Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:00 PM

Switching from RAW to cooked

I was wondering if anyone here has switched to cooked food from raw. I recently switched my 6lb papillon to cooked food and now she hasn't pooped in 24 hrs. She used to go right after each meal on raw. I'm thinking it is due to the rice in the cooked recipe. Anyone run into this before? Maybe I should add pumpkin to the recipe or eliminate the carb portion?
RAW recipe: 75% meat, 20% bone, 5% veg.
Cooked recipe: 16oz. meat, 8oz. carb., 4oz. Veg., After cooking add in
1tsp ground egg shell, 1 capsule omega 3.
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Wish I had an answer for you Lynne, sorry, never done that switch. Why are you switching her from raw to cooked? Just curious, I think both are great. Although my older dog wouldn't eat my cooking! Go figure! Has she gone yet? Have you tried slippery elm, I have heard lots of good about that as well as pumpkin.
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Dietary changes can often temporarily affect the way the digestive tract processes the new food....hopefully this is temporary though. The rice is definitely a potential culprit but not sure if it's a big deal or not in the long-term. (I don't have much knowledge in this domain so hopefully others will add even more info)

In terms of relieving constipation though, our cat Twiggy has this issue and both canned pumpkin as well as prune baby food helps her out. big time. (I teaspoon mixed with her soft food ) per meal is what she normally gets.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM

The RAW Jazz eats only comes in one or five pound blocks so it goes bad before she can eat it. She only eats 1.5 oz twice a day which I used to just scoop from my other dogs food. She has been out of sorts since our other dog passed away and refuses to eat the 1oz RAW nuggets from another supplier. I got desperate and gave her some of our food by hand which she gobbled up so then decided to switch her DD.
I'm not interested in hand feeding RAW but have no problem hand feeding cooked food to her. I'll get her back to eating out of a bowl eventually too. When she came to us as a rescue two years ago she was fearful of eating from a bowl so kind of a step backwards for her right now.
Great news is she finally "went" this morning. I think your right Marko that the rice messed with her system so I'm going to reduce the recipe to 4oz carb and see how that goes. I'm not really sure why the rice is in cooked food?
Old July 27th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Switch the rice to sweet potato? Stella and Chewy's makes a raw for small dogs frozen. And Orijen is making a freeze dried raw that's easier for small dogs.
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad she went Lynne. The 5 lb frozen block of chicken mix I buy lasts me about 2 days (mixed with lots of other stuff). I use the chicken/bone mix as a base and then add meat and bone and organs to it. The Moots each eat about 2 lbs a day, Nikki a bit more. Your little one will get settled soon no doubt. I hear you about hand feeding raw. I had to laugh Nikki's trainer suggested hand feeding his food during training, I was like NO - that's not happening. Couldn't see myself carrying around a bag of raw liver or heart as a training tool!
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:09 PM

OMG I'm in stitches Carrying around a bag of organs! Yikes!
I've always given whiskas temptations cat treats to all my pets so when I shake the bag the dog comes running with the cat. It's such a small treat I'm sure it is okay for dogs. Best part is it doesn't leave any bloody residue on my hand