Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 29th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

dry skin/brushing

ok i've been working on Eclipse trying to start brushing him cause i noticed he had a mat on his back. I still can't get it out. I use a wide brush should i try a comb? i can only do it for a few mins at a time cause he gets mad and starts to swipe at me. He takes the treats well so that is helping.

plus he has pretty dry skin. i'm getting white flakes from all over his back. I'm assuming he's dried out. Is there something i can give him that will help put some moisture back into his skin?

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Catlover2

Don't use a brush. One of the best things to get mats out is a Stitch Ripper. But if you don't have one of these, take some little scissors (blunt nose moustache scissors are best, or nail scissors). If the mat is right down to the skin, you'll have to let the coat grow out a bit, so you can snip the hair (do only very little at a time) until you're able to cut off the whole mat. Give a treat first & snip while cat is eating, then stop before he gets annoyed.

As to his dry skin, the addition of some cooked chicken fat added to his food will help his dry coat. If you're feeding him dry food this could be the reason why his coat is so dry. Hope this helps.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

wow that stitch ripper sounds painful lol. I cut part of it off already was trying to see if i could brush the rest out might just wait and see then. He is feed wet food and they eat a little dry during the day not much at all. I'll have to try the chicken fat idea. i hate eating the fat so i'll give it to him instead.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

A few drops from an Omega 3 fish oil capsule (such as wild salmon, sardine/anchovy, or krill), along with 50 iu of vitamin E mixed into his wet food might help improve Eclipse's coat condition. Careful with too much of the chicken fat as it can lead to pancreatic issues (although this is usually more of a problem with dogs than cats).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

so i could buy the fish oil capsules open them and just drop some in his food? and vitamin E can i just buy it and crush some of it up to give to him. i don't know what iu is

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicwildwolf69 View Post
so i could buy the fish oil capsules open them and just drop some in his food? and vitamin E can i just buy it and crush some of it up to give to him. i don't know what iu is
Yup, you can get both the Omega 3 and vit E in soft gel capsules. Just poke a hole in the end with a safety pin or needle, and squeeze out a couple drops. IU is International Units, which is the amount of vit E in a capsule. So if you find caps that are 100 iu, you can give half of it a day (or one every other day, if that's easier). If all you find are the 400 iu capsules, one of those a week would also work.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

ok that sounds easy should i give some to my other two as well they don't have any skin trouble like he is so far but sometimes they all switch foods.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
should i give some to my other two as well

Omega 3's are beneficial for any pet (and people too!). Most processed foods are severely lacking in these essential oils, so it certainly won't hurt to supplement with them. Start with a teensy amount, like 1 or 2 drops, and slowly work your way up. The fishy smell can be pretty strong depending on the brand and type, and some cats find it off-putting.

Old May 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
Catlover2

Quote:
wow that stitch ripper sounds painful lol. I cut part of it off already was trying to see if i could brush the rest out might just wait and see then.
Just a comment about the Stitch Ripper; it sounds painful, but isn't at all. It's a really neat little tool for ripping out stitches from clothing & is available at a sewing goods store, but is sharp and does a terrific job at breaking up mats. Learned the tip from a Persian breeder. Does a better job than scissors.