Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 26th, 2008, 02:22 PM
~Cat Servent~

Holy cow... I may have just adopted a dog!

Actually I am pretty sure we have.... and bought a mini-van and a garage full of tools.... it's been an exciting day to say the least!

Our next door neighbours are moving out west, all of a sudden, leaving in the next week. They are selling everything (thus the new mini-van an '03 Montana, and the garage full of tools). The sad thing is they want to leave their 2 yr old golden Copper (I am trying to convince them to take him as I think he will be very sad if left behind, even if he does have a loving home here). I have a pic of him, I'll add it here, he was my shoveller's helper if you remember. He is intact, and that will be the first thing we take care of (he has his 'papers' or whatever as they were considering breeding him, which we will NOT do), along with flea treatments before he comes in. (I'm a little nervous about Fagan and the cats and.... I'm in a bit of a whirlwind here, I've never had a dog before.) Chase is thinking he will probably take him in the truck with him until we have a larger house as this one along with 6 cats is way too small for a dog that size to be in all the time. So weekends should be interesting! I have to admit I am kind of excited about having a dog to walk when he's home... just imagine me with Buddy in the cat stroller and a big golden to boot! Now that's my kind of exersise!!

Anyhow I just wanted to give all you doggy people fair warning.... I am gonna have a gazillion questions if we do end up taking in Copper!!!

Chase is all gung ho about having a dog.... I'm a little on the fence and nervous about the whole thing. And of course when I told my dad, his first response was about how much money it'll cost to have a dog and that we already have too many pets.... which so did not help my being on the fence!
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
-

omg omg !!!! krdahmer , goldens are such nice dogs !!!! go for it go for it !!!! just kidding , I would never pressure anyone into adoption.

Is this dog ok with cats ? Are your cats ever been in contact with a dog ?
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

That is great and I agree with Frenchy no pressure it has to be right for you. As long as he does not have a high prey drive he will probably learn to get along with the cats after he gets a few swipes across the nose. Every dog is different Boo would kill a cat if given the chance, Buddy only wanted to be friends with them so it can work.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Flyball Mom

LOL Seems to be the week for adoptions.

Good luck.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
omg omg !!!! krdahmer , goldens are such nice dogs !!!! go for it go for it !!!!

(not that you would be in any way biased on this one... )

Is this dog ok with cats ? Are your cats ever been in contact with a dog ?
I'm not sure, that's why I'm nervous, he's never been around cats and my cats have never been anywhere near a dog... I'm hoping that might work to our advantage as in they may not know what to think and be curious instead of terrified... it's not a for sure thing yet... but it's starting to look that way. Chase has had lots of dogs, he grew up on a farm with all kinds of animals, so he's not worried at all. He is a big love bug... (in fact today he licked me right in the mouth!) but a little hyper and needs some training for sure (jumps on people...chews everything). I was sitting outside and he was tied in the yard next door.... and he was watching me... I just don't think I could say no to that face! I'll sneak some more pics later and show you what I mean!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it sounds like your place would be a lot better than where he is now. Worse case senario, if you do take him and it does not work out at least you will do the right thing and give him to a rescue. I know this is not what you want for the dog but it better than seeing him listed as free dog to good home. I think that may be his fate where he is now
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM
~Cat Servent~

The neighbours treat him well, and they really do love him, they are just a little lax with the training. He is never tied up for long outside, it's the only way he can be out without them though because both our yards are not fenced in. And yes, if it didn't work out here I would be sure to find him a really great home through a rescue or to someone I knew and trusted.

Old April 26th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,not to discourage you or anything,but you are really brave,my cats would go bonkers.
I am sure though if you decide to keep this beauty,you'll have lots of help here learning the dog/cat training.Good Luck
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

and mf!
You are amazing I tell you!
You have 6 kitties and now you want a pup too. And I thought I was the only bonkers one.
Let me tell you.... Keesha hated cats. She barely tolerated Sam being in the house without a gate between them. Now they share the plate cleaning duties after supper almost every night. Cats AND dogs. It's amazing to watch.
I am not pushing you toward the adoption. Just letting you know all things are possible if you do decide. and

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
-

I hope this works out for you and Chase.

