Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 28th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Seatbelts for dogs

I was just looking at a thread under featured products. I saw the ruff rider, seat belt for dogs, and was wondering if anyone has tried these. Will it be better to use this while traveling long distances, in CAR, or will a small crate be better? The travel crate won't give our dog all that much space to stretch out. I want to know which I should buy for our upcoming move. The crate is going to be twice as much as the seatbelt deal, and wouldn't be as nice for him.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:28 AM

I have a seatbelt for my dog. The seatbelt is not only to protect my dog from flying out of the car in case of accident, but also to protect me from her: if we are in a car accident and she's in the backseat without seatbelt, she'll fly through the air and can kill/hurt me badly me because 17kg dog makes up a lot of speed when a car becomes to a sudden stop.

So, I'd go with a seatbelt, unless you can secure the crate somehow that it doesn't become airborne in a case of accident.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:30 AM

I don't know if the one we have is of the Ruff Rider brand, but we have a seatbelt harnass for Phoebe. It's great. We have her in the back of our smaller SUV, and there isn't enough room back there for a crate big enough for her. We just passed the middle seat belt through the split in the rear seats. She has enough freedom to stand up, turn around and get nice and comfy, but she can't really walk around (or get tossed around every time we take a corner or put on the brakes).
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

We never thought about the crate being secure, that would be kinda hard with the crate having to be big einough to hold a full grown lab.

Thanks, I just talked to my hubby, and he said he would be willing to get the seatbelt instead, Not only will it save $ but it is safer.
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi lilith_rizel,

I have seen and tried this product up close and it is FANTASTIC. It is extremely secure.

True this is a sponsored product but we only feature products that we have experience with.

Thanks
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a seat belt for our dog in the Jeep when the top is off. She doesn't mind it at all! It's made by DogIT!! There's great and very inexpensive ($25) Canadian - got mine at SuperPet!
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone. James and I are going to order one of those sealbelts soon. That way, we can get Cano used to it, before the 1300 mile trip to our new home. I was really hoping that I would find something else than a travel crate to buy for Cano, because the only one that would have fit in the car, wouldn't have let him turn around much, and probably would have left him feeling cramped. I am so glad that I found this site. It has been such a lifesaver, so many times.
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:50 PM

We also use a seatbelt and love it. Diamond's so used to putting her harness on and running to the CRV. Jumping up is still a problem though!

Ours is one we bought in the pet store (I can't remember the brand name) and it uses a standard clip to fit in the buckle. Best thing in the world for the dog's safety and ours!
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
banned user

Do these seatbelts adjust for size?

I dont want to have to get one for hannah now and then one for later as she grows..so do they adjust for size? Iam sure it would riding in the car much nicer for the dogs,as they arent being jostled around in the car

Cujo tho took up the whole back seat of our Vibe....
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Seatbelts for Dogs

I highly recommend the Ruff Rider Roadie seatbelt harness. I bought them for both my dogs about 6 months ago and they're extremely strong and well made. I did a lot of research before I bought them and one thing I found out is that they are the only dog seatbelt harness that has been officially crash tested. Please be careful when buying seatbelt harnesses for dogs. Some are nothing more than restraints and are not strong enough to keep the dog safe in an accident. About the sizing, this brand comes in specific sizes. My dogs are slightly different in size (they go by weight actually) but there's enough of a difference that I had to purchase a different size for each of them.
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Get the type of buckle that clips in like seat belts for people work. That combined with the huge caribeaner (sp?) type of clip really keeps the dog safe and secure.

The belt adjusts for length, so the dog is either clipped in close or has run of the entire car's back seat. Ours is long enough that she can move from window to window but not put her head out.
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

satchelp,
the ruffrider one is the one James and I are looking at purchasing for Cano. I am going to talk to James toinght and see if we have the money in our budget to get it this month, or if it will have to be gotten next month. But for $40, it is sure quite the deal. Alot better than paying $70 for a crate that will one time, and won't give him space to move around.
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:05 PM

I got a seatbelt for our pup at Zellers for only $ 20 - can't remember what the name brand was. Strong sturdy clips - one around her neck and another around her body with a big piece of padding down her chest with a detachable strap that buckles into a standard seatbelt. All straps are adjustable - comes in sizes, small, med & large. Took her a day or two to get used to it but now she doesn't mind it at all - just jumps in the backseat and sits nicely while I put it on.
I had bought a different harness from Petcetera for $ 40 but this one was much better, and half the price!
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:56 PM

I am going to drive my little kitty with me on a 9 hour car trip for the holidays. Must I keep her in a crate at all times? As far as the bathroom goes, how often should I stop and how can I get her to go? Do I take the whole litter box with me? Any pointers would be great!
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:52 PM

We use a harness with the Safety Clip for seat belt. It clips to his harness and double for belt to slip through, you can also adjust for height of dog. We bought the clip at PetSmart can't remember what brand it was 10$ Scottie wasn't too impressed at first but now is accustomed to it.