Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:50 PM

How to find out and shut down a puppie broker

Hello everyone.
I posted in another thread about my sisters' puppies who were bought from a "rescue organization" and five days later contracted Parvo. They almost died and were in ICU for 3 nights, one needing a blood transfusion.
We have since found out that lady who runs this "rescue" place is very shady.
She now says that she never said she ever took them to the vet (yet she gave us her vets' card), she never said she had them dewormed (yet she told us this and it was in the ad online), she lied about the puppies age, her story where they came from has changed, she told us she breeds her boxer and now claims she didnt say that.... I want to know what is the best way to find out for sure that what this lady is doing is not only "resucuing". I have recieved emails from various people about problems they had with this lady. Apparently she has a bad rep. But why has she been not been closed down?
Also, does anyone know the laws here in Ontario? Can she sell a puppy at 6 weeks old? Do they have to be dewormed? She gave a shot in front of us, is that legal? And does anyone have any ideas of why she would be driving to the US to get dogs?
Any help, tips, suggestions would be great.
We are just hoping that the other puppies are actually ok.

thanks again, I love this site.

Last edited by Molson; January 14th, 2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Live well, laugh often

I think your first plan of attack should be to document all your evidence and submit it to your local SPCA.

Goodluck .
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Doggie Wench

The local Humane Society in your area will not investigate ?

I think the first place I'd start is with the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) to find out if she's a registered non-profit organization (seeing she claims she's a rescue). If not, then I'd check next to see if she's a registered business. If not, then the municipality to see what the by-laws are concerning dog limits and to see if they've received complaints about this person as well.

If she's not registered as either a Rescue or a business, and she's accepting $$ for dogs (extremely ill ones at that without getting them vet care), I would report her to the CRA and city immediately and ask them to contact you with a follow-up.
Old January 10th, 2009, 12:00 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson View Post
d
Also, does anyone know the laws here in Ontario? Can she sell a puppy at 6 weeks old? Do they have to be dewormed?
I did read your other thread , I'm glad the pups are ok now !

I'm afraid there's not too many laws on your side other than her having too many pets in her house and maybe neglect , unsanitary conditions. But , complain , complain and keep complaining to the humane society in your area.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Thanks a lot!
We have contacted the SPCA- several times through e-mail and phone. I just think that they are so busy. Their Humane Society was just recently burnt down so that means they are even busier than usual. We have also contacted the Better Business Bureau and will contact Revenue Canada.
I am so disgusted that the laws in Canada are not better to protect these innocent animals who can't speak for themselves.

I am not going to put up the "organizations'" Info on here because I do not want this lady to see our plan of attack. I put up a VERY general post on Craigslist and I guess she realized it was about her and she assumed it was my sister and went balistic! Somone else wrote up a post about her on there then I tried to respond and the lady had it flagged and taken down.
She is also on facebook! Someone who bought a pet from her made the group..ugh it disgusts me.

Thanks again
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM

My post with the lady's contact info. has been taken down. If anyone is interested please let me know with a private message!
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:30 PM
-

I see you are logged on Molson, Marko removed your posts since posting the actual name of the "rescue" could amount to slander.

I am sure the spca did not ignore your calls, they do not return calls to people that call in with a concern unless the information given is not clear. I am pretty sure that the matter is being looked into.
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Molson - thank you for being pro-active in this case. Please check your PM.

Thank you
BenMax
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Hi Chris,
Thanks, Marko explained this to me! I didn't even realize this.
Shirley, I have sent you a PM.

Thanks to everyone. And please join our facebook group if you can. Since I can't write the name, just put in the seach bar "give dog" and click on groups and you should be able to figure out which one it is.
Things are starting to happen!

Last edited by Molson; January 14th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old January 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Maybe someone can answer this:
Does the add on the web is consider as proof,assuming that the phone # or the name of the person appears in the add. If so maybe we shouldn't make them disapear too fast...
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:59 AM

Please read the link

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/p...ue-t88488.html
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok I see now that I read.

So I checked it out. Turns out that it is someone that is trying to do the best she can with the little she has. Not different from some rescues or no kill shelters. Infact, other rescues are not damning her at all.

Many errors done by both parties. Always ask questions in regards to health. Find out if there is a health guarantee. Ensure to leave with all vet documentation.

Though I feel for you, I also do believe that more investigation where a dog is coming from should be thoroughly checked out. If the premises is not to your liking or your preliminary questions are not answered according to your specifications - just leave without the dog and find another organization that is not affraid to put it on paper - and live by it.

Granted - her manner is totally off.

Good for you for keeping the pup. I can tell you will be amazing parents.
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM

Thank you, but you are wrong.

We have uncovered some more information which is quite shocking and it involves the law.

In due time it will all come out!
I will keep you posted
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM

And please, before you claim that other rescues are not damning her at all, send me a private message and I would be happy to give you the names and contact numbers of at least five rescues who have "damned" her.

