Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM

*Update* Cat vaccine reaction

*phew*!!! I took my girl back to the vet today because I thought there were more lumps forming. He felt her really well, and determined that she's ok!! He felt the already-present lumps and they're still feel good. The ones I thought I might be feeling today he thinks are fatty deposits or something along those lines, and doesn't believe them to be the same thing. THANK GOD!! I asked him if he thought she'd be ok and he said yes, he thinks she'll be fine.

He believe that she is rejecting an additive in the vaccines. She got another antibiotic injection under the first lump and we are to follow up in two weeks. Knowing me, I'll probably take her in next week just to be checked. But I am just so relieved! I will still be concerned until those darn things disappear all the way, but it seems that we got good news!

I'm not sure how long it should take them to go down, but I'm hoping it's FAST!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Live well, laugh often

Glad you got some good news . Hope she is fully recovered soon .
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM

Oh, also wanted to thank you all who offered up advice and your own personal experiences! I found this site by using a search engine and I'm so glad I did. I think I'm definitely here to stay!!

We will be moving across country in three weeks, I hope they're gone by then so I can quit worrying!
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM
~Cat Servent~

So good to hear that she's ok. And welcome we hope you do stay, thats exactly the same way I found this place and I'm hooked! Good luck with your move, hope everything goes smoothly (well as smoothly as a move can be anyhow... )!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Well, it's been three days since her vet visit and the lumps have gone down considerably (been trying my hardest not to harass her by feeling them constantly!) So it looks as if all will be well! I will be keeping a close eye on her in the future b/c of that risk, albeit a remote risk, of Vaccine Associate Sarcoma.

As far as future vaccines, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about that. My better judgement says not to vaccinate anymore. I'm not sure what to do about the rabies, though, since it is required by US law. Our kitties are strictly indoor-only, so I may do the three-year vacc and leave it at that. I'm also going to make absolutely sure that they vaccinate her as far down her leg as humanly possible! Any thoughts on this?
Old May 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Good to hear the lumps are going down!

I asked my vet about sarcoma's. She said they use to be more common in cats but now they have removed the aluminum in the vaccines so it happens very rarely.

You could probably cut down or omit some if your cats are indoor only.

IMO, there's not much skin on the leg for administering vaccines - I think it would be probably be more painful.