Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM

good low-phosphorus cat food?

I have a cat with beginning stage CRF and want to feed him a good quality LOW PHOSPHORUS content canned or pouch food. wellness canned is too high (don't know about the pouches), evo is too high, and perscription diets are awful and make him sick. I've been trying to get him to eat the frozen prepackaged raw food for several days, but he won't touch it. Any advice/suggestions?
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:26 PM
-

One of the members here (growler) has a crf kitty and has excellent information in her thread here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....horus+cat+food

She is usually logged on every night around 8:00pm pacific time and will be more than happy to give you more advice. Sugarcatmom is also another cat guru here and has extensive information as well.

Growler's cat Duffy is 16 years old and has been living with crf for over a year and is doing very well with the excellent care received from her mom.

Good luck with your kitty.
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM

thank you; I appreciate that link. I've pretty much read all there is on the Internet about CRF in the past month! It seems like most people are saying the raw food diet is best, but my cat WILL NOT TOUCH it. :sad: and some people in that thread were discussing Wellness, but the cans have more phosphorus than the pouches, from what I'm finding out. I wonder if anyone has any experiences with wellness pouches on a CRF cat?
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:53 PM
-

I did a quick search and here are the threads where phosphorus levels in cat food are discussed...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=2687308

Growler has done extensive research on feeding a crf cat and will see this thread when she logs on, as will sugarcatmom.
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have also followed growler's advice on low phosphurus food for my senior Puddles who has permanent kidney damage and it has been a Godsend for her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a link to the infamous Janet & Binky food charts, which lists the amount of phosphorus in various canned foods: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/CanFoodNew.html

I'm sure you know that something around 1% DM or lower is what you're looking for, which roughly translates to 240mg per 100 calories or less. The canned Wellness flavours that fit the bill are Turkey (200mg), Kitten (216mg), Chicken (219mg), and Beef & Chicken (226mg). I have no idea what the Wellness pouches come in at so can't comment on those.

If you want to go even lower, I recommend Innova EVO 95% Venison (146mg) and the 95% Beef (171mg). Felidae Chicken & Rice is also decent if you don't mind some grains (172mg). Some of the Precise flavours (Turkey, Chicken, Triple Delight, Deluxe Medley, and Mixed Grill) are all under 220mg. They also have grains, but small amounts since the overall carb content is quite low.

As far as getting him to eat raw, how have you introduced it? Will he eat a plain piece of cooked chicken breast? You might just have to go really really slowly, putting a pin-prick amount in with his regular food and then ever so gradually increasing the size over the course of several weeks.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Lightbulb Crf

I must admit I wept a little when I saw this website. My best friend Greymalkin was diagnosed with CRF 2 months ago and I'm in the thick of things testing different foods to see what he will and will not eat. I've sat up with him at night pleading that he would atleast finish a 1/2 a mini can of K/d... this whole thing is heroing.

That said, Grey is taking it like a champ, he's perfectly happy. As far as he is concerned mommy is just a nut job. He also likes all the extra attention.

On the talk about water intake I found a great article on making flavored waters :
" While you are working toward getting your cat to eat canned food, you can increase their water intake by using flavored waters such as tuna water, beef or chicken broth, clam juice, lactose-free cat milk, etc.You can make you own tuna water by adding 3 cups of water to a can of tuna. Mash it up and let it sit for ~15 minutes then pour the water into covered (to help maintain freshness) ice cube trays. 3 cups of water will fill two 16-cube trays. The ice cube trays can be used for other flavored liquids as well."

I've given him the lactose-free catsip to boost his caloric intake and he loves it but the tuna slurry is in the freezer now so I can try it. It sounds disgusting but if it works

Just thought I'd pass that on!

Off to go try a new food now (Fussie Kitty)
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattaclysm View Post
you can increase their water intake by using flavored waters such as tuna water, beef or chicken broth, clam juice,
My personal opinion, but I think lower-sodium canned salmon works best for this. Most broths, canned tuna, and especially clam juice, are WAY too high in sodium for a cat with renal issues.