As far as a health guarantee goes, we were lied to and a vet's card was given to us. After the puppies illness we asked for their vet records and she claimed that she couldn't bring them in to the vet because her driver's arm was broken and she said that she never told us they were vet checked.
Assumptions can be dangerous.

Last edited by Molson; February 7th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM

This is not an isolated incident with this group or this woman. I won't go into detail here because it violates the forum rules, but for those of you who want to find it, the information is readily available. All it takes is an email or a phone call to this woman and a few carefully placed questions and it's easy to see who she truly is.

Lexus - Rottweiler/Cattle Dog - Raw fed, lover of all things humorous
Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Last but not least, the endless stream of incoming and outgoing rescue pups!
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM

I'm wondering if t's illigal that she gives shots to the dogs herself...If not someone is selling her the drug...
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

She sounds like a hoarder to me. Only not to the extreme. She wants to help animals, but she doesnt have the funds for proper vet care/whatever. Im sure we all know thjat most hoarders start off with good intentions, but the situation gets outta control..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CClover View Post
I'm wondering if t's illigal that she gives shots to the dogs herself...If not someone is selling her the drug...
It's perfectly legal. The only vaccine a layperson is not allowed to purchase/administer is the rabies vaccine. However, it is not generally recommended. Particularly in the case of puppies and senior dogs - vaccines should only be administered to those in full health, and without a veterinary checkup how can you possibly know if the dog is truly healthy?

In regards to the hoarding argument - I disagree. She is making LOTS of money from this endeavor. Lack of funds is not the issue here. These dogs are being sold for $100-500, and are either obtained free or pulled from pounds for fees up to $70 (the ones from the states come fully vetted!). Vaccines are about a dollar each when administered by herself, and one would assume given the history involved here that she is re-using needles (or at the very least failing to dispose of them properly... surely THAT is of some concern to public health?). When no vetting is done, dogs are obtained for nothing, and dogs are as numerous as they are (her turnover rate is astounding) you can easily look through a year of Petfinder and do the math. This is not a hoarder - this is a profiteer.

Her non-profit status has in fact been revoked (05/08) due to failure to file a return.
***EDIT - sorry, I've been unable to verify this information. Her non-profit (charitable) status WAS revoked 05/08) but I'm unable to ascertain why. I do know that she was "lending" her charitable number to another rescue to try to increase their donations (by providing tax receipts) which could explain it, but I also know that returns were behind - however, revenue canada is not exactly strict about charitable tax laws... ****

Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Last edited by babysweet; February 7th, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Thanks babysweet
Old February 8th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Thanks, it is nice to have another person back me up!

We found out that she is using someone else's charitable number but we also found out that it is NOT registered.

My sister's pups were given a shot by her, in her house. Again, she insinuated they were vet checked and she even gave a vet's card.
I would love to know if she has new puppies in the room where my sister's were. The SPCA went and checked her out twice but the room was empty and she claimed she was going to keep it that way for "6 months" to not spread Parvo (even though when my sister's pups were there there were cats roaming in and out of the room)
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM

The charitable number she is using was the one grandfathered to her. The name of the organization was never changed over in the CRA's records - as far as I could tell, NO official paperwork was ever filed. This could be the reason for the termination. I would suggest filing a freedom of information request with the CRA (PM me if you want the details/instructions) it only costs $5 and you will get every past return, every notification the CRA sent to the rescue and all correspondance, etc. All public record (which is pretty much the entire record, in the case of a charity) will be yours for the perusing.

Old February 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I am all to aware of the so called "rescue" in question, and have heard nothing but bad things. I even contacted her and asked questions, and found she was charging $300.00 per dog, but didn't even require that they be fixed, which was a big red flag for me.

She was also in our local paper, seems the house she used for the dog " rescue" was a rental, and the landlord had no idea she was running a "rescue" she left in the middle of the night, and the house and yard were destroyed by the many dogs she had there.

Here is proof for the doubters.

http://www.oshawa.ca/agendas/Audit_B...y_Sullivan.pdf

http://www.oshawa.ca/agendas/City_Co...%20MINUTES.pdf

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Some rescues are more reputable than others. Every rescue runs differently.

Sorry Molson - I am the type of person that will have to know personally whether or not this is reputable. I can only go by what others say. I put much more in what rescues tell me other than what people will say - as no one is satisfied one way or another.

I truly believe you had a bad experience or else you would not be going through such lengths.

I've been wrong before and it can be one of those times. This is a very dangerous thread if you are not right.
Old February 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I'm sorry but people who don't pay rent, lie about running a rescue in the rental property , give the landlord the run around for over a year, and destroy property, does not sound like an "upstanding person" to me! Especially since this isn't the first time!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 9th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
I'm sorry but people who don't pay rent, lie about running a rescue in the rental property , give the landlord the run around for over a year, and destroy property, does not sound like an "upstanding person" to me! Especially since this isn't the first time!
Good thing you have all your facts Happycats. I am not disagreeing but I for one will not cast judgement unless I know for sure - and I don't know for sure. So you personally have had experience as well? Do tell.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I volunteer at Stark County Dog Pound, a kill shelter in Canton, OH. I'm always networking and trying to find homes or rescues to take dogs so when M---- contacted me, at first I was thrilled. She had taken dogs from Columbiana County, the one next to ours, and they at first recommended her.

