Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old March 31st, 2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, not the best photo's because these are shy birds and I haven't a super zoom, but this is the New Holland Honeyeater. There is a honeyeater that is similar but that white eye makes this one easy to ID. They are small birds, able to hang onto the stalk of this red Nerine to feed without bending it.
Attached Images

Old March 31st, 2012, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Salvias are good value, both this beauty in the foreground, and that bright red one in the background seem to always have flowers.

Getting up close to a Just Joey bloom. This rose never has a poor bloom. A must have I think if you like roses.

This is the orange Agastache I bought, with the pink and salmon one behind it.

I was unable to make it to a local monthly market yesterday so phoned a friend at about the time I knew she'd be studying the roses for sale there. She got 3 for me , Admiral Rodney(exhibition form HT, light pink to darker mauve shadings, beautiful perfume, about 40 petals), Folklore( HT, vermillion salmon with a yellow reverse, very showy, fragrant), and Granada(HT, blend of pink, reds and yellow, good form and spicey fragrance).
Attached Images

Old March 31st, 2012, 09:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Beautiful plants and beautiful bird, GF!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Hazel. Beautiful dog too, but then I'm biased. LOL.
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

lol I totally missed Jarrah in that shot till you mentioned it! I was so busy looking at the flowers.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Hehehe! She wasn't hiding. I can't wait to get satellite, Hazel, I went to see your albums on Facebook today but it takes soooo long on slow dial up.
Here are some roses belonging to my friend, the first especially has been bumped to the top of my wish list. Superb fragrance, even nicer colouring than the photo shows.
Abraham Darby.
Admiral Rodney.
Jacaranda.

It's nice having a friend with plenty of room to grow roses, and with a passion for them, I can look at hers before I consider buying them(or not.)
Attached Images

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I can see why they're on your wish list!

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

These pics are lovely GF!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Marko. It's a quiet time of the year in the garden now, far too dry this Autumn too. Some roses are putting on quite a few buds though.
Old April 8th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I've had a busy afternoon in the garden. I weeded a lot of my pot plants. Potted some on, to bigger pots. Shifted some to different areas of the garden, and decided to take all pots away from the front of the grarden bed that faces my office, so I can begin planting things like Pansies, Violas, Primulas etc.. Had a snooze in the sun, watched the honeyeater on the Megan's Magic Salvia, then when it was away for a bit rushed for my camera. Here is the result. Oh, I shifted that Salvia, which in hindsight was stupid, now I have quite a walk to see what birds are on it.
Attached Images

Old April 8th, 2012, 09:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Very cool, GF!!! Beautiful shots!!!

Old April 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

It's getting used to me sitting and watching it. Haven't much to show today, just Cosmos Yellow Garden, one of the last Zinnias, and a Pascali rosebud. I must get outside and do some planting, weeding was done before breakfast.
Must say I love Zinnias, hope to plant heaps of them this year.
Attached Images

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I love zinnias, too...nice pop of color, easy to grown, and the hummingbirds like them! That cosmos is very pretty--how tall does it get? I love cosmos, but hubby hates the legginess of them, so I'm hunting for a shorter variety...or a hidden corner of the garden that he won't see readily!

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Senior Contributor

That particular Cosmos does not get that tall, Hazel. I love ALL Cosmos but know what you mean about their legginess. I have a dislike at the moment about the way Penstemons sprawl, yet they're lovely flowers.
Had to take something up to Di this morning so here are 3 more of her roses.
Perfume Perfection.
Pink Parfait.
Valencia.
Attached Images

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Probably my last pink Zinnia for the year.
Plectranthus Mona Lavender.
Carabella (rose).
Attached Images

Old April 10th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Wow beautiful flowers GD and that bird is so pretty.

I love roses but have not had good luck with them. But I keep trying.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I've got to say, Sylvie, that I don't have that much luck with roses either, but I keep on buying them. Hehehe! Some people drink, some smoke, some gamble , but my vice is roses.
Visited my friend with the young GSD today and gee, he was so pleased to see me. Disappointed no doubt that I didn't have time to throw things for him to retrieve, his body language was making it so clear that I was to follow him out to the paddock for a game. He got the zoomies in the house and floor rugs were sent flying, it's amazing how fast that breed is.
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Awe and you didn't take any pictures for me LOL

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, but the good news is I have to feed her animals next Sunday morning, then I can take photo's for you.
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll be waiting

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

Old April 11th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it Sunday yet? Hehehe!
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Didn't get much time for gardening today, had a couple of more important jobs to get out of the way. Anyway, just 3 roses.
Camp David .
Pascali.
And the third was given to me, I think, as Brilliant Pink Icerberg, but at the moment the flowers look like Blushing Pink Iceberg. Might just be because of the colder weather.
Attached Images

Old April 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, that pink one is stunning, regardless!!!!

Old April 15th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I'll be happy, whichever it is.
Old April 20th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Senior Contributor

First photo's today are for Hazel. A white plumed honeyeater, nicknamed a greenie. Our biggest honeyeater, the Noisy Miner. People often hate this poor bird because it chases off smaller honeyeaters, however I just give the littlies plenty of cover to hide in and manage to have all of them. Last is the Willie Wagtail. Cheerful little bird, but fierce in defending its nest. I've seen a photo of Willie Wagtails trying to chase off a big Wedge tailed Eagle that strayed into their territory.
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Something different now with a couple of chrysanthemums and a sweet little pelargonium.
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Granada.
Our Vanilla.
Skylark.
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Baronne Edmond de Rothschild is said to have a lovely frangrance, but I am not sampling it and finding a spider up my nose.

Kentucky Derby.

The Nun.
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Absolutely gorgeous roses, as usual, GF! But those birds have my attention today.

I've seen pics of miners and wagtails before, very cool! I didn't know wagtails were so pugnacious, though. Are they all that way, or just the Willie Wagtail? I also didn't know that miners are a type of honeyeater!

Have never seen the white plumed honeyeater before. I can see how it gets its nickname. Beautiful birds! Thanks for sharing!

That pelargonium is a delicious color!!

Old April 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I have some photo's of a female Willie Wagtail trying to persuade me to leave her nest alone. They had built it on the handlebars of an old bike, right in the middle, and when I went to take some photo's she put on that same "lame duck" act that ducks will do to persuade you that they are injured, therefore an easier target. She was at my feet virtually, ready to sacrifice herself. Brave little things, we admire their courage. I doubt if the Indian Miner is a honeyeater but the Noisy ones are. Our biggest I read somewhere. I love the little greenies but again, they are a bird some dislike because they are rough on the New Holland honeyeaters. Don't know why people worry about that, it's nature and all the species are still surviving.