Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
under normal circumstances you would want to feed as much of a variety as your cat will tolerate to prevent allergies by challenging their immune system. i would think that would still apply to your situation. while the carbs in each of these are different, they are still considerably lower than cat food with grains in it.

-ash
Okay. So should I stick with one flavour then for a few weeks then? Growler says it doesn't matter?

I'm feeling pulled in two directions. lol
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
In others words, we can get 2 of each of the flavours I listed so he can try them all, and then just continue to buy the ones he really likes?

So I could feed him the turkey on Monday, Salmon on Tuesday, Beef on Wednesday etc., OR should I stick with just turkey for 2-3 days at a time and then give him something different?
You could do it either way, I wouldn't feed the same flavour more than 2 days in a row, he may get tired of it & not want to eat - 2 days same flavour is fine.

When you find the flavours he likes you can buy the bigger cans & portion freeze a day or two worth, it tends to be a bit cheaper that way

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM
-

Quote:
I'm feeling pulled in two directions. lol
oh gosh I know that feeling

I just read most of your thread and just wanted to say how I'm sorry for everything you're going through. :sad:

Speedy recovery to Snoopy and to you too
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks... I really needed a hug today...

And thanks also for sharing those pics with us... Snoopy and the girls are gorgeous!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Senior Contributor

For sure if Snoopy does fine with a wide variety of flavours, that would be the way to go. I made the mistake of buying a case of one flavour right at the beginning of our switch and after a couple of meals of the same thing, Aztec decided it wasn't as great as he first thought. I've since been trained to feed him a different flavour for each meal. Go by whatever Snoopy tolerates, he'll let you know.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
For sure if Snoopy does fine with a wide variety of flavours, that would be the way to go. I made the mistake of buying a case of one flavour right at the beginning of our switch and after a couple of meals of the same thing, Aztec decided it wasn't as great as he first thought. I've since been trained to feed him a different flavour for each meal. Go by whatever Snoopy tolerates, he'll let you know.

Thanks. I feel better now that I sent hubby to work this morning with a list of the 7 flavours and have requested he bring home 2 cans of each. I even added a note at the bottom of his list to look for the ones with the little yellow triangle that say 'Grain free'. And...just to be a jokster, I even coloured the triangle in yellow for him!

So, I will begin giving Snoopy (1) 5.5oz can twice a day. I'm interested to see which flavours will be his favourits.

Aztec is one smart kitty, didn't take him long to train his Mom! Way to go Aztec!!!
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
~Cat Servent~

Oh you're too cute! I send my hubby with a list that has pictures too.... lol. I find them on the internet and then put them beside each item on the list so he comes back with the right stuff!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

That's sooo funny,I do that too when hubby goes grocerie shopping,not from the internet,but I describe in detail what most items look like
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Oh you're too cute! I send my hubby with a list that has pictures too.... lol. I find them on the internet and then put them beside each item on the list so he comes back with the right stuff!

Well, when I became permanently injured 4 years ago, hubby and I had been married 25 years at the time and he had NEVER, EVER done the grocery shopping up to that time. I have not been able to grocery shop since so it was a rude awakening for him. lol The first few times I gave him the list, he came home with something like 50% of items we had NEVER used before. I wrote. For example: I'd write lettuce and he bring home romaine lettuce instead of iceberg. Our boys won't eat romaine so we've never, ever bought it. I asked him: "Why in the world would you bring THIS lettuce?" He responded" "You had lettuce on YOUR list!" "Yeah, I say ICEBURG lettuce, when have we ever eaten or bought ROMAINE??""! HAHAHAHAH

So, I've since gotten in the habit of writing brand name, sizes in both ml's and oz's, colours of packaging etc. Over the past 4 years, his shopping has definitelly improved but still brings home ODD items. I just shake my head, some men are just NOT cut out for grocery shopping. Even our boys will say: "Dad, why did you buy this? We never eat that!" and they too shake their heads. lol

Poor hubby, I'm picking on him and he's not home yet to defend himself because he's out cat food shopping!!!
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
That's sooo funny,I do that too when hubby goes grocerie shopping,not from the internet,but I describe in detail what most items look like
that is so funny! Read the reply I wrote to krdahmer. I think you and I should steal her GREAT idea of finding the items on the internet and putting them on the shopping list.

Isn't she a smarty pants!!

I'm sure my husband will be delighted to hear he's not the only and grocery shopper!
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Angry Snoopy Has a Question?

Dear Human Friends:

My Mom is starving me to death!!!! Every single time, no matter where I am in the house, I literally FLY when I hear anyone in my family stepping foot in the kitchen!

