Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Question HELP-Huge Project-GAS CHAMBERS IN CANADA

After extracting animals from pounds that kill using the gas chamber as a 'method' to exterminate - I have decided to do something about this. I need statitics from every province on how many pounds cover the province and what methods of euthanisia they are using. Also important is what pounds are covering what municipalities. It appears that the authorities do not want to divulge this information - or they just do not have it because they just do not care. I do and so should we all.

Please stand next to me on this project. I plan on exposing this to the media and will plea to the government. Enough of grumbling about this, it's time to take action. I rather go in with data then sit on my hands.

Can anyone assist in this matter in the name of our animals?

Thank you.
BenMax
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't forget - if you loose your pet, he/she may fall into the hands of these pounds. Your pet can be gassed or sold for research.

As little or as much as you can offer me would be appreciated. Since you are all anonymous, your names will never be used.

Don't be afraid to give me the ammunition to do something about this.
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't think they still used chambers in any part of ontario, I know ours was shut down decades ago, geesh I had to be about 10 or 11 when Skinny Lascelle was closed up and the spca moved in.
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I didn't think they still used chambers in any part of ontario, I know ours was shut down decades ago, geesh I had to be about 10 or 11 when Skinny Lascelle was closed up and the spca moved in.
We thought the same here Melinda - they still use them. Can you try and find out anything for Ontario?
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM

I also thought that was out dated and they don't use them anymore.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
We thought the same here Melinda - they still use them. Can you try and find out anything for Ontario?
I'll try and find out what I can BenMax, not quite sure who to approach on this, I guess first I'll start with the OSPCA and go from there.

Afterthought, I know the spca don't, but they might be aware if any do.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I'll try and find out what I can BenMax, not quite sure who to approach on this, I guess first I'll start with the OSPCA and go from there.

Afterthought, I know the spca don't, but they might be aware if any do.
Checked and they do not. I am shaking some cages right now. I am sick to my stomach.

Thank you so much for asking Chris. Any information will help. Anything.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhip View Post
I also thought that was out dated and they don't use them anymore.
They do here in Quebec! And it is 'accepted'!!!!
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM

I'm with you all the way. We really need to stop this horrific, outdated method of euthanization.

What can I do to help?

Would kill-shelters offer this information with a simple phonecall?
Or would an in person visit be more effective?

I will do anything possible to help you with this, BenMax.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog22 View Post
I'm with you all the way. We really need to stop this horrific, outdated method of euthanization.

What can I do to help?

Would kill-shelters offer this information with a simple phonecall?
Or would an in person visit be more effective?

I will do anything possible to help you with this, BenMax.
Blackdog22 - the pounds may or may not give this information. This is what I have done:

I call the pound and say I lost an animal. I tell them I lost the cat 2 weeks ago. They then tell me that they only hold for 3 days. I then say "so after 3 days is the cat put up for adoption or is he gassed?" They will then tell you or say that they do not gas they euthanize humainly using needle - if not ask them the method that your 'cat' may have suffered....get my line of questioning?

Or - you can call your municipality and ask them the question. Who is the animal control and what type of method of euthanisia that they use. You can take it one step further and ask if these animals can be sold to laboratories......they know the truth and you as a citizen is entitled to know.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

HI Benmax, I can help you to spread the word about your project. I think it's a great project. I don't log onto pets.ca all that often anymore, if you need me, you know how to reach me. Thanks.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post
HI Benmax, I can help you to spread the word about your project. I think it's a great project. I don't log onto pets.ca all that often anymore, if you need me, you know how to reach me. Thanks.
Please Poodletalk - ask your contacts - I know they are reliable (as you are) and they might be able to help me. I plan on working very hard on this and I will present to the media. Anything can help. This is disgusting and I am not letting this go....something must be done.

Thanks Poodletalk - we will talk.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

cornwall doesn't use it, Ottawa doesn't use it and I also called the malone usa one and they don't
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Benmax..I will see what I can do as well. I will ask around.