It's sad to believe that your neighbours want to leave Copper behind :sad: but from the way you describe his situation it actually sounds like it's for the best.

You are a great cat mom and since Chase has had lots of dogs then hopefully things will go smoothly for you and work out as well as they did for 14+kitties.
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

WooooHoooo!

I think that's great, krdahmer! Copper sure looks like a sweetie! that the kitties think so, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Oh my gosh...TAKE THE DOG!!!! You will LOVE him!!!

They are such gentle, precious breeds that he'll settle in with you and your other 'fur family' quite well, I believe. Sure, he'll most likely pine a bit the first few days when he realizes his other owners are gone, but I have every confidence with your gentle nature and love of aniamls, Cooper will think he's died and gone to heaven!!!

Yeee-hawwwwww, good for you!!!!!

Shabby
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
-

If you decide to not adopt him or if you do and it doesn't work out with the cats , I know someone with the Ontario Golden Rescue , I know they would take him.

IF this dog needs a rescue.
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

congrats krdhamer!! that really is exciting!

However i would expect not so pleasant reaction from kitties for them being BFF from the start but like chico said you are brave

that being said im sure u will be just fine! i cant wait for pics

what a lucky boy he is.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks Frenchy, that is good to know, because if he ends up not getting along with the kitties or is too aggressive with them, I have to put them first.

She brought over his papers tonight, both his parents are registered with the CKC and there was something there about them both not having HD problems.... although not being a dog person it was all kind of gobbily gook to me... My main concern is that he is liscenced and up to date on shots, which so far I don't think either... They are going to try to contact the vet they went to last in St. Catherines on monday to get me more info and I will probably just call my vet anyhow and see if they can squeeze him in mon or tues so that Chase can take him out on the road until I figure some stuff out for the house and schedule his neuter etc. He is microchipped also.

Chase was talking about well I can't think of the proper way to say it but 'pimping' him out.... man did I quash that idea but quick! Chase was saying how he's purebred and that we could make some money.... and I promptly reminded him of how many 'purebred' pups are sitting behind bars as we speak!!! And that there was no way I would be helping take 4,5, or 6 homes away from them!!!

Old April 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
T if it didn't work out here I would be sure to find him a really great home through a rescue or to someone I knew and trusted.
Molly wants to make sure you have my contact info... (she thinks Copper is pretty dreamy sounding - she really wants a "friend" but mean ol' mom has said "no" sooooooo far)

Quote:
Chase was talking about well I can't think of the proper way to say it but 'pimping' him out.... man did I quash that idea but quick! Chase was saying how he's purebred and that we could make some money....
Thankfully you got that idea out of his head
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, congratulations! I have to say, I've been thinking about getting a dog too, but I just would prefer having a small yard, as I think 4 cats and a dog would make this apartment a bit crowded.

I know you said they love him, but why are they leaving him then? If they wind up taking him, who's to say they don't unload him over at the new place? At least you can give it a try and if it doesn't work out, I know you'll do your best to find him a loving home.

He's a gorgeous dog. I hope your gang doesn't get too freaked out. That would be my fear too. Good luck! I'll be following your progress!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM
~Cat Servent~

Well they were going to put him up on Kijiji (like they did with all their other stuff... sold the entire house contents for $2500).... probably free to good home, so I offered first. At least then he'll get a good home for sure, and not go to some psychos or someone who just wants to make a few bucks off him and then dump him at the HS! I'm pretty glad I talked Chase into grabbing the van too.... we're gonna need it for vet visits now with this crew! Just me and a mini van full of critters!

