Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Neutered Dog

Hi, Iam wondering if anyone's dog has experinced their dog's sack swelling after surgery from neutering? It occurred 2 days after surgery I called the vet but he did not seem so concerned. It now has been a week since surgery and still swollen. The dog appears unaffected by this is eating and acting as usual. I am concerned should i be? thanks hank
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

One of our dogs experienced the swelling after a neuter. The area is very vascular and the scrotum can fill up with serum.

Limiting his activity and applying cold compresses (a cold washcloth) can help. If the swelling doesn't begin to resolve soon, your vet can extract some fluid with a syringe to help the body get rid of the fluid. After some of the excess fluid was removed from our dog, the swelling was gone in a matter of days.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I have seen this often and it is really not a concern unless he shows signs of discomfort. The swelling usually goes down over time. (Usually occurs with dogs neutered that are more "mature")
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Yup, that happened to our dog about a week after surgery. We were slightly paranoid because it got so swollen that it looked almost like he wasnt neutred at all, so we took him to the vet and they said its fine, should go be fine in a few days. Sure enough in a few days it went down to normal.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Neutered Dog

Thanks to all of you who responded with words of encouragement. He is 4 years old. I usually don't wait till they get this old to have this procedure done. So, really kinda freaked me out. Talked with the vet this morning and he said again all of things you guys just shared with me. However, this dog is really difficult to keep quiet for he runs rather then walks everywhere he goes. He has been licking the area that is swollen quite a bit today. Well, I will trust the process and wait. Thanks ,hank8
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If the licking becomes problematic, hank8, an Elizabethan collar might come in handy. The collars also tend to make most dogs move a little slower than usual, just because it's something they're not used to. So it may help in two ways.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

If he continues to lick and an e-collar is not an option you can also try a little underarm deodorant (use your fingers to apply) not ON the incision but OUTSIDE the area. One taste of it is usually all it takes. That stuff is nasty.
If you do use an e-collar and he's an indoor dog, put any breakable items away. They tend to be a bit clumsy at first.
Old September 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If the licking becomes problematic, hank8, an Elizabethan collar might come in handy. The collars also tend to make most dogs move a little slower than usual, just because it's something they're not used to. So it may help in two ways.
I always use the elizabethan collar , it keeps them from licking their incision and as a bonus , keeps them from getting too hyper
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
If he continues to lick and an e-collar is not an option you can also try a little underarm deodorant (use your fingers to apply) not ON the incision but OUTSIDE the area. One taste of it is usually all it takes. That stuff is nasty.
If you do use an e-collar and he's an indoor dog, put any breakable items away. They tend to be a bit clumsy at first.
I have never heard of using deodorant. Is this ok with the vets? I always used the e-collar. It is effective and they certainly are clumsy at first but they get it after a while.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Geek Club CEO

I wouldn't put any kind of chemical near a healing incision. The e-colar or similar device is the safest way to go.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)