We were taking her maybe one or two a week. We did the 5 way, bordetella, rabies and health certificates (she reimbursed me, at first). Then she started looking at the website, asking for easily adoptable dogs (Pomeranians, little lap dogs, puppies) that we can adopt locally and she would get angry if the dog was already spoken for. After a few weeks, she started contacting me with long lists of dogs she could take. Something told me it was "fishy" but looking at the dogs in the cages that could have a chance at life was too tempting. We would meet her in the Buffalo area. After a few weeks of this, I told her I would drive all the way to her place (I wanted to see it) but she balked. The last transport we did with her was in August of 2007; I took her 15 dogs. We met in the Walmart parking lot; it was over 80 degrees. We helped her load her van. About an hour later I got a call from her while driving home. She and P------ had driven to the front of the Walmart, parked the car and went shopping...leaving all those dogs in that hot car. Someone called the Humane Society. They seized all the dogs (thankfully, they were all rehomed by the HS) and charged M----- with Animal Cruelty. She called me because she wanted me to drive to the Humane Society and bring her the dogs. I told her what I thought of her leaving the dogs in her car and that we were done with her. After several nasty emails, I haven't heard from her.
She owes me over 1000.00 from writing bad checks. She owes the two other counties money as well. She was getting fully vetted (fixed as well) dogs for 70.00 and charging 250.00. I'm not saying a rescue shouldn't charge enough to cover expenses, but she was really raking it in. Then I found out after some research, that she has been evicted numerous times; she has been investigated by the HS but keeps moving. She used to show her animals at the Petsmart in Nashua (?) but I see on her site she no longer does that. She sells sick dogs, withholds vet care, lies about the dog's temperaments. The last time I saw her she had a huge dog bite on her leg from one of her "fosters."
Sometimes people in dog rescue get in over their head and get too many animals; they mean well but become overwhelmed. This was not her case. She is doing this purely for the money, with no good intentions.

I hope she can be stopped. If she's got Parvo in her house, she shouldn't bring in any more puppies.

Margie Serri,
Friends of Stark Pound

Feel free to share this information. She was charged in Chautauqua County, NY for animal cruelty. It was the Chautauqua County Humane Society that confiscated the dogs. It was August of 2007.

M----- tried to blame me for the dogs being seized...when I got their rabies shots, the vet forgot to sign the certificates and I forgot to check if they were signed. A call to the vet by the authorities quickly cleared this up but she kept harping that it was my fault.
Old February 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Good thing you have all your facts Happycats. I am not disagreeing but I for one will not cast judgement unless I know for sure - and I don't know for sure. So you personally have had experience as well? Do tell.
BenMax - call her yourself - believe me, it won't take you long, and it won't take more than a few carefully considered questions to realize that this person is the furthest thing from a rescue one can be.

I CAN personally attest to the fact that this woman is seriously unstable and should not be allowed to own pets at all. Several dogs that I know of have died horrible deaths in her care - ripped apart by other dogs due to the lack of temperament testing and severe overcrowding. One was her own dog!

The charges in NY state exist - you're welcome to check them out yourself. Anyone who would leave over a dozen dogs in the cap of a pickup on a hot summer day in a parking lot for well over an hour and then DEFEND her actions is obviously not someone you want to be coming to the defense of.

I realize that you're just trying to insist on "innocent until proven guilty" BenMax, and normally I would be right behind you, agreeing with you 150% - but in this particular case, this woman has been proven guilty dozens of times and the frustration you are hearing is due to the fact that NOTHING has been done to stop her.

Please, everyone with access to a pen or an email account - email the Oshawa SPCA and DEMAND that this woman be dealt with. This neglect has gone on long enough...

Old February 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM

I would also encourage you to please write to petfinder (where she adopts many of her animals out from):

1. lynn@petfinder.com
2. pets@petfinder.com

Also, Kijiji.

And Oshawa Animal Control.

Last edited by Molson; February 9th, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Sorry, Molson - but writing Petfinder will get you nowhere. We've been trying to get groups FAR worse than this one banned from Petfinder for YEARS with NATIONAL campaigns and nothing has happened. One is here: http://gracieland.org/RW/rwnews2.html

Keep googling about the situation, it gets creepier and creepier - this organization claims to have "droolless" dogs. Honestly! They are total wing nuts, and it's pretty apparent to anyone from the outside that they have been breeding puppies, not rescuing. And yet, the continue to operate, they continue to have a hundred dogs or so, and they continue to be listed on Petfinder despite the suits against him and the fact that his local humane society has refused to deal with him on the basis that his organization is "unfit."

Petfinder is not there to police their pages. Even those who have actually been committed of crimes maintain their webpages. I can personally tell you it takes very little to get a petfinder site, and maintaining it requires nothing more than logging in every 30 days. It's scary - but it's true... caveat emptor

Closed Thread