Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM

cloudy eye in a kitten

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and have a question about a kitten with cloudy eyes.
She is female and has had cloudy eyes since before i found her. Her mother is a semi feral cat with chlyamidia. This kitten has also had breathing difficulties since i've known her. For that, I treat her with antibiotics which help, but never seem to resolve the problem. I decided this time to keep giving her antibiotics untill it clears up. So far it's been 2 weeks and she is a bit better, but still not resolved. It takes her a lot of effort to breathe most of the time, but she never seems distressed about it. i have noticed, that her cloudy eyes don't seem so cloudy now and am wondering if it is some sort of bacterial infection that is responding to the longer course of antibiotics? I am dosing at 12.5mg per kg (amoxycillin). She is not quite 1kg. I have also noticed that she has started to behave like a normal kitten now too. before she just wandered around or slept. She was never seen playing, but now she has just 'come to life'.
I actually look after 23 semi-feral Cats & kittens, most of which, we inherited when we purchased our property. Most kittens born do have sticky eyes, which i usually deal with asap to resolve problems early, but this one was discovered at about 5-6 weeks old and already had problems.
I am able to deal with most problems without the need for costly vet visits. As you can imagine, 23 cats and kittens would be very costly if we took them to the vets at every problem. I would just like to know if there are any problems associated with long term antibiotic use in cats? At the moment, I am judging it on a daily basis, and the fact that things are improving for this kitten, I am inclined to continue the treatment for longer.
Thankyou for reading
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Umm...what are u giving them for antibiotics? Could be cataracts? or this is a anwser from a vet on here, pertaining to another member back in 2004..concerned with cloudy eyes in their cat:

The cornea may be damaged (feline herpes--not contageous to people--trauma, bacterial/other viral infections, congenital anomaly, etc.) or the pupil (uveitis) may be involved. It can be Feline leukemia virus, feline immunodeficiency virus, feline infectious peritonitis, toxoplasma, etc. It is time to run a few tests to determine the source and cause.

Depending on the cause, treatment may or may not be effective. Unfortunately, I can not determine this without actually examining your pet, so please see your veterinarian.

Dr. Van Lienden

Sorry i don't mean to be rude, but i am concerned with you just taking issues into your own hands and treating...when you don't even know WHAT is wrong. You could be doing MORE HARM then good in the end. Please take the kitten to a vet!!!!!
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Thankyou for the advice.

I did mention the antibiotics were given for respiratory problems that this kitten has suffered with since we found her.

I also have 22 other cats & kittens which I inherited when I brought my home. I cannot afford to take each one to the vets for every problem. If I wasn't a kind person, I would not bother feeding, worming & de-fleaing cats etc that were not mine. I didn't ask for them, but am trying my hardest to do the right thing for ALL of them.

If I hadn't intervened with this one, she'd already be dead. That is not an exaggeration.

All of the cats & kittens are in great condition now. When we first saw them they all were a mess. Fur falling out, drooling, riddled with fleas & worms and in bad health.

If this kitten was in pain or suffering in any way that I knew of, I would take her to see the vet. But she isn't.

I am not stupid, I am realistic.

I hope you don't think I'm being rude, I just thought I should share some more information to help you understand my situation.

Again, thanks for reading.
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank goodness for all these cats and kittens you have saved.
Though I do understand your situation, I also totally agree with NoahGrey in the sense that treating something we do not know about can actually do more harm than the actual intent.
I have no advice to give but I wish the kitten luck and good health.
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM

Well, you might be pleased to know that I took the kitten to the vet.
I explained the treatment I had given her and he seemed a bit surprised that Amoxycillin hadn't been effective. He put her on some injectable antibiotics (i think), and anti-inflammatory injections, which he gave to me to inject daily for 5 days, when, he wanted to see her again after the injections.
She showed a very small improvement but barely noticable. He decided to change the treatment and omit the anti-inflammatory, so I am injecting her daily with this (not sure what it is) and he wants to see her again on Monday. He also gave me some 'lysinviral gel' (for FHV) & 'oxyspeed gel' (to help build her up).I am also having to take her into the bathroom when I shower so the vapour can help relieve her 'stuffy nose'. Again there is little improvement. So, it seems I'm not the only one who doesn't really know what they're treating. I will keep on doing what the vet has instructed and I hope that he will soon find a treatment that helps her.
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM

Thank You for all the caring and work you do with the stray kitties and cats, without you many would probably be dead. You devote more time, and probably more money, to strays than a lot of people do to their own pets. I hope the little guys eye continues to improve, please keep up the good work, you sound like you know your stuff.
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:29 PM

The cat likely has a trauma associated infection or is a result of the chlamydia from momma cat. Luckily, both can be treated with the same thing-- antibacterial eye drops-- tetracycline. I'm surprised the Vet didn't try the drops first; the infection may be isolated to the cornea. and since kitty is already on systemic antibiotics its the only thing that makes sense.
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:37 AM

best to help

Hi

I totally understand your want to help those cats that ''came with the house you got''.

It is a very noble thing you are doing.

Sometimes, we can only try to help them the best we can, with limited financial resources.
I was taking care of feral cats in the alley where I use to live.
Some of them came to my door with serious problems...

I don't know what area you live in, but it is always a good option to have an honest and direct talk with your vet about the situation; that you want to help the feral cats, but don't have that much money to spend.

if your vet is not inclined to help out for minimal fees, maybe another vet would be, it is worth looking into.

Some areas have universities where vet students can perhaps help out, you may look up this option if it applies.
Some students may be happy to help out, and at the same time add this humane cause to their credentials...
The internet can be a great source of info for this.

Sometimes, vets can be very understanding about these situations, and give you discounts for the fees.

It is also possible that some non profit organisations in your area that take care of cats could help out for spay/neuter, and other health issues.

Best of luck with the little one!

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat