Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 30th, 2016, 08:31 AM

Lightbulb My cat is on my last nerves

Have a large tuxedo cat, and despite having 2 entirely different scratching posts, he will scratch literally everything. My furniture, carpet, shoes, linoleum floor in the kitchen, the wall)(yes the corners And just the wall), doors, etc. I've tried squirt guns, chasing and yelling, throwing stuff, etc.
Declawing him is a last resort that's coming up quickly, and I don't want to cover my entire place in double sided tape. Can I get and use a training shock collar for those tiny annoying little dogs?
Old January 30th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe his claws are too long , do you get them trims ? He could be bored too, does he have any toys to play with . Or train your cat to do this ! LOL!

Old January 30th, 2016, 02:53 PM

Barkingdog, good picture, if only they would.
A_Nanny_Moose, I have six cats, some of them are angels and only scratch the cat posts put out for them, but two of them also drive me nuts, they will lean over the cat scratch post so they can reach the chair or table behind it and shred it
I have two sided tape on the wooden legs of furniture, and on the upholstered furniture I have clear plastic carpet runner (with the spiked side on the outside) attached to the backs of the chairs and couch. Also, if I can catch them doing it I use a squirt bottle. Good Luck
Old January 30th, 2016, 10:17 PM

Seems like chasing, yelling and throwing stuff will cause your kitty to fear you.

Is he scratching in front of you or only when you are out of sight?

Perhaps you could play with your kitty while he's on the scratch post to tire him out. Use a toy on a stick or flashlight to encourage him to run up and down his scratching post.

Maybe confine kitty to one or two rooms when you're not able to monitor him. You will then eliminate the destruction of your belongings and be less stressed. When you're able to watch him then let him have the run of the house and of course correct any inappropriate scratching. Try to startle him with a loud clap or "hey" which should make him stop.

Please don't consider declawing your kitty. There are so many reasons not to including the fact that it is inhumane IMO. Some kitties are so traumatized after this type of surgery that they refuse to use their litter box. They're meant to climb and scratch which is why they have those claws not to mention its their only defence should they need to protect themselves.
Old January 30th, 2016, 11:00 PM

Have a look into Soft Paws http://www.softpaws.com/

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 30th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.treehouseanimals.org/site...ats_need_claws
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:33 PM
Willing cat servant

Have you tried trimming his nails?
It's simple Just make sure to check online where to cut. It's right where the curve starts so you don't Hurt the nerves and blood vessels.
Sound scary heh but it's quite simple. Just look for a diagram or a video and it'll be clear.
I understand your frustration but trust me yelling at him Just doesn't work at all.
Old February 6th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

You can buy pet nail grinders to trim your pet nails but I would have someone helping you out by holding kitty still. Good luck !

Tags
cat, training