Who do these pound managers/ owners have to answer to in terms of method and who comes in to investigate to make sure everything is up and up...and if gassing is allowed in Quebec why not go directly to the persons who said it was legal....I know I may not be street smart when it comes to this but don't these people get audited like other business to make sure they don't break rules. Who watches over them? who gives them a license to kill??? These may be stupid questions but if anyone can anwer any of them then I can at least know where to start.....or is that stupid too...

Can tax payers be told how their lost pets are killed? Can we write an article?
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

cpietra, its the question of money, it costs roughly 15 dollars to give an animal an injection where as they can put mulitple animals in a gas chamber so I'd say it would be the city who'd have the final say
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I knew it had to do with money, but I'm sure tax payers would never stand by knowing how there missing pet may be gassed if not claimed in 3 days...I went thru this in Lachine just recently...noone seems to know where the cats go once they are pciked up or what happens to them. I think education is a good way to go. Educate people....but that is my 2 cents.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Hi Benmax..I will see what I can do as well. I will ask around.

Who do these pound managers/ owners have to answer to in terms of method and who comes in to investigate to make sure everything is up and up...and if gassing is allowed in Quebec why not go directly to the persons who said it was legal....I know I may not be street smart when it comes to this but don't these people get audited like other business to make sure they don't break rules. Who watches over them? who gives them a license to kill??? These may be stupid questions but if anyone can anwer any of them then I can at least know where to start.....or is that stupid too...

Can tax payers be told how their lost pets are killed? Can we write an article?
The law says it is legal. All these questions I am trying to get, with more questions regarding much more. (I'll get into that later). Also, need the meat to get to the media....I want to be equipped.
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Our SPCA turned into the humane society, which is trying to be no-kill for adoptable animals. No idea what they do to the unadoptable ones.Well I know, but I dont know the specifics.
The city pound turns animals over to the humane society.
(I'm in Edmonton)
At least that is what they tell us. My adoptee was a stray, that the pound turned over to the humane society.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
Our SPCA turned into the humane society, which is trying to be no-kill for adoptable animals. No idea what they do to the unadoptable ones.Well I know, but I dont know the specifics.
The city pound turns animals over to the humane society.
(I'm in Edmonton)
At least that is what they tell us. My adoptee was a stray, that the pound turned over to the humane society.
Thank you for the information. I will know where to start with this. I appreciate you advising me.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,you go girl!
I really don't know of any shelter that gasses,but I only know about Oakville,Burlington and Hamilton HS,Mississauga had a high-kill shelter,but they are now going towards no-kill,at least that's what I've heard.

I remember a long time ago,we had the most horrid pic here,of a huge pile of dead dogs,who had been gassed,the image stayed with me for a long time:sad:but I don't remember where it was from.
This is absolutely something that should be told to people all over Canada,but how??

Maybe after you collect enough info,if someone has a connection with any media,be it TV or Newspapers,they would be interested in showing or printing the whole horrid story.

There has been a lot about dogs/cats in the media lately,just Saturday I watch a program about a huge Puppy-Mill in the US.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

chico, my dad once called the cops on the pound owner here, I was about 8 and we went to the city dump with junk, there was a pile of about 10 dead dogs, a couple were still moving but couldn't be saved, a vet came out and euthanized them, seems the owner of the pound was being stingy on the gas. It was removed from his hands that week and the gas chamber discountinued
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

ben max I read a rescues page , always looking at dogs *L* gerdys I think it was, it that the dogs that were pulled?? man, that blonde setter/retriver is gorgeous! Wish my daughter was in a better set up right now.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Gas Chambers