You could also try adding a few tbsp of warm water to plain meat baby food (chicken is a favourite for many cats).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattaclysm View Post
Off to go try a new food now (Fussie Kitty)
Good luck! Have you ever tried Weruva? Many of the chicken-based flavours are low in phosphorus and any cat I know that's tried it has gone nuts for it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM

Arrow electrolites for you cats

I didn't see anywhere in here about giving electrolites to help with the renal failler. I bot a bottle from a pharmacy for $3. I squirt it in her mouth 3-4 times a day, (3ml each). It makes all the difference. She can eat and play and feels good again.
My Russian Blue is only 2, but she was vaccinated again before I adopted her and that destroyed her kidneys.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM

Question Wysong

HEllo
I have 2 dogs and 5 cats one cat with the starting stage of CRF. He is an older outside cat I got from the people who moved out a few years back, He was lossing weight and not doing well then I came across this forum and started with the wellness Low phosphorus canned food and raw chicken, he is doing much better now so thanks to everyone form all the info. Now I want ot start feeding all my pets a better diet! I know Grain free is a big term right now but I was also looking at the Wysong food products and they seem Very much against grain free and go for starch free! Has anyone got any experience with this brand for dogs or cats?
Thanks!
Rob
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grontrek View Post
He was lossing weight and not doing well then I came across this forum and started with the wellness Low phosphorus canned food and raw chicken, he is doing much better now so thanks to everyone form all the info.
Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grontrek View Post
Now I want ot start feeding all my pets a better diet! I know Grain free is a big term right now but I was also looking at the Wysong food products and they seem Very much against grain free and go for starch free! Has anyone got any experience with this brand for dogs or cats?
I'm not a big fan of most of the Wysong foods for cats (except the Au Jus canned, for occasional feeding only since it's just meat and not nutritionally balanced). They have some whacked ingredients in most of their products, like plums. Seriously? Plums? But my biggest issue with the Epigen dry foods is that they're dry. Cats need the moisture of a wet food diet. Their low thirst drive results in chronic dehydration when only eating kibble, and consequently puts them at big risk for a number of health conditions like bladder/urinary tract disorders and even renal insufficiency. So if you can manage to feed all your kitties either canned or a balanced raw diet, that would be my number one recommendation. Maybe the doggies would be fine on Wysong though .

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Angry fluid cat eating straight venison - phosphorus

I have 6 cats, one has had blood in his urine. Am I hurting him by give him ground venison raw?
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodsgn View Post
I have 6 cats, one has had blood in his urine. Am I hurting him by give him ground venison raw?
Hi autodsgn,

We need a bit more info on your situation before commenting on the venison. First of all, has your cat been to the vet? If so, what tests were done and what was the treatment? Does he still have bloody urine or is it gone now?

As for the raw venison, are you just feeding ground muscle meat or do you include bones and organs or any supplements? Does he eat anything else?

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I wouldn't think so, venison is very good for your cats as long as you are feeding cat food or organs and bones along with it. Is your cat under vet care for the blood? What is the diagnosis?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Please Help!

I am new to this forum. I have a 16 year old cat with was just diagnosed with renal disease. She has a very mild case. The vet recommended Purina NF, but since this happened, I have been doing research on food ingredients in cat food and I am unhappy with what Purina contains. I have tried contacting wellness and blue buffalo to see what they have for low phosphorus food but upon learning that I have a cat with renal disease, they refuse to give me any information and say I should contact my vet. I contacted my vet who would only recommend what they have on their shelf, which if Science Diet (Which I will never feed) and Purina. I have fed my cats nothing but dry food (and canned food for a treat once in a while) for their entire lives, only to find out that it should have been the other way around. I am starting pretty much from scratch and I don't know what to do. I don't want to feed her a poor diet, she has already lost almost 4 pounds in the last year and a half, and thats mostly muscle, she has been having problems jumping or even if she tries to run, her back end can't keep up with her. I hate to see her decline and I want to put her on a nutritous food that will keep all her levels where they should be but also help her get to a healthy muscle mass. I know she is supposed to have low phosphorus levels, but I don't know how to go about calculating how much she should have or what she shouldn't have. I have read that I should stay away from fish products, and that chicken or turkey is the best. I am already feeding her an all wet canned food diet (which she prefers). If someone could help me to figure out what would be the best for me to feed her, I would greatly appreciate the help. When the vet turned me away I was in tears because I feel helpless. I don't want to see my best friend waste away. Please Help!
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryPaws View Post
I am new to this forum.
Hi FurryPaws, and welcome to the board.

