Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM

"Drop It" and other commands

Hi, our labrador puppy is 3 months old and he will 'sit' 'shake a paw' 'stay' and 'come'. I CAN'T get him to 'drop it'. For example when playing fetch he comes back with the item everytime and wants to play but won't drop it he wants to tug of war everytime and I refuse to play that game. It is most important for him to learn as my husband gets so mad when he takes the babies toys. He needs to understand 'drop it' but I don't know how to teach that one.
Thanks,
Stacey
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It is most important for him to learn as my husband gets so mad when he takes the babies toys.
What does your husband do when he "gets so mad" at a 12 week puppy taking toys? Does he expect a puppy to know what are the baby's toys and which are his? Does he get this mad at your human babies when they do wrong?

To teach the puppy to "drop it", get something even better than he has in his mouth, hold it up to him and say Drop it. He will probably release what he has to take what is being offered. Then you praise him. Keep practicing this.

You must never be harsh with a little puppy or you could ruin his temperament. Any training at this age must be very positive, and since you got a Lab, you must know that he be quite mouthy and chew things, as this is what Labs do for a long time.

Your husband is expecting way too much from this little baby.
Old February 11th, 2006, 07:37 PM

I totally agree about my husband expecting too much. Regarding the toys he worries about germs when the dog/babies share toys. He's never had a dog and expects he already knows everything, but he's learning to understand about dogs. The puppy is so smart though and mostly does know which toys are his or not. I'm very impressed with how smart he is at his age. Yes, he does love to chew. But, I have been strict with him from the beginning about mouthing hands and clothes.
I do want him to learn the 'drop it' command as it's difficult even to play with him. He learns SO fast, but I just didn't know how to teach that one. The other one I have to work on is jumping up too (which is getting a bit better). He loves jumping up on people mostly when they first come in the house. I never taught him not too as it is so cute, but he's getting big and I know I have to start teaching him not too. Plus, his nails are so sharp and scratch us by accident.
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebury29
Regarding the toys he worries about germs when the dog/babies share toys.
I can guarantee that they'll be putting way worse things in their mouths than what the dog can dish out. Actually, on an episode of Myth Busters, one of the hosts compared the germs in his mouth to those in a dog's, and the dog's mouth was actually cleaner.
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Teaching 'drop it' and 'take it' is one of the very first things we teach. It is a matter of respect when it comes to dropping things to you on command. He needs to learn that all things belong to you - even if he found them first.
First, put your dog on the leash (for control) then get a stick or stiff toy at least 6 inches long - not a soft toy he can get a grip on or food he can break off and swallow. Start with an object that doesn't have high value to him and work towards an object that does have high value. Food will probably be the toughest challenge as it is easy for him to just swallow it and win.
Offer it to your dog and say 'take it' in a happy tone. let him chew on it for 15 seconds - do not let go of the item. Say 'drop it' short, sharp and firm in tone. Almost startle him with the command as you point quickly at the item and his nose. The startle alone should impress him. If he lets go then praise him and gently stroke his face and head. If he does not let go - ask again and vibrate the item in his mouth moving towards the back of his mouth. This should be strong enough to make him want to let go, but not so strong to hurt him. When he releases be very pleased and praise & pet.
Repeat this - holding the item and sharing it with your dog for longer times each round. As he gives willingly then allow the item to be his for just a few seconds, keeping your hand close by and then move your hand in and ask him to 'drop it'. Again increasing times until it can be his for five minutes and he still drops it nicely to you. Working him in his normal obedience commands just before you do this can help. It places him a submissive role and makes him more agreeable over all and ready to be more cooperative.
Practice a lot when you are just hanging around the house - get him to drop dozens of things throughout the day, don't wait to teach it when you need it.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:59 PM
-

I would suggest getting the family enrolled into a group puppy class so that everyone in the family can learn.
Old February 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
I can guarantee that they'll be putting way worse things in their mouths than what the dog can dish out. Actually, on an episode of Myth Busters, one of the hosts compared the germs in his mouth to those in a dog's, and the dog's mouth was actually cleaner.

OMG..I just saw that one today..lol.
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:33 AM

6 Month Dane/Lab

I've had Leyna for 3 months now and she's 6 months weighing 73.7 lbs and is 27" . We found her one night during a snow storm in front of my house of the road. She was hungry, cold and very very timmed. We brought her in fed her a little cat food because that's all we had, a little water because she looked starved and gave her a warm place to sleep. The next day I went out bought her some food and left a note with the owner about a lost dog. I gave myself 2 weeks to find the owners and not become attatched.
After a week of having her I found the ad in the newspaper for her owners. I called them right away. It wasn't even the owners house, but infact their parents house, whom didn't want me talking to the owners..His son..Who didn't even live with him. They supposedly only had her and her brother for 3 days. When the man finally called me back 20 mins later he was very rude, ignorant and very ungreatful for what I had done for him. I explained to him that he had a Dane/Lab pup and that they were not supposed to be out for long periods of time in the cold. We exchanged a few words and his wife took over from there on.
They came and picked up Leyna. We asked for the money we had spent dog food and the vet bill ( I have a 2 yr old son and two cats, could take the chance if she had anything serious.) We also offered them 300$ for her. They refused, told us they had paid 700$ for her and her brother. Within an hour and a half of her being gone, we hear a at the door and there was Leyna...We were overwhelmed, didn't know what to do..Do we keep her? What are they doing to her? Uncertain, we called the SPCA. The woman told us, if they didn't call looking for her a second time, she's yours. After a half hour of her being at our house, already playing with Aidan on the floor..They call..I asked them how they could possibly loose her a 2nd time..How irresponsible can you be? Full grown adults I'm talking about here...It's not like the puppy could of possibly jumped over a fence. She could barely get up off the ground when she sat down. (Vet claimed it was probably due to mal-nutrition) They go on about how they aren't able to have a dog that is running away and if we wanted her we could have her. Oh ya, they had the balls to ask for the 300$ we offered them after they refused us. We returned the money they had given us and she was ours to keep.
To this day she runs around my back yard, relatives back yards and friends without a leash. With or without my supervison. She's amazing with our son, No growls, bites, looks etc...She's barked three times in the period I've owned her. She's very cautious tho and is coming a long well with her timidness. She does not enjoy the company of men with facial beards. and has a small case of seperation anxiety. (Chew Chew the carpets ) Loves to chase my two cats. She also plays fetch, gives/drops the ball, sits, lays down, stays, gives her two paws, and rolls over on command. Obviously she's a little stubborn at times, but she's entitled her own days :queen: She's our Gentle Giant. If only my son could listen as well as she and my two cats do.
Attached Images