Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM

Surgery or no surgery for lump, likely malignant

Hello, I'm on here looking for opinions to help advise a difficult decision. My 14-year-old spayed female indoor cat developed a lump by her nipple a few weeks ago, and since then it has grown and become quite raw-looking. It's about the size of a twoonie and raised up, and there is also an odour. The vet said the rawness and odour are from her licking the spot, which I rarely see her doing but evidently it's enough, so she is now wearing a cone, and is receiving topical antibiotic cream as of today.

The vet said it is likely a malignant tumour given the location next to her nipple, in which case there isn't much that can be done. I certainly cannot afford extensive intervention like chemotherapy. He said there is some chance that it might just be a growth, especially since she was spayed as a kitten and is otherwise healthy. She is fine in other ways: good appetite, no weight loss, just sleeping a bit more than usual.

He could do a biopsy but said it's often inconclusive and the $130 could be better spent elsewhere. The current thought is to do surgery (proceeded by xrays and bloodwork) to remove the lump, and test the removed material. This will be sufficient treatment if it's just a growth, and will confirm if it's cancerous. If it is the latter, again there's not much we can do beyond palliative care to keep her more comfortable over her remaining months (up to a year perhaps). It would be about $1400 all told for the surgery approach. This is money that will be hard for me to come up with, but I can borrow some and pay it back slowly.

It's very hard for me to accept not trying to do something for her. She's a very healthy and happy-seeming kitty in all other ways, and I certainly haven't come to view her - or her littermate sister - as old yet. At the same time, it seems maybe 80% likely that it's a malignant tumour that cannot be treated, so it seems a bit unreasonable to spend so much money to confirm this. I'm not sure what we'd do about the lump though if it isn't removed; I'm certainly not ok with her having to wear a cone endlessly.

I realise this is basically one version of the dilemma pet owners so often face, but if anyone has any input I'd be grateful, not to make the decision for me but to help me talk it out.

Thanks so much.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:46 AM

We, as pet owners need to address the health of our pets and sometimes have difficult decisions to make. I'm sorry your cat is not well and that you find yourself struggling with the choice you need to make. It is never easy whether the choice is financial or quality of life for our pets. Whatever choice you make, as a loving pet owner, you have made the right decision so try not to be too hard on yourself.

Although your cat seems to be fine other than the lump and sleeping more than usual, she is probably uncomfortable and in some degree of pain that she just doesn't show you. Our pets are masters at hiding their pain, it's part of their survival instinct.

I agree with you that 14 is not that old for a cat and she probably has a lot of life left to live. If you do the surgery and the pathology comes back that the lump was benign she may have quite a few years left with you. If the results are cancer, well the prognosis is grim. I think you need to do something though as the lump has to be addressed. Quality of life comes into play here in my opinion as your cats lump became raw and infected from her licking it. It must have been bothering her for her to lick it raw. Using the cone and antibiotic cream will hopefully help the lump heal but it will probably remain uncomfortable for her so the cone, as you said will need to continue.

Tough decision for you indeed. Perhaps you could get a second vet opinion regarding costs? In February I had a lump removed from my dog for just under $1000. If she were my cat I would do the surgery and find out the nature of the lump. Then you will know what you are dealing with. I wish you well with your kitty and with your decision.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Emble,

Sorry for the situation you are in. I lost a 12 year old cat to cancer (lymphosarcoma) a few years ago so i know this is tough to handle.

Lynne&co's logic is sound here imo. I also think maybe you can bring costs down as Lynne suggests by possibly seeking a second opinion or limiting the tests the vet will do. If the 1000-1400 won't crush you, then I think it's well spent even if the lump is malignant. At least the tumor will be gone so kitty will stop licking at it eventually. Be curious to read what other members suggest.

Wishing you and kitty
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

It is so tough, I don't envy you the decision. I recently had to spend similar amounts of money on my 13 year old lab. After all the testing it really didn't tell me anything at all. My vet suggested another round of tests at great cost and I said no. At almost 14 my girl is old and doesn't have 4 or 5 more years in her as your cat may (my last cat passed at 18). Sometimes money is a deciding factor. I have to say I would want to know what I was dealing with and would go ahead with the removal of the lump. I would make it clear to the vet that you need to keep the costs down and that they should limit the testing they do. Sorry you have to make this choice. Ultimately though knowing if you are dealing with cancer will help you to know what symptoms to look for and make it easier for you to decide things further down the line. Removing the lump will also likely make your cat more comfortable. Good luck and please keep us posted. Ultimately though, you will decide based on ability to afford it and your desire to care for your cat as best as you can. You need to do what is right for both of you, and then be good with it. Sometimes doing nothing is the best we can do and so be it. Don't beat up on yourself if you can't do it all!
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:29 PM

Thanks so much for the responses everyone, and the words of support. It's been suggested that I try vets outside of the city who might have significantly lower rates so I'll make some calls tomorrow. At the moment she's scheduled for surgery at our vet's on Monday, unless I cancel it. I'll ask them if they can reduce the number of tests but my understanding was that the xrays and blood tests were necessary for the anaesthesia, so I'm not sure they're optional. Always good to ask questions though. In the short term my kitty is at least enjoying the extra TLC.