but nothing so far.
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Would the area where she was spotted; would it have a local newspaper where you can post her disappearance? I really hope you get a good solid lead.
Old November 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

When I lost my cat (somewhere in Ontario during our travels) I went into the
http://www.adoptananimal.ca/ site, inserted the postal code of where we thought she got out and got a list of all the local shelters within a 100 mile radius and faxed, emailed and phoned each one with the info...you can try it...and I also looked up all the vets in those areas and emailed them too. As a matter of fact I am still emailing them posters every 4 months.
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Where about's was she noticed? I live in Trenton so I can watch out for her.
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
owned by Tucker

This dog was lost over a year ago, but I guess it never hurts to keep an eye out maybe someone picked her up and kept her.
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:30 PM

oops i thought it was more recent sorry
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Hey

I hope you guys find all of your missing dogs I feel so sorry for you guys never lose hope.