I run around their feet, meow and YOWL really loud because I'm hungry and want food!!!!! They either don't see me, hear me, trip over me, or they're just plain ignoring me which is RUDE but that's humans for ya.

My Mom is ONLY feeding me one lousy little can of food at 8 o'clock every morning, then sticks me with a needle. Then gives me another can of food at 8 o'clock every night and sticks me again! What does she think I'm living on between 8AM and 8PM??? Air??? I'm a I know but we get and too.

So, can SOMEONE please do (me) a favour and tell my Mom if she can feed me anything else inbetween? Like more food? A snack of some kind? Anything? Or is that going to screw up my insulin? :sad:

I'm beginning to think you humans are You eat when YOU want, why can't I????

Meow,
Snoopy
Old February 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, Snoopy, you poor starving thing you. It sucks not having opposable thumbs, doesn't it? Tell you what, I'll let your momma know that it's okay if you have some snacks. They have to be healthy snacks though, no Pounce treats or the like. Maybe a tablespoon or 2 of some more canned food to tide you over until din-din? Some plain chicken (raw or lightly boiled/broiled) would also be pretty tasty, I bet. Since the insulin you're on tends to be fairly "flat" (as in it doesn't typically give a steep drop in bg like some of the other insulins) as well as long-lasting, it's not as critical that food only be given at shot-time. Your vet may not completely agree, but sheesh, he's not the one starving to death! Tell him to try going from 8am to 8pm without any snacks!!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 8th, 2008, 09:09 PM

I LOVE YOU Sugarcat Mom!

Quote:
OMG, Snoopy, you poor starving thing you. It sucks not having opposable thumbs, doesn't it? Tell you what, I'll let your momma know that it's okay if you have some snacks. They have to be healthy snacks though, no Pounce treats or the like. Maybe a tablespoon or 2 of some more canned food to tide you over until din-din? Some plain chicken (raw or lightly boiled/broiled) would also be pretty tasty, I bet. Since the insulin you're on tends to be fairly "flat" (as in it doesn't typically give a steep drop in bg like some of the other insulins) as well as long-lasting, it's not as critical that food only be given at shot-time. Your vet may not completely agree, but sheesh, he's not the one starving to death! Tell him to try going from 8am to 8pm without any snacks!!
I'm completely now Sugarcatmom! Um, are you SugarcatMom because you feed my cousin Aztec SWEETS? Can I spend the weekend?

Took me forever to get my Mom's attention to get over here to her laptop, I can only keep 'clicking' the pad so many times to keep the page on the screen! Sheesh.....

She's finally read your message and says she WILL give me a couple teaspoons of food during the day between feeds and if she has some baked chicken leftover in the fridge, she'll give me some of that too!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU for getting through to my Mother!

By the way, my Dad came home with 14 cans of food for me tonight. Wellness Brand, Grain Free and 7 different flavours AND TWO, did ya hear me, TWO cans of each to try. I know I'm gonna like 'em all. I had the chicken flavour for dinner tonight and ate every last morsel. I think I even licked the smell from the dish too! In the morning I'm getting Shrimp, I pawed it out to Mom so she'll know! I may not have opposable thumbs, but do well with my

Oh, my Mom says "hi".

Thanks sugarcatmom...I really do LOVE YOU! And I heard my Mom telling my Dad that she thinks your awesome! Oh, and...DAD is even reading all the papers she printed out from all the weblinks you and the other humans can her. Dad says: "Are you kidding me! This information is FANTASTIC and I feel a whole lot better about Snoop now!" They think I don't understand human language!

Meow,
Snoopy

P.S. I think my two sisters are getting jealous of all the attention I'm getting.
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Shabby's Pets!

Hi Friends:

Just wanted to let you all know I've just posted 5 photos of "my girls" and Snoopy. Two separate postings in the pet photograpy section...the 1st has 3photos and the 2nd 2 photos!

Enjoy!
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh got to run over there
Old February 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Oh,Oh got to run over there
Did ya get there?
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah,had to take the car though,my"running" days are over
Beautiful GSD's and Snoopy,adorable!
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah,had to take the car though,my"running" days are over
Beautiful GSD's and Snoopy,adorable!
Glad ya made it!

Thanks for the endearing comments on all my fur babes.
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Update on Snoopy

Snoopy was at the vet's yesterday for a check. Initially, as you know, we were giving him 2 units of insulin twice a day. The vet has now asked us to raise it to 3 units a day. And...he has gained 1/2 pound in a week!!!! The vet was very excited about that.

