Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM

How do I make her letting me know when she has to go???

my 7-month-old golden can hold her pee/poo when she is in her crate really long, sometimes more than 8 hours. When I am home and she is in the house I let her out in the backyard every tow hours or so, never had an accidnet.....I was so happy, and I thought the housetraining is done.

HOWEVER, last night, I left her out of her crate a bit longer, I forgot letting her out, and I thoguht she was lying there quietly chewing her rawhide....When I went to put her in her crate, I saw a big pool of PEE on my floor!!!!! I was like: why didn't you tell me!!! Just bark at the door or something!

Now think of it, she never let me know when she has to pee. She will go out and pee whenever I opened the backyark door. But if I don't open the door for her, she will just hold it until.........

How do you make your dog sending you the msg when they have to pee?

Thank you!
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I Love My Mini's

accidents happen thats for sure and thats what it sounds like happened to you, sounds like every couple of hours I'd let her outside, seems to be working from what you say, now on to your question, my dogs tend to start sniffing around and getting really edgy, nervous like and will tend to go into another room or even go into a corner, and I'll ask do you need to go outside and 9 out of 10 times they'll run to the door, a dog will usaully try to hide this from you and not do it infront of you, fearing they'll get in trouble, so just be on the look out for different behavior
Old April 16th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Unhappy

thank you for the advise. That's the problem, when the accident happened, I didn't keep an eye on her, i was watching TV.....I did't know whether she sniffed or circled....I just hope she can bark at the door and paw the door, any thing that can get my attention....
Old April 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

What you have been doing by letting her out every few hours is great but it isn't teaching her how to ask to go out and you are kind of rescuing her so she hasn't learned to communicate her needs to you.

Many dogs do great with little effort, but she has shown you that when you 'drop the ball' she isn't as house broken as you thought.

What you should try to do is create some kind of communication that she gets rewarded for everytime you let her out. You can hang a bell on the door and teach her to ring it before you open it to let her out.

You also need to be able to catch her in the act in case she starts to even think about soiling in the house. If 2 hours have gone by and you start to watch her behavior and notice a change in her energy, then wait until she starts to circle or do what she does just before she goes, and give her a quick "hey" or "no" and she should look up (oops, I got caught!! look in her eyes) and then be happy and invite her outside. Go outside with her and stay with her until she goes and then praise the heck out of it. You are teaching her not to soil YOUR house but she can soil the yard. Leaders need to claim territory for the followers to respect their space.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Love is the answer!

My pup Bonnie does the same thing... as soon as she gets up from her bed in our family room I go to the door and ask her if she wants to go 'wee wee'. When I first brought her home at 10 weeks I started giving the need to relieve herself a name 'wee wee' seemed a good one because of my 3 year old twins who use this as well. I would walk her to the side of the house and say 'wee wee' and 9 times out of 10 she would squat and go! Don't be disheartened because I'm also toilet training 3 year old twins and they make mistakes and forget the rules. As a large/giant female she won't have complete bladder control until she is 9 months old and even then that's just an average. Bonnie had an accident today, with all the distraction with the kids and cooking dinner I missed the signs and she did a wee in the middle of my carpet and as soon as she saw the expression on my face she jumped into her bed and looked as though she was about to get scolded which told me in that action that she new that it was wrong to wee inside the house. That is the first step in training her because trying to teach an animal to not do something that they don't see as wrong is very difficult. If you have any more accidents just watch how she act immediately afterwards and that will tell you if you are on the right track with training. Good luck from one large/giant breed to another!
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Thank you Tenderfoot & Melhusking!!! Very good advise, and I will try those ones....Thanks again!
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM

She peed AGAIN today in the kitchen.......I was cooking, hubby got home, let her out of her crate and forgot to let her out of the house....and there she goes....I feel like pulling my hair......Again, she didn't give ANY sign that she needs to go AT ALL.....The problem is: without catching her in the action there is no way for us to let her that it's wrong to go in the house.....
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Both of the times you mentioned she peed in the house it sounds like it was inattentiveness on your part. One time you were watching TV, the next time your husband didn't take her out when he should have. It is NOT the puppy's fault. Please do not scold her. Take her outside as soon as you see what she has done and praise her when she pees. Do not let her see your frustration. That will only make it worse for her. She is, after all, still a puppy. She does not know what you want from her. It is up to you to be consistent, consistent, consistent. That can not be repeated enough. You sound like you are getting frustrated. Take a deep breath, this too shall pass. You will be rewarded with years and years of unconditional love.
But please.......be patient........

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Jack's mom

I'm not alone!

We have had our dog for about a month now he is an 11 week old black lab german shephard mix, I am home with him all day mostly every day, I take him out every few hours, and I try to catch him before he messes in the house but he will only mess in a certain part of the house. Mainly in my kids rooms. He won't pee or poop anywhere else in the house. How do I stop him from doing this? He will usually do it after I take him out. I take him out and go out with him for 20-30 minutes and he will pee but won't poop, and as soon as I get him inside he pees again and poops. It is my first time owning a dog and have read pretty much every article out there but nothing seems to work.
I am also wondering about his biting. He will chew on his toys, we tell him no when he chews on the kids toys, but he also will bite my kids clothes as they are walking by. How can I stop this?
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Swift Tribe

get yourself a bear bell, hang it on the door. ring it with her nose each time you guys go outside. worked wonders for us! eventually she will ring the bell on her own.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
get yourself a bear bell, hang it on the door. ring it with her nose each time you guys go outside. worked wonders for us! eventually she will ring the bell on her own.

-ash
I second that idea. This is how I trained my first Minpin, and am in the process of doing this again with my second. I found that you really didn't even have to ring the bell because just opening the door created the sound, and she figured it out on her own. Just be warned that eventually when she puts it all together that ringing that bell will let her out......she will probably want ring it for other things as well. Like going for a walk....chasing the birds....etc. I felt like a dog servant for awhile....lol. (actually I still feel like a dog servant )

Another thing....you can use any bell and string, it doesn't have to be a bear bell. Just tie it to the doorknob about nose level. (the dogs nose, NOT yours!)

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......

Last edited by Purpledomino; April 29th, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: forgot to add.......
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM

I love the bell. We got our sheltie when she was 4mths and potty training was easy as pie.