Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM

New senior dog owner

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 12 year old Golden Retriever named Brady. We live in Coquitlam, British Columbia. I'm trying to find some dog psychology right now. I see there is a thread titled dog behaviour problems but I'm not sure whether that would be the right thread to talk about the problem. In Nov. 2009 my Brady had a quick operation to remove a growth under his upper eyelid. When he came home he was desperately thirsty. I've never seen him so desperate. That night he woke me up about 7-8 times to take him outside to go to the bathroom or so I thought. But all he did was go out the side door and walk around the building (condo), not stopping, and into the front door. This has been going on every since the operation. Now, 5 out of about 7 nights, he wakes me up about 2 or more times a night. I take him outside the first time but he only does a little pee. It's only been about 2-3 hours since his last time out. Then he wakes me up again but I have learned that he doesn't really need to go pee. I have also learned that sometimes he needs me to just get out of bed and tell him that he is ok and that we just went out a little while ago. I also tell him he can sleep next to the bed. A lot of the times this happens it has been raining hard on the roof. Last night he woke me up and I took him out to pee. Then later he woke me up again but I didn't get out of bed. I instead, told him he was fine and that we had just gone out and he can sleep next to the bed. It didn't work. He kept whimpering. Sometimes I try being firm with him and saying no. Secretly I hate doing that. He has been such a good boy all these years and almost always when he complains there is something wrong.

Does anybody have any ideas about this or suggestions? Also, could somebody direct me to the right thread to talk about this.

Desperately tired. Thanks
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca !

I think Brady might have an health issue. Has he been to the vet since this all started ?
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Thanks Frenchy. No I haven't taken Brady to the vet since the operation. I have been upset about the state he came home in. I'm not upset with the vet, because he came in on his day off to do the operation, but with the support staff. I've been saying to people that I think the operation effected his mind and I think it has. Do you think it might be a physical problem?
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It does sound like it could be something physical. A vet evaluation would be a good first step in figuring out what's going on with Brady. Sounds like you both could use some rest!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 14th, 2010, 11:01 PM

O.K. thanks. I'll phone and see if I can get one this coming Sat.
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Do you think it might be a physical problem?
I think so. It may not be something serious so try not too worry too much.

I adopted 3 senior goldens , they all passed away since. I know how these dogs are stoic , pain tolerant. So when you think something is up with them , it usual is.
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:43 AM

Thanks Frenchy. I have an appointment with the vet this coming Sat. so I'll see what happens. It's not raining tonight so I should get a good sleep and I hope Brady does too. What a wierd combination hey. Pray for no rain.
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope the vet can find out what is wrong with your pup. My hub's dog gets upset when it rains, but that is because she is afraid of thunderstorums and thinks when it's raining the boomers are going to start. She couldn't have a bladder infection could she?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:42 AM
One dog at a time...

I don't have any advice just wanted to send you for finding out what is wrong. Poor Brady! (and poor you) It is so frustrating when we know something is wrong with our babies but we don't know what.

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
-

You guys in Vancouver have had lots of rain lately, maybe that's just it.

Bailey , at first , was only scared of thunder but it went on to only rain
Old February 19th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Thanks Frenchy, Lodi girl, Tundra Queen. The last 3 nights it hasn't rained and Brady hasn't woke me up. So I think it is the rain. I'm starting to realize that Brady doesn't always need to go to the bathroom. Before he had the operation, Brady would only wake me up if it was important. So, I learned to trust him. He wouldn't even turn it into a habit. After the emergency was over, we were back to normal. When this craziness started I just assumed he needed to go to the bathroom. Now I am learning that most times he just needs me to get out of bed and tell him he is ok. I read somewhere recently that senior dogs can get anxious, insecure. He doesn't like the sound of heavy rain on the roof, he gets a little spooked with it. Maybe getting older now, he feels more afraid. It's strange though how it started right after the operation. Hopefully, the vet will help me figure it out.
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Kitty pimp

animals can get very thirsty after anethisia (sp)

he just doesnt like that sound mine used to whimper at the squrrellls on the roof even when he was under the covers with us on the bed! remember retreivers can be v weird sometimes
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM

Thanks Jim. It's just that the anesthesia was a small amount because he only needed to be out for 5-10 min. and yet I have never seen him so thirsty. He has had other operations but he wasn't as thirsty as this time. I know what you mean about goldens, sometimes I think I have seen Brady being a little wimp. I hope that this is not going to happen every time it is raining hard because we live in Metro Vancouver. It rains here a lot.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:22 PM

Hi everyone. I just finished posting a long report of what happened at the vet office this weekend and hit submit reply and it said I wasn't signed on. This has happened before at this site and I just sign in and it seems to take my post. This time it didn't. I don't want to say everything over again so I'll just say at this point that it's looking like Brady is coming to canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome. I'll be watching his stress level and what may effect it more closely.

Thanks for the support you guys.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Skylar's Farm

If the vet hasn't found anything out of whack...then Brady could very well have some anxiety issues since the surgery.
My Lab had an eyelid tumour removed but she was younger, around 8 yrs of age, and it was still a few days to bounce back.
Best wishes, hug the pup.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Best wishes for Brady, Retriever.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Its been a few days now and things seem to be going better. When it's been raining or I know it is suppose to rain I have been leaving the tv on to try and muffle the sound of the rain on the roof. When I come from work Brady seems happier, more well balanced. I know some people leave their tv on for their pets but Brady has always liked the quietness. I guess the anxiety of getting older is like separation anxiety of younger pups. Thanks for all your support. Here's hoping that we are on the right track.
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I have a CD player that takes 5 discs and that I can set on repeat. Maybe something like that would work for Brady, too?

Glad to hear that you're getting a handle on Brady's problem. He sounds like a lovely fella otherwise. Have you posted any pics of the handsome Brady, yet? If you've got some, we'd love to see him!

Old February 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Retriever, just saw this thread. I have a 12 year old Akita cross and we're in Coquitlam too. I hear you about the rain, and the aging furkid. It's a tough time to watch out pets get old and see them change. I think the TV will held him hugely. Shadow loves watching 101 Dalmations.
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:48 PM

I tried to post Brady's picture once before but it didn't work. I'm looking again and I see some different instructions. The situation with Brady seems to be getting better.
Attached Images

Old March 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Retriever,Wow,Brady is a beautiful boy,I am glad he's doing betterlove his whiteish face
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, he's gorgeous! Glad to hear that he's continuing to improve

Old March 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, he is my boy. I am so lucky and honered to have such a good boy in my life.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Oh what a beauty!
I just want to snuggle right into that soft wavy fur. Glad to hear that he's doing better.

Tags
anxiety, behaviour problems, senior dog