Hi BenMax,
I am new to this website; however,I came across this forum while searching for information about gas chambers in Canada.
My mother was recently looking to adopt a dog. She found 2 dogs that were saved from being gassed. The Rescue told her that apparently the city, not sure which one, (she lives near Montreal, Quebec) pays people 35$ a head to euthanize strays. Apparently, the strays are to be kept alive for 3 days before being put down; however, the lady that was gassing the dogs was driving 40 miles away from her house to find these strays...Also, she was not waiting the 3 days!! Apparently there is an investigation going on, but I have not heard anything else yet.
I am very interested in the project you have going on. I would like to take part in it. I was planning to do something myself.
I live in Mississauga. Please contact me.
Thank you.
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLucky View Post
Hi BenMax,
I am new to this website; however,I came across this forum while searching for information about gas chambers in Canada.
My mother was recently looking to adopt a dog. She found 2 dogs that were saved from being gassed. The Rescue told her that apparently the city, not sure which one, (she lives near Montreal, Quebec) pays people 35$ a head to euthanize strays. Apparently, the strays are to be kept alive for 3 days before being put down; however, the lady that was gassing the dogs was driving 40 miles away from her house to find these strays...Also, she was not waiting the 3 days!! Apparently there is an investigation going on, but I have not heard anything else yet.
I am very interested in the project you have going on. I would like to take part in it. I was planning to do something myself.
I live in Mississauga. Please contact me.
Thank you.
The information that you have received is 100% accurate. I think we are talking about the same place. There have been new developments ...and they are not good. I am continuing to pursue this as no one, nor any 'authority' seems interested in this matter. Something needs to happen and I thank you for your offer. Please get permission from Marco to have access to your PM. We can communicate because I can use as much help as possible with this.

I thank you for your interest in this matter. BTW - I found out in Ontario they also have pounds that are gassing. This is not unique to Quebec only. The more you start scratching the surface, the uglier things are getting.

I will at the very least start a petition. Since the new developement received I need to act immediately. This will not save the dogs and cats in there today or tomorrow but at the very least the ball will start rolling.
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

BTW - this pound has 32 municipal contracts from what I have found out. Approximately 10 dogs are received a day (cats I cannot even imagine). I cannot imagine how many are killed per day/week as they have room for approximately 40-50 dogs. Puppies are together either in a crate or bunched up in cement prison and gassed together with the bigger dogs. The dogs fight and then the gassing starts. Some animals are ripped apart during the ordeal by other dogs. I must tell you that this is LEGAL!!! This is the problem.
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:19 PM

BenMax I'm with you 100% let me know what you need. I think this is horrible and it needs to be stopped. I will help you anyway I can. Go GIRL!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you so very much Totallyhip. Right now I am going back and forth with the 'authority' here in order to get information. I am compiling as much data as possible, however this is very difficult information to get. Those that have the mandate do not seem to have answers to my questions which I find facinating since they are the enforcers. They are bouncing me all over the place but I will continue to persist.

One very important question I have is as follows:

Once an animal has been gassed, is there a vet on the premises that physically checks to ensure that the animal is deceased? To date - no answer

This is only one of many questions that I have.

I am starting with Quebec and I will then move onto other provinces. I hope that you all understand. Or better yet - if you live in another province, please find out as much as possible. If we can each cover all provinces then we will be in a great position to compile our data and then present it to the governement. What do you think?
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM

Ben
since you originally posted this thread, the Edmonton Humane Society and the Edm Pound have admitted to euthanizing animals, though they did not say how. Sounds like they do a few thousand cats and dogs per year..sigh.
But the EHS is alwasy full, if they could adopt out more animals they would. Sad as it seems,I believe humans are a bigger issue (not fixing their dogs) than the EHS or the pound.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Compromised account

BenMax, I am behind you 100%! This is a terrible way to die and the fact that people get rich doing it - I don't even know where to begin...

Anything you need that I can help with - please don't hesitate to let me know.
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi
When I worked in the Chatham Humane Society in Ontario back in 1977 or 78 they used a box that sucked out the air for small animals. I didn't know that and I quit shortly after finding it out! When I think about it now it still makes me ill.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)