Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 17th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Pets and Food

Strangely, my Siamese ,YY has never been one to demand food - except when it is morning and we are in the kitchen and she has not been fed yet. My vet says it is probably because she has never been hungry - I have dry food out all the time but that is her "junk" food. She eats Wellness Super5 Kitten formula but really loves the Wellness canned Chicken and lobster and Salmon and Trout. I also feed her real chicken and occasionally raw chicken hearts.

But I wonder if it is unusual for cats who are pretty secure in their food source to rarely demand it?
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:30 AM
banned user

my cats never demanded food when they were free fed.
due to thier weight, we have stopped having food available to them all the time, and feed them when we feed the dog (helps to stop my dog eating the cat food, shes allergic to it) and they complain ALL the time. you walk into the kitchen, they are there with you.
My cat Haylee, will ask ANYONE for food... even rubbing against the dog .. who she normally stays away from
lol
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:55 AM

My cat gets very vocal about getting her food in the morning. She also has dry food out for free feed (chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, only stuff she will touch) but only the recommended amount on the bag. Then she gets canned wellness in the morning, too, she also is a big fan of the lobster. If i am not out of bed in time for her I certainly hear about it. She is up on my face meowing and head butting me. Your vet is probably right, as my vet told me that because she was a stray for the first sixth months of her life (she's just about a year now), she probably has some security issues with her food that she's not over yet.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Kitty Consort

My cats are free -fed the dry food - Go Natural Chicken and Rice.
They will sometimes meow with anticipation when I am opening the tinned, but dont really demand food in the way some cats do
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That is the only time YY will meow for food too - when she sees the tins. She knows it is coming so I assume the Meow is Siamese for "hurry up already",
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard a peep from Casper or Winnie when I get ready to feed them their canned food.Winnie just sits there and watches while Casper tries to climb up my leg.I guess he thinks he will get it faster that way....

They are also free fed their dry.They just snack on it.But unfortunately Casper has now decided to use his paw to dig out the dry so it lands on the floor and then eats it....I think he's loosing it.....LOL