Old April 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Chase was talking about well I can't think of the proper way to say it but 'pimping' him out.... man did I quash that idea but quick! Chase was saying how he's purebred and that we could make some money.... and I promptly reminded him of how many 'purebred' pups are sitting behind bars as we speak!!! And that there was no way I would be helping take 4,5, or 6 homes away from them!!!
Pimping out your male dog is not as simple as it sounds. While it is great that he is registered and his parents had their hips certified (is there an OFA# listed?) unless you have his hips certified and show him to a Championship, you aren't going to get many offers worth anything. The males that make big money (as far as stud fees go) are the ones that go Best in Show at the really big shows, have a proven track record for siring Championship pups, and are ranked in the top 10 of the breed in the country. Even then, a lot of the time, the actual money paid can be rather low and you will get pick of the litter!
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well that was all for naught.... she came by earlier to let me know they found a way to take him with them. Which is great, I guess her and the kids were really upset and she did a lot of searching and found an airline approved crate and booked him a flight that leaves the day before theirs, he's gonna stay with her mom out there until they find somewhere to live. I'm happy for Copper, he has been really out of sorts the last couple of days watching them sell all their stuff.... been wimpering and barking when normally you never hear a peep out of him. I had to call and tell Chase, and he was really upset. I don't think I'll be able to keep him from getting a dog much longer, but like I told him, I'd rather have the time to think about it and find a dog more suited to the life of a trucker (I thought it was kind of cruel to expect a big golden to be cooped up in his truck most of the time).

So it looks like Copper is moving west and I don't have to worry about introducing a doggy just yet. I'm a little sad because he is such a beautiful and affectionate dog, but I think he is better off staying with the family he knows.

Now I did hear that the owner may be selling the house next door which is a lot like this one, except it has a finished basement and the kitchen area is all open concept. It would need work... but I want to find out what he's asking for it.... plus it has a garage and shed and central air! Hm.... maybe no dog, but a new house instead?!?!

Thanks for all the support guys... I really appreciate it.

Old April 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ok, now I have mixed emotions..... I am glad for Cooper. He gets to stay with his family. I am ecstatic they loved him enough to find a way to keep him. A lot of people wouldn't. I am a little upset for you though. I think you were getting used to the thought of having a dog around. And poor hubby. :sad:
However..this will give you time to look for a dog who has previous "cat" experience. And maybe give you a chance to see what happens when there is a dog around your kitties?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad things worked out! Maybe a small dog is better suited for hubby if he's going to be keeping with him for some company.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 27th, 2008, 12:23 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ya I have been toying with the idea of fostering a dog for a while now, to see how the cats react, and if I can handle a dog too with all these kitties. I think that would probably be the best thing to do first instead of diving right in and taking on all that responsibility and then maybe finding out that the cats can't handle a dog or that my allergies can't. It wouldn't be fair to the dog. Copper just got Chase really excited because he really misses having a dog. He actually sounded pretty sad when I told him, and I felt bad because I was kind of relieved...:sad:

I'm still excited about getting my mini-van tomorrow though.... me, the girl who said she would never never drive a minivan! But it'll be bought and paid for, no payments and hey, it has working a/c which I have spent 3 summers now without.... you don't know how much you really do need it until you don't have it and have dark navy leather seats... talk about a hot seat!!!

Old April 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Fostering is a good idea. You get the experience with a temporary commitment and you would be helping out a dog.

I never wanted a huge car. I have an eclipse, and let me tell you, I wish I'd bought the outlander, which is Mitsubishi's small SUV. I'd kill to have that car. It's so much roomier and I'd love it! You just never know you need something like that until you get to a point in your life when you realize you do need it.

Old April 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,well I feel sorry for Chase,but there are a lot of needy dogs out there,this will give you both time to think about it.
Fostering is a great idea
I know I could not handle bringing a dog in to my household,my cats are terrified of dogs,I am just to old to deal with that.:sad:
I am happy for Copper though,he gets to stay with the family he knows and loves,not that you guys would not love him.
Moving out West is no big deal,of course they should take Copper with them,I don't understand why they would not.
Old April 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
-

Well I'm glad they cared enough about Copper to change their minds and take him with them. I do wish they would get him neutered though.

Poor Chase must be quite disappointed though. I think you and him should check out the shelters and find a dog that is already good with kitties.
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
~Cat Servent~

LOL... Chase already had me checking the HS webpage to see the available dogs. There was one from Louisiana at our HS, that sounded perfect but he was adopted yesturday. There is a 13 yr old girl there.... just broke my heart , so I told Chase he has to do the looking, I want to take them all.

Old April 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I know how you feel. My brother has been wanting to adopt an English Bulldog, and I've been looking for him, but I stopped. I just can't. I feel so bad when I see them.:sad:

Old April 28th, 2008, 09:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry it didn't work out with Copper. :sad: But you'll find your perfect house dog soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."