Quote:
I have a 16 year old cat with was just diagnosed with renal disease. She has a very mild case.
Do you have a copy of the lab results, including a urinalysis? I'm a little concerned about the amount of weight she's lost, considering the CKD is supposedly mild. Was she overweight before? My own cat has had stage 3 renal disease for almost 3 years and he hasn't lost any weight.

Quote:
The vet recommended Purina NF, but since this happened, I have been doing research on food ingredients in cat food and I am unhappy with what Purina contains.
Good for you for doing some research! Unfortunately most vets don't have the first clue about what cats should be eating, especially when a chronic health condition is involved.

Quote:
I have tried contacting wellness and blue buffalo to see what they have for low phosphorus food but upon learning that I have a cat with renal disease, they refuse to give me any information and say I should contact my vet.
Just covering their @sses. Lots of people have already compiled the info from various companies though, which can be found at these links: http://catinfo.org/ (click on "Phosphorus in Cat Food - Chart" on the right hand side)
http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

Now I wouldn't just focus on finding the lowest phosphorus food, there are other factors to consider. First and foremost is what your kitty is willing to eat. Also the quality of the ingredients, the amount and type of protein (lowest isn't best, and plant protein or by-products aren't great either). I think variety is important, so rotating several brands and flavours is a good idea. If your cat (what's her name, by the way?) has normal serum phosphorus levels, you may not need to limit the food phosphorus levels dramatically anyway (just keeping an eye on not feeding anything too high).

Is a raw diet an option? My cat has thrived on raw and will be turning 20 in a couple months, despite having diabetes for the last 10 yrs (which he got eating Science Diet kibble, I should add).

Quote:
she has been having problems jumping or even if she tries to run, her back end can't keep up with her.
She quite likely also has arthritis, as so many cats do over the age of 12. Is she on any kind of supplements? Glucosamine/chondroitin (such as Cosequin or Dasaquin), Adequan injections, MSM, Omega3 fish oil, green lipped mussel, etc, are some possibilities to consider.

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Test Results

Hemogram

Red Blood Cell Count 7.78
Hemoglobin 12.0
Hematocrit 29.4
Mean Corpuscular Volume 37.8
Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin 15.4
Mean Corpuscular Hgb Conc. n/a
Red Cel Distribution Width 18.7
Platelet Count *
White Blood Cell Count 7.6
Seg. Neutrophil Absolute # 4.71
Band Neutrophil Absolute # 0.00
Lymphocyte Absolute # 2.13
Act Lymphocyte Absolute # 0.00
Monocyte Absolute # 0.23
Eosinophil Absolute # 0.46
Basophil Absolute # 0.08
Other Absolute # 0.00
Blast Absolute # 0.00
Promyelocyte Absolute # 0.00
Myelocyte Absolute # 0.00
Metamylocyte Absolute # 0.00

Differential, Vet. (VDIF)

Segmented Neutrophils 62%
Lymphocytes 28%
Monocytes 3%
Eosinophils 6%
Basophils 1%

