Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 6th, 2015, 02:33 AM

Unhappy adoption

Hi
Im new here and have no clue as to what I am doing.
Iam looking to adopt a rust colored female not much older then 3. I am hoping to adopt,rather then buy. I live in the Montreal area and presently have a 7 month old pomeranien, and a 7 year old rescued cat that is very mellow..as well as a 20 year old African Grey Parrot. I need that 1 more to complete.I really hope im doing thios right and i guess ill get it with some practice lol.

roslyn
Old January 7th, 2015, 08:08 AM

Welcome. I am assuming you are meaning another dog? What size? Most shelters and rescues will have an assortment of wonderful dogs to adopt. Good luck with your search. Research breeds so you will get one that fits in with your mellow family.
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Neo+cats

We just went through a very frustrating search for rescues and shelters. We know where our local shelter is, and went there, but found only 3-4 digs, none of which being what we were looking for. Back home, we started web-searching for shelters, adoption groups etc in the general area, as far as 100 Km around. I am sure there are plenty, but though they all say adopt, don't buy, they are not good at marketing themselves. The few we found, either had no site-link, or it was a link to Petfinder which didn't have a way of choosing Canada, all we could do was put a US zip code!
I ended up so frustrated I could have cried

Basically, we gave up!

2 weeks later, my husband was looking around on Kijiji, stranger things have been found there after all. Nothing in Ontario within day-trip distance. Suddenly he said, let me try Quebec. And there were 2 Mastiffs, both available from the same adoption group, but one ... we looked at the photo and knew, she was ours!

Now she is but seriously, something should be done in order to facilitate the search for adoption groups, fostered animals, shelters and Humane Societies. I don't even want to think about how someone will go about locating a lost pet since dog catchers aren't listed either! Makes me wonder how many unclaimed pets are simply not found!

sort of.

Try Kijiji, not saying it's the ideal media, and I would make serious checks on an individual rehoming ad, but there are adoption/foster groups advertising on there too we found out.

You can check on Facebook, Nali Adoption has a page and photos.
Old February 14th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs&acat View Post
Welcome. I am assuming you are meaning another dog? What size? Most shelters and rescues will have an assortment of wonderful dogs to adopt. Good luck with your search. Research breeds so you will get one that fits in with your mellow family.
You beat me to this I was thinking this too , or dog or cat. What ever the OP does get should be introduce to their furry family slowly. Maybe the OP could be a foster parent and see if the cat/dog get along with the rest of the gang.