Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 17th, 2004, 02:09 PM

shih tzu flying

I don't know if I should post this question here or in 'general' questions but I decided on Breed Discussion because it is a breed specific question. We are flying Christmas Eve (bla) and I'm taking Frodo. He will be in the cabin with me. I was doing a search to see if I could find any organic sedatives for him when I came upon an article stating that snub-nose breeds shouldn't fly. The Pekinese was listed as one of those breeds (closely related to shih tzu) so I am slightly panicking now. Does anyone have any specific knowledge of shihtzus and flying?
Thanks
Sue
Old December 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM

My sister in law flies from Halifax to NFLD all the time with her Shih Tzu. He travels in the cabin with her and she has never had a problem.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old December 17th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never heard they could not fly either. I have a friend who flies with hers a few times a year. I give her some cocculine (organic compound for nausea that is preferable to benzodiadepines like valium because little dogs or cats can smother if they fall into too deep a sleep) and she has no trouble. Rescue Remedy is also good tho I prefer cocculine for travel.

My little Siamese cat flew with me to Florida (In the cabin) and we had a fine time! (She also loves the heat and the cute little lizards here, lol)
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:53 PM

ohhh...thanks, thanks!
It's good to know that others have done it with no problems. He hasn't been prone to any breathing difficulties (except those silly reverse sneezes) and I would hate for something to crop up while in the air.
As for the cocculine or Rescue Remedy, where do you buy those? I do know the website recommended against sedating or tranquilizing (ESPECIALLY snub-noses) but I would like to confirm this by reading the package and/or going a gentler route by taking an organic substance. I would just really like him to sleep the whole way (4 hours). He's not a hyper dog by any means but I feel so bad for him, cooped up in that silly kennel for that long...STUFFED under a seat! :-(
Sue
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I would check with the airline you are flying. There are some, I believe, that will not let you take live animals in the cabin with you. (Only know what I saw on "Airline"!)
Old December 17th, 2004, 05:50 PM

We're flying WestJet and they are only allowing cabin travel for pets over the holidays. :-)
Sue
Old December 17th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep, all airlines are different. I flew AC and they let me take Yin Yin without probs.

As for cocculine, I get it at either Atlantic Superstore, a health food store or Jean Coutu pharmacy. The best price is at Superstore - Provigo in Quebec, Loblaws in Ontario - not sure what it is elsewhere. (Check to ssee if the grocery store has a health food section).

Rescue Remedy is also great tho. I get that at the Health Food Store.

Pets usually do well if they are with you and can see you and you are talking to them. We had a short layover in Boston so that gave me time to talk to her - (no way would I leave her out in a strange lrage place with all those people tho!!)

Good luck!!!
Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:25 PM

quick update

I just bought Frodo some Valerian Root from the pet store and I'm going to drop it into his food a few hours before we go. :-) Anybody know if *I* can use it as well? ;-)
Sue
Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanheb
I just bought Frodo some Valerian Root from the pet store and I'm going to drop it into his food a few hours before we go. :-) Anybody know if *I* can use it as well? ;-)
Sue
Valerian root works great for people too.

Check with the airlines, a letter of acclimation may be needed also to fly with a pet. Your vet will have to issue one. Most vet's I know will print one for you as long as the pet is current and in good health.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Please read this message that I posted last month (think it was last mo, lol)

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....light=valarian

Valarian is a stimulant (like catnip) for cats. I thought you wanted something that would sedate the pet. It WILL sedate humans but NOT cats.

The only requirement AC requested as a vet's certificate for her vaccinations. The acclamation may be if the pet would be in cargo hold and I really do not recommend that. There are too many accidents and some pets have died because the air pressure is low. (That is something airlines never tell you!)

Before I found Yin Yin, I looked at adopting a Siamese kitty from Montreal and opted to purchase a passenger ticket. The airline said they would make sure this cat travelled in the cabin.

Now, many pets have been sent by cargo and maybe I am just being too cautious. But this was in the wake of that cat getting loose in the plane that had to land in Nfld and reading a lawsuit by someone whose cat carrier (with the cat INSIDE) was driven over. Needless to say, the poor kitty did not survive and the airline would only refund whatever it was worth in terms of cargo - $250 I think.

I still have the ticket to Montreal, lol
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:07 AM

valerian root

Thanks for the input guys.
CyberKitten, Frodo is a *dog*. lol So the Valerian Root will act as a mild sedative for him, and now that I know I can take it myself (this will be freaky...kinda like eating dog food )...I hope it works. There's lots of snow here.
Sue
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Cargo and cabin pressure is maintained at the same altitude setting always.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:03 PM

update

I just wanted to add a quick update to this thread just in case there is anyone else out there looking for information on the same subject.
The flight from Toronto to Calgary is approx 4 hours. Frodo dug a small hole in his kennel on the way there. (He didn't eat the food with the valerian root.) The flight back was wonderful though. He ate the whole capsule (broken into soft food) about 40 minutes before departure and he basically slept the whole way. It was wonderful. Valerian root works. We bought the bottle of capsules from the pet store for about $11 Cdn. Well worth it.
Sue
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

Valerian Root

I recently joined this post hoping you can provide info on what brand and dosage you used for your shih tzu? I have two and have previously flown with one - the same trip almost (Edmonton - Toronto and back). On the flight he cried, panted and over heated himself - he only calmed down when I held his kennel on my lap which is a big no-no on airlines. He was just nervous so I need something to calm him down. I'm nervous as I also read numerous sites cautioning against using sedatives for shih tzu's.

I really don't want another stressful four hour flight and our dog sitter is not available at Christmas.

Thanks for any additional info you can provide!!
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:00 PM

It would depend on your dog's weight, and how old he is. Older dogs have a hard time coming out of sedation than younger dogs, so you'd have to be careful if you're talking about a senior.

We used atavet on Boo for the drive home from PEI. It made him groggy- he had 3 pills total (he's 96lbs). I don't know if it would be a good idea to try it out before the trip because in some dogs, sedatives can have the reverse effect and make the dog hyperactive-- really bad on a plane...