By the way, when we bought the 7 different flavours of the 'Wellness' grain free food for him, we thought there might be one he wouldn't like. However, that has turned out to be a non-issue. Snoopy devours ALL the flavours!

Cheers to you all!
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Kitty pimp

thats great news thanks
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Snoopy was at the vet's yesterday for a check. Initially, as you know, we were giving him 2 units of insulin twice a day. The vet has now asked us to raise it to 3 units a day. And...he has gained 1/2 pound in a week!!!! The vet was very excited about that.

By the way, when we bought the 7 different flavours of the 'Wellness' grain free food for him, we thought there might be one he wouldn't like. However, that has turned out to be a non-issue. Snoopy devours ALL the flavours!

Cheers to you all!
Yay for the weight gain!! That's a very good sign. I'm a little concerned about raising the dose that much though. Even a half unit can make a big difference when your dealing with such small amounts of insulin to begin with. Do you know what kind of bg numbers the vet is getting? Do you have any half-unit syringes so that you could give 2.5u instead? Not to override your vet's input, but it does seem to be a common theme with them to raise doses too fast. If you can still manage to pick up a glucometer and do some testing yourself, I wouldn't be so worried. But for instance, my cat, at a wopping 15lbs, is wonderfully regulated on just 1.5u of insulin twice a day. If I'd started him at 2u, I would have already missed the mark.

Old February 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

Way to go Snoopy!

Old February 12th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad to hear he's gained some weight! And that he loves the flavors!

Way to go Snoopy!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

That's just great Snoopy,you go boy and gain some more weight...you don't know it,but those nasty needles will make you feel like a kitten again
Also tell mom to boil a chicken-breast,my boys love it more for treats,than anything else
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:29 PM
-

Good boy, Snoopy, making your mom so happy. Glad to hear he gained some weight and likes the Wellness food.

I hope you get his insulin dosage sorted out.
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
thats great news thanks

Thank YOU! And...it is definitely good news!!!
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Yay for the weight gain!! That's a very good sign. I'm a little concerned about raising the dose that much though. Even a half unit can make a big difference when your dealing with such small amounts of insulin to begin with. Do you know what kind of bg numbers the vet is getting? Do you have any half-unit syringes so that you could give 2.5u instead? Not to override your vet's input, but it does seem to be a common theme with them to raise doses too fast. If you can still manage to pick up a glucometer and do some testing yourself, I wouldn't be so worried. But for instance, my cat, at a wopping 15lbs, is wonderfully regulated on just 1.5u of insulin twice a day. If I'd started him at 2u, I would have already missed the mark.

The weight gain is a GOOD sign! Hubby said the vet told him Snoopy's BG was 14 point something. I will call the vet myself tomorrow and ask "specifically" and let you know. I was going to call myself today but he's not in on Tuesday's and I didn't want to speak to the other vet there who has NOT dealt with Snoopy.

The syringes I have do NOT have half-units...I was actually phoning around this afternoon inquiring at various pharmacies if they carried them. I'm housebound so cannot go to pick up a glucometer myself. I have to wait for hubby who has been swamped at work. He said he'll get one on Sunday (his only day off...he works 6 days a week). I could still give Snoop the 2.5 using the syringes I have for now. He's already had his insulin for tonight anyway but I won't try doing that until I hear back from you whether that is a good idea or not to guess at 2.5?

How are your babies doing? And...thank you AGAIN for sharing your knowledge with me and for being concerned enough to care!!! You are one in a million.
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Way to go Snoopy!

It's me Snoopy!!!!! T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! I'm vey proud of myself.
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I'm so glad to hear he's gained some weight! And that he loves the flavors!

Way to go Snoopy!
I'm excited too! The food...oh my, you should see him chow down on that stuff...he's inhales it faster than the vacuum cleaner could suck it out of the bowl!!
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
That's just great Snoopy,you go boy and gain some more weight...you don't know it,but those nasty needles will make you feel like a kitten again
Also tell mom to boil a chicken-breast,my boys love it more for treats,than anything else
Ohhh Chico...hang on a sec, I'm calling my Mom over to see THIS message!!!! Plug your ears, I gotta yell to her: "M-e-e-e-o-o-owww, Mom".

"Snoopy, Snoopy what's wrong?"

"Look, look, look, chico says I'm gonna be a kitten again! And..."Look Mom, she said you HAVE TO bake me some chicken-breast for a treat!" Oiyva, this is MY day!! Here's my signature for the sign up sheet for REAL chicken breast. for the inside info. Ahhhh, I can go to bed truly happy tonight!

Night chicken breast chicken breast chicen "SNOOPY! GO TO SLEEP WIL YA?"