Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 27th, 2014, 11:32 AM

diatomaceous earth

Have any of you tried human grade diatomaceous earth for your dog? My dog has food allergies and his digestive track is very sensitive. Someone recommended this for him. What is your opinion on this.
Old October 27th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

As far as I know, most people (myself included) use this product to kill bugs.

It's supposed to be safe for pets but feeding it to pets directly to combat allergies....I haven't heard of that and I'd never try it if it was recommended by 'a someone'.

Get me a veterinarian's recommendation and I'll open my mind wider
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 27th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

http://fullcirclevet.ca/2013/04/25/w...artmouth-pets/

Some Vets approve, some don't. It's sold by holistic and homeopathic Vets and raw food places.

OP, what pests are you hoping to combat with it? I am not aware of it being used for allergies but I can see if meds upset your dogs tummy then this might avoid them.
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I have heard of feeding it to dogs, but don't know enough about it to recommend it or not. My breeder uses it for worming, she actually sent some home to us with the puppies.
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

If your dog has food allergies you should not feed those food to him. My dog can't eat yeast or wheat b/c he get crystals in his urine so I do not feed this to him.
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:34 PM

digestive track

I was told from a breeder who has bred dogs for 40 yrs. and has used this product and swears by it, that it may help my dogs digestive track. I did some research on it and it mentioned that as well.

As far as food goes, yes of course I have worked very closely with the vet and have finally found a food that works, but he has relaspes, and has been tested for a few things, costing much $$$, including a enzyme test, which came back negative.

So I was just wondering if anyone who's dog has allergies has used this product to help the digestive track. not the allergies).

I have another dog that has been on it for a long time, its suppose to help so many things, but than I don't believe everything I hear also. The dog that is on it has no health issues.

Just want to hear stories of those who have tried it. positive and negative

thanks
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm confused, or maybe I don't know enough about it. My dog has allergies, seasonal environmental, but I may do the Nutriscan test for food intolerances anyway. We are going to raw food post a bout with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. So far, knock on wood, all is good and his allergies have not affected him very badly at all this summer and no meds.

But, the place I will likely be buying my raw food sells diatomaceous earth so I've read up on it. And it does not seem like something anybody uses for digestion, as you seem to be wanting to do. People are feeding it to get rid of various kinds of worms that their dog may have picked up.

In our case we will never know for sure what triggered the IBD but my suspicion is it was the allergy meds combined with pain meds for a wonky elbow, not food. Even so we are keeping up with our heartworm meds. But no other meds, not even supplements such as EFAs. Now that I am working with a holistic Vet I suggest you might try this route yourself. It's scary the trouble you can get your dog into by going it alone and internet advice is the worst. I hope you are checking out everything all of us have said.

Here's the saliva test for food intolerance if you'd like to look into it:

http://www.nutriscan.org/

Good luck with this. I hope you let us know how this pans out.
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Looked again, found a site that mentions using it for digestion. Kind of a brief mention, think I will look further. Actually, we have a holistic Vet appt. tomorrow and since digestion was a big, big problem for my dog a few months ago I will ask about this.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...maceous-earth/

Update post today's Vet visit. Our holistic Vet has heard of the use of human grade diatomaceous earth to aid digestion but only in case of disease or known digestive problems. She has not dispensed it for that purpose herself. When my dog first went to her for his IBD she put him on Rx Zymes. There are some cleansing and toxin removal properties, as is said with the D. Earth, to this that did benefit him because he's still alive. But he no longer needs this.

Last edited by Longblades; October 29th, 2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old October 31st, 2014, 09:23 AM

thanks longblade

Excellent information. He might be having a biopsy for his next test when he gets neutered. I also would love to have an allergy test done, which is also very expensive. He had a pcr and enzyme test done. enzymes were negative. He did have gardia and cryptosporidium when I got him, didn't know it when I picked him up. He also had anemia when we got him, and still does at 8 months. I will not be trying the d.e. but wanted to get opinions on it. Interesting what you holiisic vet said. We live 3 hrs. away from the closet holistic vet. mmmm something to think about. Thanks again.
Old October 31st, 2014, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

We are pretty sure my boy's allergies are seasonal, environmental because he eats the same food winter and summer but only itches in summer. However, as is typical of allergies, he seems to be reacting more to more things and last year his ears bothered him in the winter. So I will be doing the saliva test for food intolerances on him. You might want to look into this too. Much cheaper than allergy testing and getting some very good reviews. By now anything Dr. Jean Dodds has her name on I'm willing to investigate. Here's the link:

http://www.nutriscan.org/