Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old December 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Summer is gladioli time, and something to look forward to for me because I don't know what colours I'll be seeing. I really like this first one.
Attached Images

Old December 26th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

While Xmas day was all sunshine, and Fairy Grass blown in, in my garden, our capital city in this State had dreadful storms, see the damage here. Reader's sent these photo's in. You never know, we might end up with our own Tornado alley. They are becoming more common, though not as devastating as the tornadoes in the States.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pho...231439?page=13
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Rose named St Patrick. This usually starts off as a limey green bud before going yellow but the weather must be effecting it.
I know, I have a spider phobia. This little white spider on the new Buddleja freaks me out.
Coneflower.
Attached Images

Old December 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

A green Zinnia.
Pretty in pink.
And even more pink, the Dwarf Lavatera again.
Attached Images

Old December 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Winchester Cathedral.
A very pale blue Salvia.
And of course, Xmas Lilies. I am so glad I could show you photo's like this, rather than photo's like this link ... so many people's Xmases ruined down in the City.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/pho...231439?page=31
Attached Images

Old December 27th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Mickey, my angel

Great pics, Goldfields. So nice to see all the beautiful flowers on a cold dreary winter day in Canada. Makes me long for spring.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

mikischo, I'd actually love to see some snow photo's. It's so hot here in Summer and it looks so cool.

My delphiniums are going to flower a second time, but maybe not all of them.
Pansies are still doing their thing.
The rose is Pascali, made more beautiful by the raindrops.
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Penstemon.
A rose named Mme Louis Laperriere.
Pelargonium.
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Different white rose, Pope John Paul 11. It has a beautiful fragrance for a white rose.
Oriental Lily.
Gladioli.
Attached Images

Old January 8th, 2012, 08:52 PM

I love the green Zinnias, thats a flower I've always wanted to try, but never have. Its 48 degrees in January here, and no snow, so maybe flowers won't be too far off? Last year this time my husband had put in 54 hours of snowblowing our driveway, so he went out and bought a tractor. It hasn't come out of the shed yet, and I hope it never does.
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That Pelargonium is pretty, too!

We haven't had any snow to speak of, either, lindapalm...I've barely lifted a shovel except to clean slush off the deck and the tractor is getting no exercise at all!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM
You can call me DOG!

Pascali and Pope John Paul 11 are beautiful GF. Your St Patrick is stunning as well. I planted one of them a few years back here and it never took.

I miss summer.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you'll find Zinnias very rewarding, lindapalm. The green one came in a packet of green and white Zinnias from Diggers, here in Oz. Diggers have a lot of unusual plants. I don't mind any of the colours, the form of the flower is just so unreal, the colours so vibrant that I smile whenever I look at them. The Pelargonium cutting was a gift from the kind lady I bought some irises off.

So,a question for both of you, is the lack of snow unusual and a potential problem, as in lack of water later?
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Buddleja davidii Pink.
Oriental Lilies again.
Finally, a lovely sunshiney yellow Gladioli.
Attached Images

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-O-Gee View Post
Pascali and Pope John Paul 11 are beautiful GF. Your St Patrick is stunning as well. I planted one of them a few years back here and it never took.

I miss summer.
I'll never forget the first time I saw St Patrick, DOG. I looked accross rows of potted roses at a Nursery and spotted this lovely green rose, or rather a green rosebud. Just beautiful! Mine is not thriving though either, if I lost it I wouldn't be surprised. Pascali, well, I have two. I think it's a rose that needs just the right amount of shelter/shade and the right weather conditions, I only have my best flower now. I am not disappointed with Pope John Paul 11. White roses have their own set of problems here I think, attracting certain insects more than other coloured roses do for instance too.
You would NOT miss Summer if you lived here. I feel like celebrating the first day of Autumn(Fall) because then it's a whole 9 months till the next Summer. Yay!!
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I know where your snow has gone, lindapalm and Hazel. It's down here. Just read this when I visited Weatherzone.

Snow possible on Victorian alpine peaks
Monday January 9, 2012 - 11:40 EDT

The weather bureau is forecasting possible snow in the Victorian alps.

Temperatures reached the mid-40s in northern parts of the state during last week's heatwave, as fire authorities responded to hundreds of bushfires.

But it has cooled significantly since then, reaching just 3.4C at Mount Hotham today.

The bureau's senior forecaster, Richard Carlyon, says it is expected to get colder by Wednesday.

"Quite a cool blast for summer, it might only be an 18 degree day [in Melbourne]," he said.

"We're forecasting some snow over the Alpine peaks. Quite a cool blast there.

"That really puts a hold on the warm weather, so it will take quite some time to recover from that."

He says the weather should start to warm up in about a week or so with temperatures creeping up to the 30 degree mark.

- ABC

That's all good IMO.
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Well, there ya go! I want that snow back, GF!!

As for the water table, lack of snow won't impact ours much. We're sitting on an aquifer that won't react unless there is a very prolonged drought. The water table was actually down a couple feet from a longer drought we had last decade but the wells were still good. The past few summers and winters since then have gone a long way to recharge the aquifer. The biggest problem is with fire danger if we get into a droughty spell. We're in the middle of a forest.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM

Goldfields, I'm more than happy to see where our snow went to, hopefully it stays THERE. We had a green Christmas, which I didn't think I would like, but it made it so much easier for traveling. I like the change of the seasons, but last year was a horrible year for snow, I'm at the age I think a couple of inches of snow is pretty, four feet or more is pretty crappy. We get plenty of rain here, so we don't have to worry about water levels, the lakes are really high.
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL@you, Hazel. I am loving this cool spell, though it makes my arthritis worse. Your forest consists of what type of trees? Can't evenbegin to guess. Ours just gets so tinder dry and you know, I lived here 35 years before someone told me a couple of local guys always drive around the State Forest opposite us after a thunder storm, even at night, to check that no lightning strikes started anything. Wish they'd told me, I'd have slept a lot better. LOL.

Gee, can't imagine 4 feet of snow , Lindapalm. I'd hate that!
Old January 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Tigridia
Sunflower 'Italian White'
Rose named The Pilgrim.
Attached Images

Old January 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Is that Tigridia a type of lily, GF? Very exotic looking flower!

We have primarily oak and pine here, with maples mixed in and a smattering of birch and aspen.

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Tigridias are part of the Iridaceae or the Iris family, Hazel. There are some unusual ones at this site ...

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pb...x.php/Tigridia

I've only had 3 colours flower so far, I may have showed the red one.
The pine in your forest would be the most inflammable tree surely? I saw the aftermath of the massive Ash Wednesday fires here where it ripped through the pine plantations down at Tarpeena - unbelievable! Only trunks left and all were just bowed and black as far as the eye could see.
Attached Images

Old January 10th, 2012, 10:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Those are just gorgeous, GF. I can't decide if I like the red one or the yellow one best! Cool that it's in the iris family--I would never have pictured that shade of red as possible in the iris family!

Yes, the pines can get quite tindery if it gets droughty. So can oaks, for that matter, but the pines are particularly flammable. We're in a bad spot, too--only 4 roads out of town. 2 run perpendicular to the prevailing winds, so any fire starting to the west would sweep over those routes, and a third runs back through the forest and would be cut off if there was a fire... The DNR parks it's fire-fighting equipment in the township if it gets dry so as to be closer to trouble if it starts.

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Senior Contributor

The third Tigridia was less eye catching, a bit pale, as you can see. There are some very spectacular ones though. I suppose the form of these flowers is a bit iris-like(think other irises, not Bearded Iris) even if the colour isn't.

Is there any safe place in town if there are fires? It's terrible living in fear of fires all Summer, and you certainly do here too. I think we'd try to do a dash next door because there is a big open gravelled area in front of our neighbor's big oat shed where one might be safe. Let's hope you and I never have to evacuate though.
Attached Images

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

oh my god, they are all just gorgeous!!! I love the different sunflower, but...I have to admit, that white spider facinated me *L* I detest spiders and they are the only creature Im afraid of, but white? are they common??
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Last Summer, because we were getting the tail end of tropical cyclones, we had a lot of big Golden Orb Weaver spiders, and walking into their strong webs accidentally terrified me! I've seen the occassional little itsy bitsy white spider this Summer and it just doesn't matter if they are tiny, huge, or disgusting, like the Wolf spider that carries a million tiny babies with it(well, perhaps I exaggerate ) or our big hairy Huntsman, I just hate them! It's why I'll probably never be a good gardener, Melinda, too freaked out by spiders and certain other insects. I'd rather be kicked or bitten by a horse, even bitten by a dog, than have a spider run up my arm. By the way, Usually that white spider seems to appear just as I'm about to sniff the rose it is hiding in.
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Lovely flower sets GF.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:08 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Is there any safe place in town if there are fires? It's terrible living in fear of fires all Summer, and you certainly do here too.
Not really, unless they jumped in the lake. But it's shallow and likely not much protection. The only time fire is a danger though, is in drought. The past two years we've had so much rain that a fire wouldn't have a chance of getting started--way too much green.

I like those little white spiders, too--they like to sit in the white peonies and you don't see them till your nose is right on them. But I still like them. I think they're really pretty....for spiders, anyway....

We get those big yellow and black spiders in the garden, though. I don't mind them if I know where they are, but if I hit a web accidentally is sorta creeps me out.

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Marko, glad you enjoy seeing them.

Hazel, have you any photo's of those black and yellow spiders, or any way of ID-ing them? I don't know how anyone could like spiders.
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

As a matter of fact, yes I do. I'm really a camera addict. I have pics of lots of weird stuff...

Anyway, here's the black and yellow argiope spider we get frequently in our gardens:

Name:  Yellow garden spider 9-27-10 C.JPG
Views: 3849
Size:  190.0 KB

Doesn't it look like a picture of an extraterrestrial on its back? lol