Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 27th, 2004, 01:03 PM

Dogs from Mars/Cats from Venus - Can I ever live with my boyfriend??

Here's my problem. My lease runs out in June. My boyfriend and I would like to live together. He has a big house and THREE DOGS: 14-year-old Lhasa-Poo??, 9-year-old German Shepard, and 1-year-old Brussels Griffon.

I have three cats: two nine-year old girls and one five-year-old girl. My cats are indoor cats and have NEVER seen a dog.

I'm afraid his German Sherpard will take one look at my cats and see STEAK!

Does anyone know if it's possible to introduce these guys? I have several months to try and make something work, but I don't know where to begin. I've introduced cats to cats, but never cats to dogs.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

P.S. Either of us giving up our pets is absolutely out of the question.

THANKS!
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Does the GSD have a problem with cats now? Unless this dog has shown a propensity to attack cats in the past, don't do it the disservice of assuming that he is more likely to have a problem with your cats then the other two dogs.

Maybe your BF could bring his dogs to your place, one at a time, and see how the dogs react to the cats and vice versa.
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Just like you are supposed to bring home a new babies blanket to introduce to the dog. Try that with the cats stuff. Also I would suggest they meet in a nuetral location so it doesn't turn into territorial issue for the cat or dog.
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Maybe your BF could bring his dogs to your place, one at a time, and see how the dogs react to the cats and vice versa
That's the best way. The cats will be calmer on their own turf. Have the cats in a room with a baby gate up, and the dog on a leash. Start with the smallest and calmest dog. Just let him look at the cats and see what the reaction is. If the dogs don't know the "Leave it" command, this is the time to teach them.

Never try and introduce them face to face by holding any of the cats up to any dog.

If none of the dogs goes berserk or acts in a very predatory manner, this could work out. It will probably take a lot of time and patience for the cats to decide the dogs won't harm them. The cats will need their own room and introductions must be done very very slowly and carefully. With the small dogs, there is also the chance that one of the cats may attack it. Small dogs can be just as avid cat chasers as big dogs.

Never leave the cats loose with the dogs when you are out,even if they all seem to get along.
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. I have plenty of time to start bringing his dogs over and give the one-dog-at-a-time a try.

And, Sandi, I wasn't singling out the GSD. It's just that he's the more aggressive and protective of the three (and very large, with big teeth). I love all animals, but I've never owned, or really hung out with dogs until I met my BF. The Brussels puppy travels with my BF and seems to love and want to play with any animals he meets, so I was a little less concerned about him. The Lhasa is quite old, he's deaf, pretty much blind and doesn't get around very well, except to the food bowl and his bed, so I don't think he'll care too much.

I've already started swapping scents, bringing my cats brushes and such over to the boys and vise versa.

I'll keep you all posted as to my progress. THANKS AGAIN!
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Years ago, I babysat my pop's border collie. Tippy loved to chase cats. Not hurt them, just chase them. Anyhow, we let him know Puss-Puss was strictly off-limits. He would sit and look at her and tremble, but we told him "No!" if he started towards her. Puss-Puss, the heathen, knew she was untouchable! She stayed in the kitchen, arched her back Halloween-kitty style and tippy-toe glided across the floor with a hissy yowl on her face. Then she flopped on her back, exposed her stomach, and waved her feet at him, with the same expression. We were howling! And poor Tippy sat there and just shook! By the end of the week, Tippy learned to ignore her. He accepted that she belonged to the pack and left her alone. She remained leery and darted around, but I know she was enjoying teasing him. Cats and dogs can be wonderful together!
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

We had a cat that hated dogs, and within a month from getting it, it loved to curl up with our dog, all the time. It just took time.