Old June 28th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Neo+cats

worms

Anyone know what to do to get rid of worms in a cat - other than going to a vet and getting chemical meds?
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Neo+cats

Also, can they move from one cat to another?

Silly questions maybe, but I never had a cat with worms before.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie-mom View Post
Anyone know what to do to get rid of worms in a cat - other than going to a vet and getting chemical meds?
I guess you could try a holistic vet , I never when to one so I can't say if it will work. Maybe some here has and can let you know .
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

What kind of worms are they?

Honestly, a dewormer from the vet really is the best (and actually, safest) option. I hear ya on not wanting to use a lot of synthetic chemicals, I'm totally the same way. But when dealing with worms, there just aren't any effective and safe natural remedies for cats.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Neo+cats

Darn oh well, I'll stop at a vet's tomorrow on my way home from work I guess. Thanks!

Not sure what kind they are. White almost translucent but not really, if that makes sense; longer than a grain of rice. Only seen one though so maybe she's not badly infested.

Guess we'll get her a flea collar as well, though she's an indoor cat now.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes you have yourself a tapeworm. The only real effective way to deal with this one is a vet visit.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM

Never had an animal with worms, but I'd make a quick visit to your vet, best way to treat things. Good luck!
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie-mom View Post
Guess we'll get her a flea collar as well, though she's an indoor cat now.
If you want to avoid chemicals, absolutely stay away from flea collars. They are some of the most toxic forms of pest control (and also the least effective). Here are a few ideas for controlling fleas without having to resort to chemical warfare:
http://eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html
http://www.christinachambreau.com/docs/fleas.pdf

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure if your vet would want a stool sample, but if you're heading in and can do it it may not hurt to take one with you.

I had two indoor cats for 18 years and never had to use a flea collar on them. I'd avoid that if at all possible. Buy a flea comb and check them regularly, then only treat if you need to. We never had a problem with flea's, even though we had a dog who was outside often at the same time,it just wasn't an issue, and in BC it's pretty mild year round, so flea's are available!
Old July 1st, 2012, 07:17 AM
Neo+cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
If you want to avoid chemicals, absolutely stay away from flea collars. They are some of the most toxic forms of pest control (and also the least effective). Here are a few ideas for controlling fleas without having to resort to chemical warfare:
http://eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html
http://www.christinachambreau.com/docs/fleas.pdf
http://eartheasy.com/non-toxic-pest-...-earth-4-4-lbs looks like an idea, thanks for the links.

I started by using the same essential oils I used when I had a bed-bug infestations after a move (must have come from the blankets the movers used, because I had none in the old place, and none in the new for the week before the movers brought the larger items I couldn't move on my own) verveine, lavender and tea tree - I used 7 drops of each on the bed bugs, but just one each now as the cat isn't a human and apparently it's not unanimous that this is a good thing for cats.

I do brush her, even bought a brand new fine-toothed wire brush for small dogs, which goes well into her fur. No sign of fleas, and other than that one worm - no sign of any other, including in the poop (@ Dog Dancer's post quoted below)

Got a general dewormer and giving that just in case, she's taking it just fine. She's also eating-sleeping-eating-sleeping.

We're not sure whether she has strayed too far from her home and couldn't find her way back (frightened by something and ran?) or if someone decided that it's now summer vacation and "we don't have time for this cat" with kids off school and trips planned etc, just dumping her. She's certainly not a feral kitten, I proved that with the vacuum cleaner yesterday she walked by it on her way from sleeping-chair to food bowl, not even worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Not sure if your vet would want a stool sample, but if you're heading in and can do it it may not hurt to take one with you.

I had two indoor cats for 18 years and never had to use a flea collar on them. I'd avoid that if at all possible. Buy a flea comb and check them regularly, then only treat if you need to. We never had a problem with flea's, even though we had a dog who was outside often at the same time,it just wasn't an issue, and in BC it's pretty mild year round, so flea's are available!