Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 19th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Is the summer a more expensive time to buy?

We are hoping to buy we would like to move around june/july im hoping we might be able to put a long moving date on the aggreement. What we are concerned with is everyone says oh its really a hot market in the summer prices go up by 5-10% ive read that there not supposed to anyones oppions welcome please.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I think they are right,we were told to put our house up for sale in the summer,it's very lush,with trees,bushes and a beautiful perennial garden,plus an open pool looks better than a covered one..
We have however since changed our mind,we're staying put,love our little house,especially since we are empty-nesters
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:26 PM

From what I know the Spring time is the peak time to move. There tend to be a lot of houses on the market, which if played out right could make it easier for the buyer to make a deal. That being said, you're up against more people who are also looking to make a move--a buyer doesn't have to take the first offer.

The summer is also a harder time for people to have distant move in dates---a lot of people who put their homes up for sale in the Spring want to move out asap so they can get settled into their new homes before the cold weather comes along.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM

well our lease runs out on the 31st August so i would like to move in july so that i only have one months rent to pay along with the new morgage.

thanks
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes the seller will get more offers because people don't want to move in the winter, so there is more activity in the summer. This means that the seller may become more picky as they have more interest in the home. The other thing that makes a difference is that when there is snow covering everything, people are a little more reluctant, because they don't know what's under that snow. Of course, there is also the opposite where if someone has a bad looking lawn, they may get less offers because people can see it. As an aside, that's a beautiful thing if you know anything about grass and are willing to put in some time. A lawn can look completely dead and kill several thousand dollars off the sale price, when all it needs is some water. We had a lawn that was actually receding from itself it was in such bad shape, and were able to bring it back nice and green for the next season.
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM

HI
We are selling our house. Our agent is putting our listing through on March 21st. She said thats the hot time to sell/buy. There will be more on the market for us to chose from and more buyers for our house. All the military transfers happen around that time so more people list around then. I think its defintly cheaper to buy a house right now, as I have noticed prices are lower than they were in the fall. But the selection is really bad.
Good luck, I hope you find your dream home.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie