Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM

Help - Lining of Dog's Heart Fills Up with Fluid (Pericardial Effusion)

My 9 year-old Wheaten Terrier, Ginger, has had four instances of her heart lining filling with fluid. The first three cases were six months apart, and each time we got her "tapped" to remove the fluid from the heart, as well as the fluid that had begun accumulating in the chest and abdomen. There has only been two weeks now between the thrid and the fourth episode, and I am trying to get advice from others who have gone through this.

A cardiologist looked at her heart this time and found no mass, but there is a possibility that the heart lining could have a type of cancer that can only be detected by doing a biopsy. Another possibility is that it can be happening for no reason (this is callled idiopathic pericardial effusion, and it's amazing but it does happen in dogs and they have no reason as to why). The vet indicated I could have a procedure done whereby a "window" is cut in the lining of the heart to relieve the buildup the next time this happens, and perhaps this could be an answer for Ginger, assuming that it is not cancer.

Since I don't know what's wrong exactly, either cancer or just un-explained episdoes, I am looking to try to manage it for now, since the procedure is invasive and expensive. If it is something that is happening for no reason, I'd like to see if I can make a change in her life to prevent it from happening again, or at least slow down the next episode when she needs to be tapped again.

Has anyone come across this, and do you have any advice? It's so strange that in some cases it can't be linked to anything. I can't help but wonder if I can control it a little through lifestyle. Like, taking the exercise level down a bit, trying different diets, etc. I just want my baby to be happy, and not have to suffer through this.

For your reference, here are some of the things I notice when an episode is coming on. Loss of appetite, shortness of breath, drinks a ton of water, and sometimes vomits.

Also, does anyone have any linkage between pericardial effusion and Cushing's disease? Ginger went through a previous medical issue whereby the doctors think she could have some Cushing's symptoms.

Thank you for reading this, any help you can give me!!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM

I am sorry I have no experience in this, but if you think it may even remotely linked to Cushings, this is a great site to get info. The administrator is Glynda, and very knowledgable. If anyone has answers to this link it should be worth a try.

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/

Many prayers for you, and hope you find some answers. I imagine you have lookied into using diuretics?

Hugs Joan
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM

Thank you so much Joan! I just posted to this forum so we'll see if anyone has any suggestions. I really appreciate your prayers, it means so much. About the diuretics, I actually haven't broached that topic with the vet, so I will have to look into that.

Thanks again,
Becca
Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I thank you for that link too, Joan. Seeing Sugar had Cushings I want to find out a lot more about it.
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM

I've joined the group after reading this post. My 10 year old Lab/Rottie mix has also had episodes of the bleeding. The 1st was late July. After an ultrasound I was told she had a mass and would only survive 2 months at the most. She was tapped and sprang back to normal in 24 hours. An internist did another ultrasound and could not see any mass. I've had regular ultrasounds done and still no mass is seen. A week ago she developed the same symptoms in a very short time. Again she was tapped and then had to be tapped again a few hours later. After a short recovery, she is just fine and acting like a puppy. I've been told to put her down as this will happen again. Of course I do not want her to suffer but how can I even think about doing that when she is active and happy? I've asked the internist about taking her to a cardiologist and he said it would cost me a lot of money only to hear the same diagnosis and then any additional treatment would be removing the periodardial sac or chemotherapy. He doesn't think any measure will prolong her life.
I'm watching over her like a hawk and I don't know what to do next.
Any further advice?