Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM

Unhappy Dog adopted with rotten teeth (not disclosed)

Hi,

We've had recently adopted a 5 yr old jack russell x from a rescue out west. When we met the dog we didn't notice anything wrong with her and the rescue/foster said she was in good health. We take her home after a long drive and on the second day, we noticed most of her rear teeth were rotten and her gums are showing signs of gum disease.

We contacted the rescue and asked why this was never mentioned as this easily should have been picked up by the vet or anyone at the rescue. The rescue said they don't screen and do dental work for dogs they take in, and they claim didn't know about it and now it's not their problem anymore. They also will not take the dog back at all. The estimate for the dental work is over $2k since she will need all of her rear teeth removed. We are more than willing to pay for the operation even though we do not have the money but we feel like the rescue completely cheated us on the poor pooch. This isn't something that's hidden, it's visible and their vet should have noticed it since they need to check the teeth to estimate their age.

I know dental work is very expensive, and for a rescue to do dental work can be challenging sometimes. However, if they had at least mentioned it in the online profile, maybe we would have reconsidered (or not; we are thinking of keeping her). The whole "we never knew/no one told us" is really disheartening.

I'm looking for some feedback from folks on what they think of this situation. I'm feeling sick to my stomach just thinking about it.

Tags
dental care, dogs adoption, rescue, rescue dog