Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:14 PM

ten year old calico/sudden, strange behavior?

my ten year old calico cat has been acting very strange lately.. she has been peeing on my pillows, clothes, etc, which is very unlike her. she also is acting very skittish/cowardly (running off and hiding in weird places, like the floor in my shower, the kitchen counter tops, LAYING in her litter box?)...up until four months ago, id been treating her with the REVOLUTION drops, but havent been able to re-order any yet because i dont get paid until end of this month. any ideas on what could be causing this behavior?
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

welcome to the forum Emmahuges07!

10 might be young for a kitty to start getting dementia problems, but that was the first thing that came to mind. 10 is young though imo.

Second thing that came to mind is some type of urinary medical problem which is also leading to behavioural problems.

I'm afraid a vet visit is in order to figure out what is going on.

I don't think Revolution has anything to do with this....but I've been wrong before.

As always, I'm curious as to what other members may suggest.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm afraid a Vet visit is in order too, with a full blood panel workup. Hope you find an easy answer.
Old October 8th, 2014, 10:53 PM

thank u for ur help. made an appointment for her at the vet tommorow, however im afraid of what the results will be, because right now i wont be able to afford anything major as far as it being something thats going to cause hundreds of dollars. as it is, i was only able to schedule a consultation because it was one of those "free exam/free consult" offers that the vet was offering.
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

It's really a bummer that is cost so much to bring a pet to a vet . Maybe the vet would let pay a little at time so you can find out want is wrong with your kitty .
Old October 9th, 2014, 07:46 PM

Try to bring a clean urine sample with you, it will save you money from them having to get one from her, and she really should be tested for a UTI. I usually have luck by buying a new litter box and locking the cat in the room with it, sooner or later they usually go.
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:48 AM

How is your Calico? This really sounds like a behavioral issue, and I hope you can get to the root of it. I agree with Marko that it does sound like dementia, but she is young for that. Most likely something else is going on, but your vet will know for sure after a workup.

I have a 14 year old Calico. They can be quite high strung, especially when something is out of whack in their environment. Have you changed anything lately or introduced a new pet or human baby? A new roomie? New brand of litter?

My Calico was very unhappy when I brought in a new kitten after the other resident cat passed. My vet prescribed a pheromone diffuser to put them at ease with each other. It promotes a sense of wellbeing. Something to think of. It has helped.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Revolution I'm sure is Ivermectin. Has potential to overdose. Needs to space out after a couple of months I think. I hope you used Cat Revolution. You would need to google overdose of Ivermectin. Revolution is usually for ear mites & fleas I think. Frontline Plus is the only flea spotter I trust. Kills eggs too. Even if it has been months I would shampoo & scrub where I applied it (and dry towel). Or google Ivermectin poisoning to Cat & maybe activated Charcoal (from pharmacist) might be an antidote.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:27 AM

To emmahughes

Shouldn't use "Revolution" as a usual flea treatment. Ivermectin & another mectin used ingredient are know very dangerous & easily overdosed giving neurological damage to animals, many of poisoning of cats. It's usually only in existence for Ear Mites. If you read instructions you strictly can't give a following tiny dose for a couple of months I think. But only if heavy infestation of ear mites persist. But it is such a scary product I would only use Frontline Plus for fleas. PLEASE do not buy or use Revolution again.!!!! as you said you were waiting to get paid. Ah!!