Animal Profile 1

Glucose 93mg/dL
AST(GOT) 43U/L
ALT(GPT) 108U/L
Alk.P.Tase 18U/L
Total Bilirubin 0.00mg/dL
Cholesterol 205mg/dL
Total Protein 8.6g/dL
Albumin 4.1g/dL
Globulin 4.5g/dL
Urea N 58mg/dL
Creatinine 24mg/dL
Phosphorus 4.4mg/dL
Calcium 11.2mg/dL
Sodium 152mmol/L
Potassium 4.8mmol/L
Chloride 113mmol/L
Bicarbonate 15mmol/L
Anion Gap 29mmol/L
GGT 1U/L
A/G Ratio 0.9
Urea/Creat Ratio 24
Sodium/Potassium Ratio 32

T4, Total (VT4)

T4-VET 1.6ug/dL

Notes:

1. Platelets are clumped but count appears to be 100-175 thousand.
2. No significant poikilocytosis or polychromasia seen.
No Mycoplasma haemofelis (formerly Hemobartonella felis) seen.
3. The sample is slightly hemolyzed. Lipemia and hemolysis may skew serum results.

Urinalysis

Color: Light Yellow
Spec. Grav: 1.015
Protein: Neg
WBCL None
Bacteria: None
Sugar: Neg
Ketones: Neg
Blood: Neg
Bile: Neg
Urobiliogen: Normal
pH: 5
ABC: None
Crystals: None

My cat's name is Tilly. She has always been over weight. Between 12-14 lbs all her adult life. She is normally an eager eater, and eats most of her food right away, or heads back soon to finish the rest. I resently started feeding her Nature's Variety Instincts Duck and Rabbit Varieties. She seems to like it better than the Purina NF. With Purina NF she wouldn't even come to the bowl when I would feed her. I would have to go get her and put her in front of the bowl. and even then she wouldn't eat but a little bit and then leave it to waste. She is currently down to 11 lbs. if not more. She was in to see the vet in August, and at that time weighed 12.5. When she went in a month ago She weighed in at 11. most of the weigh she has lost is along her spine and hip region. She does have hip issues as far as arthritis, but it has never hindered her in the past until this problem reared it's ugly head. Its only of the reasons I knew something was wrong. She has been acting lethargic and doesn't have much of an appetite or a lot of energy. She seems a little more excited about the Nature's Variety, but not like she used to. I feel like she is trying to tell me something is wrong. She just wants to sit in my lap and be held all the time (which I love) but it's not like her. Don't get me wrong, she is a very snuggly cat, but it's to the 10th degree. She won't be in any room without me. I just feel like she is trying to tell me she doesn't feel well. I read somewhere that you can give Pedialyte to give more electrolytes, so I thought I would try that. She is not on Cosequin, although she was in the past, it didn't seem to help her though. But that was when she was 12 or so. I haven't ever considered a raw diet, I don't know much about it, and I always thought it was too high in protein for an older cat. I guess I'm not sure how much of protein and other nutrients that she is supposed to get. I've read a lot of things on both sides of the fence. Some say more calories to help build muscle and keep on the weight. Others say less. I'm just so confused. I only want what's best for her. I've had her since I was 10 years old and she is my best friend. I appreciate all the help I can get!
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:30 PM

In the second link you provided, are those up to date? Because on the back of the can the Crude Protein is 10.0%, Phos. .20% and moisture is 75.0%
Which would make the dry matter for Protein 40.0%, Phos. .8%. Is that right? I kind of self taught and I guess I'm not sure if I am doing it right.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:34 AM

Unhappy Looking for a good Low Phosphorus food.

My Missy was diagnosed with CKD little over a weeks ago. Her doctor could only see one kidney by way of xray. She was very ill, so she spent 4 days hospitalized. During her stay she received fluids through IV. However, we could not get her to eat. They eventually syringed fed her. She looked so much better by day 2 of her stay. Upon her release her doctor recommended sub cutaneous fluid treatment twice a week and be placed a special diet and something to bind the phosphorous.

She's been home five days now and I cannot get her to eat. I've tried Prescription K/D and Felin Renal modified, in dry and wet formulas. The most I get her to do is a couple of licks of food. So, I've been giving her old food, which she eats only a few kibbles.

I don't know what to do. Can anyone recommend food low in phosphorous that cats seem to like.