Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM

TLC dog food

Anyone know anything about TLC Whole Life Pet Food? It's what my breeder feeds her dogs.
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
-

I went to their website and the ingredient list is really hard to check as you have to click on carbohydrates, proteins, fats, etc. but from what I could see it doesn't impress me much. If you could list the ingredients from the bag for us we would be able to help much better.
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:53 PM

TLC ingredients

Thanks Rainbow,
Here are the ingredients as listed on the bag
Abbysma
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1.txt (2.3 KB, 153 views)
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
-

Quote:
Ingredients
LAMB MEAL, POULTRY MEAL, Brewers Rice, Oatmeal, Wheat, Poultry Fat. (preserved with tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Corn Gluten Meal, Apple Pomace, Chicken, Kelp Meal, Flaxseed, Dried Whole Egg, Natural Flavours,- Yeast Culture, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Garlic, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin supplements (A,D,E), Ferrous sulphate, Zinc Proteinate, Tomato powder, Lecithin, Thyme, Cassia, Anise, Rosemary Extract, Chamomile, Horseradish, Juniper, Thiamine mononitrate, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulphate, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite(source of Vitamin K activity), Manganese Oxide,' Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate.
**Attention**Since no artificial flavouring or colouring agents are added, colour and appearance may vary slightly from lot to lot.
TLC Super Premium Canine Diet is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the f1AFC0 Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
The ingredients in red are bad IMO. You never want to see "poultry" as an ingredient as it can be any type of fowl or a combination of. They should say "chicken" or "turkey" specifically. I don't like wheat or corn gluten meal as there is always the potential for mold contamination. Menadione Sodium Bisulfite is an artificial Vitamin K (Vitamin K3) that has been banned for human consumption. They should use Vitamin K1 which is a natural form or, better yet, use natural food sources to supply Vitamin K.

A couple of good websites to check out are www.dogfoodproject.com and www.dogaware.com .....click on all the links for some excellent information.

You'll likely have lots of questions and there's lots of people here with answers so ask away.
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
-

Agreed Rainbow. I would also add that TLC appears to contain "Natural Flavours" to which my response is ....if you're proud of your ingredients ~ why not tell me what so natural in your "natural flavours" ?
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
-

Yeah, I don't like when they use the term "natural flavours" either.
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Tlc?

Okey dokey, so I'm hearing that it's not highly recommended and somewhat elusive...any recommendations for dry kibble? I have a three month old standard poodle, an almost 6 tear old greyhound and a 6 year old multipoo (with immune mediated issues). I know it's quite a mix but I guess you'd say I'm a sucker for those big brown eyes.
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Remembering Lukka

I like to feed Orijen. Lukka has been on a few different brands of kibble in the past year but the Orijen is the best food so far that she has been on.
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:07 AM
-

Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com) would be my first choice as well. Other good foods are:

Innova (www.naturapet.com)
EVO (www.naturapet.com)
Canidae (www.canidae.com)
Timberwolf Organics (www.timberwolforganics.com)
Go Natural (www.petcurean.com)
Wellness and Wellness CORE (www.oldmotherubbard.com/wellness
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My puppies breeder puts all of her puppies on Iams puppy I knew that was the first thing I was going to change when I got the pups, they're on Orijen puppy that I mix with Wellness canned. They're doing very well on it.

Cindy
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks,
I'll check those out and keep you informed.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM

TLC or???

I did some checking on the those foods you suggested and I decided )though not easily) to try the Go! Natural. I like that they are Canadian, the ingredients look good and it's pretty easy to find around here. I'll let you all know how the kids like it.
Thanks again for your help!
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:44 AM
-

Go Natural is a good food and it's a bonus that they are Canadian. What formula did you decide on?

As a side note, Orijen is also a Canadian brand that is an excellent choice and where I live it is also less expensive than Go Natural.