Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:52 PM

Allergic reaction on my cats legs

My kitty Mischa seems to be experiencing an allergic reaction to something. Her skin is obviously very itchy and she is licking her from legs raw, she's licked the hair off he inside of one of them. I just got home and noticed her constant licking and when i looked i saw this:

Name:  photo (6).JPG
Views: 327
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  photo (7).JPG
Views: 306
Size:  83.4 KB

I've always suspected her of having allergies because she has frequent stomach upsets and vomiting episodes. My previous vet wouldn't even entertain the idea that she had allergies and the new vet couldn't get a look at her, she's so traumatized by vets that they've classified her as a 2 star cat (dangerous to herself and others).

I've been trying to get her on a more natural diet, adding partially cooked chicken to both my cats meals is just the start, they both seem to like it which is good and her vomiting hasn't reoccurred in a while. Next i plan to add more raw food to their diets but i must have inadvertently given her something she's allergic too and caused this itching.

So, is there anything i can do/give her that will help her out. I'd hate for her to lick her legs until they bleed. I applied an anti itch spray i have which says it's good for cats,dogs and horses but she promptly licked it off. I don't really want to apply more in case it upsets her guts. I also considered wrapping her legs with soft gauze and vet wrap (i have some at the barn fro my horse i could go get) but again i'n not sure if this will help or make it agonizing for her.

Any advice?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww, that does look rather sore. This just started suddenly? Has there been a change in any laundry detergents or cleaning products? What about cat litter? Does she go outside at all?

Personally, I'm not sure the vet wrap would work all that well and I especially wouldn't leave it on her unsupervised in case it comes off and tangles up in something. What was the anti-itch spray that you tried? Maybe something like Vetericyn would work better?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:00 AM

It looks a little better this morning. She's had something similar in the past, but smaller and only on one leg, that went away on it's own. No change in the house with anything i use. The spray is just called relief spray. My mam got it for her dog when he had an itchy spot of skin and gave it to me not long ago. My friend has some vetericyn she could probably lend to me, she got it for her horse when he got sunburned.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa91 View Post
My kitty Mischa seems to be experiencing an allergic reaction to something. Her skin is obviously very itchy and she is licking her from legs raw, she's licked the hair off he inside of one of them. I just got home and noticed her constant licking and when i looked i saw this:

Attachment 77698

Attachment 77699

I've always suspected her of having allergies because she has frequent stomach upsets and vomiting episodes. My previous vet wouldn't even entertain the idea that she had allergies and the new vet couldn't get a look at her, she's so traumatized by vets that they've classified her as a 2 star cat (dangerous to herself and others).

I've been trying to get her on a more natural diet, adding partially cooked chicken to both my cats meals is just the start, they both seem to like it which is good and her vomiting hasn't reoccurred in a while. Next i plan to add more raw food to their diets but i must have inadvertently given her something she's allergic too and caused this itching.

So, is there anything i can do/give her that will help her out. I'd hate for her to lick her legs until they bleed. I applied an anti itch spray i have which says it's good for cats,dogs and horses but she promptly licked it off. I don't really want to apply more in case it upsets her guts. I also considered wrapping her legs with soft gauze and vet wrap (i have some at the barn fro my horse i could go get) but again i'n not sure if this will help or make it agonizing for her.

Any advice?
Could you put a Elizabethan collar on her then she will not be able to lick off
the anti itch spray? Poor cat. Did you clean your carpets recently?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It may not be an allergic reaction at all. It may be caused by stress.

Have you added any new pets lately? Or has one been sick and passed? There are many things that can cause stress to a cat. I just don't want you to concentrate on allergies when that may not be the cause at all.

Can your vet do a home visit?

Here's a couple of sites for you to peruse. Maybe you can find something to help you.
http://www.a-house-full-of-cats.com/...rremedies.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Stress-in-Cats

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Could you put a Elizabethan collar on her then she will not be able to lick off
the anti itch spray? Poor cat. Did you clean your carpets recently?
She seems to have stopped licking it so much now. I haven't cleaned the carpets but i need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
It may not be an allergic reaction at all. It may be caused by stress.

Have you added any new pets lately? Or has one been sick and passed? There are many things that can cause stress to a cat. I just don't want you to concentrate on allergies when that may not be the cause at all.

Can your vet do a home visit?

Here's a couple of sites for you to peruse. Maybe you can find something to help you.
http://www.a-house-full-of-cats.com/...rremedies.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Stress-in-Cats
Hmm. well the vet did a home visit recently because my other cat was sick and Mischa didn't enjoy the experience, she hid under the bed and growled for a week at everything and everyone. The vet didn't even touch her or get to look at her, what can i say, she hates vets with a passion.

I'll check out the sites and see if i can find something that might help.
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa91 View Post
She seems to have stopped licking it so much now. I haven't cleaned the carpets but i need to.

Hmm. well the vet did a home visit recently because my other cat was sick and Mischa didn't enjoy the experience, she hid under the bed and growled for a week at everything and everyone. The vet didn't even touch her or get to look at her, what can i say, she hates vets with a passion.

I'll check out the sites and see if i can find something that might help.
Made sure you use not do use anything toxic to pets. I cleaned my rugs once then realize the cleaning product could be toxic to my 2 cats. I called a ER vet up and they told me to wash my cats paws off right away so would not lick the cleaning product off their paws and I had to keep my cats off the rugs until it was dry. I had to keep my cats in the bathroom , they where not too happy about that.