Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old December 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Help!

I've got an orange cat, a big male by the looks of him, with a wickedly infected eye, camping out on my back porch. He's in pretty good shape except for his eye, but it needs to be treated. He would love to come inside, and I am very close to being able to get my hands on him, but there's no room at the inn.

Is there anybody who has a place for this fellow, or any kind of solution?
Attached Images

Old December 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

He's a beauty! See PM.
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

OH he's gorgeous!!!

IN the meantime, you can get a styrofoam cooler, tape the top on and turn it upside down. Cut hole for a door. Put something heavy on top. This will keep him warm.

I hope someone can help this guy. I"m also full up at the moment.
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Call Steri-Animal at 514-744-9107 - they specialize in this type of thing (trap, neuter, release) and can help you with capturing and treating the poor fellow.

We have rescued and treated a similar tom and his rescuer ended up adopting him. So there's hope for the big guy as well.
Attached Images

Old January 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,

Did you catch the orange cat?
Old January 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,please let us know what's going on with him:love:
Old January 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

No luck in catching him yet. I hesitate to use a trap - one failed attempt might run him off and then he wouldn't be getting his calories either. The eye is the same, no better no worse. Aaargh!! I've always prided myself on being a bit of a cat whisperer but this guy isn't hearing me yet.
But I'm not giving up!
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

A trap is the best way to catch him. Let him go hungry for a day, then put a can of salmon in the trap. Put some snow over the bottom wires, so he wont' even notice. You'll catch him and it's urgent you do, to get his eye looked at.
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Does anyone have a trap I can borrow? I don't mind lugging it home on public transport, if you are within reach, but I don't have a car. There's a foster home and vet treatment waiting for this guy. If he only knew it!
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

I used to have two traps, but they got lost after I lent them to someone - I don't mean I would not want to lend them to you, I just don't have them anymore !

I think I might know someone who has one in Montreal. If I get a hold of her, I'll PM you. Otherwise, I have a friend who has one, but she's a little far from you. I'll check if she's going to Mtl soon at all.

A suggestion to make sure you don't scare the Ginger man off:

Start right now by feeding him in the trap for a few days by blocking the trap door (see pic below). After he's used to being fed in there, set the trap for good and you'll have him.

Old January 21st, 2006, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Having you tried calling the SPCA to rent one? I don't know if this is possible, but it's worth a try.

Without it, you might never get this cat and with a foster waiting for him it would be a darn shame if he got killed on the street.

Don't worry about it scaring him off. I trapped my feral mommacat twice! When they're hungry enough, they'll go in!
Old January 21st, 2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Our HS,delivered a trap for me to catch my George,but he would not go in the cage,so after a few days I broke down and fed him.
Maybe George had previous experiences with cages
It is definetly the best and safest way to catch a cat,I wish your SPCA would cooperate more:sad:
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you some how get some antibiotics in him...WOuld your vet feel comfortable giving an unseen cat antibiotics. The eye looks terrible and it may not be savable but at least the infection might get cleared up. Pm me if you need anyhelp. I don't have a container but I might be able to help in other ways. One of the feral cats that I once caught used to trust me enough, eventually, to walk into my cat carrier to eat. One day I just closed the door and down to the vet he went...he was not happy, but atleast he got the care. Once he was released he stayed away for a few weeks and then finally came back...never did go back near the carrier though
Old January 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM
Sasha's Den Rescue

We really need to focus on catching him. We have a vet waiting for this guy, money to pay for his care, and whatever his temperament is, an adopter for him, so let's all send him "into the trap" vibes !!!

There are SPCAs who lend traps, and some rescue groups who have some too (Sphynx Project, Steri-Animal). I've PM'd Badger with a few contacts so she'll try them out. If anyone finds a trap in the meantime, let her know !
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes Iverness, this cat need to be caught ASAP, but I don't think there's anything wrong with giving him something for that eye. catching him may take more time and time may be running out for his eye. It just looks painful
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

The Bond Foundation knows people with traps, call them and maybe someone can lend you one. Also, Steri-animal has traps, I am seeing them tomorrow so I can ask.
Old January 21st, 2006, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

The worst part, for me, will be denying him food! He'll be starving! But I've got a big cat carrier, so I'll put it out there tomorrow morning and try to get him 'primed'. I have also contacted Steri-Animal about a trap.

Cpietra, I spoke to the vet about getting some meds into him right away, but he said even a one-time dose of oral antibiotics would be unlikely to help much. Personally I think it's probably herpes plus secondary infection but we'll have to wait on that. He may already be blind, poor thing. He's a skinny fellow too, but his coat isn't bad.
I just want him to be warm and safe.

Thanks everyone. We can get this done.
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger, if he comes around when your there use the cat carrier. Put food in there once or twice; getting him use to it and then try to be there when he gets in on the next meal time and just close the door. I really hope you can get him in...good luck....vibes are coming your way
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The worst part, for me, will be denying him food!
I know, but going hungry for one day is better than suffering and maybe dying outside.

As long as you keep feeding him, he'll never go in the trap.

You can try the cat carrier thing, but you better be very fast if you want to close and secure the door before he busts out.

For feral or terrified cats, especially big toms, traps are really the only safe option.
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

LR, you are right, You have to be very fast , my feral almost ramed right through the door. But if a trap is hard to come by maybe this may work especially if the cat feels comfortable around Badger. Just remember not to feel nervous...they seem to pick up on that very quickly.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:54 PM

Don't know what part of town you are in, but the Centre Canin du Suroit will lend out a trap. Also, I'm surprised that LR didn't give you JH's name and phone number - JH is part of CASCA and they deal with ferals.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger is in downtown Montreal. If she were anywhere near here, I would take her a trap myself.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Lucky: One of our volunteers lives in Hudson and works at the Old Port. I am 99.9% sure she would transport the trap for you. I will pm you with name and phone number.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm trying to find out if our trap is available right now. If it is, I'll take it myself if Badger can meet me at the Jolicoeur metro station.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger will probably have a cage by a rescue group in MOntreal. If that rescue group can't give her a cage by Wednesday, another group is willing to help. I believe Badger is ok for now.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great news,hopefully she can catch the poor little guy.
You guys are great,pulling together like this for a little wounded cat,sometimes I wish I lived in Montreal..but I probably would have a houseful of cats.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor

OH that's good news about the trap!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

GOT HIM!! He's going a little nuts, shut inside a large cat carrier in the bathtub. He went in there (the carrier) to eat, which he has been doing for the last couple of days, and I managed to shut the door on him.

Now the question is, do I let him out. There's a litterbox in there, and a heating pad, but one of my cats is absolutely mad to get at him and there would likely be serious confrontations under the door overnight, which will make him feel even more threatened and crazy. Plus the issue of getting him into another crate when he's picked up. I don't fancy getting bit.

Any ideas? I hate to leave him in there overnight. I think I'll just wait for a couple of hours to see if he settles down.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats . If the carrier is big enough for him to get up and walk around I would leave him in there. I assume it won't be for that long anyway. I would be afraid that the other cats might scratched under the door and you don't know how sick this cat is. Go in there and reasure him and give him some tuna ...my ferals loved it. If he's already in the carrier than you don't have to move him...one less stress on you both . Congrats again and I hope all goes well.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

He'll be in there at least overnight and perhaps until tomorrow evening. Seems a bit long to hold it.