Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Winnie, our 15 year old yellow Lab...actually white now!

I just wanted to let our Pets.ca family know what has been going on with WInnie. I've been part of this family since, I think 2005. Anyway, Winnie has been going down hill pretty fast. She is having a lot of problem getting up and when she does, she can only walk a few meters before she looks at you for help.
I called the vet this last Saturday for a "at home Euthanisia". It was all set up and as I was telling the vet what happened with Winnie, Winnie looked up at me at wagged her tail and grunted. I obviously hung up and went to her. She tried all her might to get up and she did. Did she hear me talk about her end??? My mind was going everywhere. I called the vet back and cancelled...just in case.
She isn't suffering, she loves to eat, wags her tail, rolls in the grass...but and it is a big but; she can't walk very much. If she was an old lady I would give her a wheelchair, but ofcourse that's just silly.
I am waiting for a sign as so many of you over years have been talking about..."you'll know when its time"....but have a missed these subtle signs...am I just prolonging the obvious....well I think that I will wait and see for a few days...my back is sore, butI think it's worth it for now. I massage her legs every day and it seems to be working as well. I just wanted those who have known me to know what is happening with Winnie....
Attached Images

Old September 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

the picture above was WInnie last year...the ones below were just this weekend....
Attached Images

Old September 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

What a beautiful ol' girl she is
I don't know if this helps at all, but we just went through it with our precious Thorin in March. Our vet had a great idea to help him get around. He was still enjoying his food, still wanting his loves and to be a part of the family. He would even lay on the floor and play with his babies and mouth wrestle with Nookie... but he couldn't walk on his own very well. We have a 2 story home with a walkout basement, so a lot of stairs! Our vet said to take 2 of the reusable cloth shopping bags and cut them down both sides. They look like a sling with handles after they're cut. You put one under her chest and one under her groin/hips, then hold the handles to give her support while she walks. It did wonders for my back and helped Thorin (and us!) to enjoy the last bit of life he had left. When the pain meds stopped helping and he quit eating, it was time.

HUGE 's to you. I know how heartbreaking it is.

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

15, You are SO lucky. That's a good age. When my old Lab girl's back went she could still walk but slower and shorter, and slower and shorter. We dropped down to 10 minute walks but she still wanted to go. One thing that perked her right up was a walk in a new place. She only weighed 56 pounds, I could easily put her into my car and we drove to all sorts of places we'd ignored before because they were not big or long enough for my 4 hour skiing friend. Could you do that? What about a little red wagon?

That "they'll tell you" business is not true for many. What I found happens is they rally in your presence, decline when you are not there. My Mum had the unpleasant task of euthanizing someone else's dog when it was left in her care, along with another lady. As soon as the owner went away for her vacation the poor dog went downhill rapidly. And yes, the obvious observation is why did the owner go on vacation; the dog was pretty bad, had to be carried out to grass to pee. So I ask you to consider how much time you are able to spend with your lovely girl. I know how hard this is. Give her a hug and kiss for me.
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

cpietra, my heart breaks for you at having to go through this. As you probably remember I went through it last fall with Shadow who was 14. Did I get a clear indicator from her, no. I had to pick the day. And like you I did change it once. That said, I don't regret my decision to have her put to sleep when I did. It was hard as hell, don't get me wrong, but from the friends who have since told me that they regret that they waited too long, I know I did the right thing.

I agree with Longblades, I think they try to put on a brave front for us. But only we can make that decision for them. Winnie is beautiful and has been blessed with 15 years with you. Wow, you are both so lucky. Trust your heart my friend, and you will know within yourself when it's time to let Winnie go with dignity. I wish I could give you wonderful words, but there really are none other than trust your heart. Winnie will understand and always love you.
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I want to thank everyone for your kind and helpful words...WInnie is still with us but I know I will have to make that dreaded phone call....
Rgeurts...I actually made a sling and pull her up from behind. her front paws are stronger....and actually in the last few days I have been massaging her legs and that also made a difference...

thank you all for your ideas and support. I will keep you all posted.
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:51 PM

It is always such a difficult step. Just know that you have our thoughts with you and are keeping you in our minds. Winnie is stunning and it is difficult to pick up on the signs. Sometimes, we just don't want to. Whatever you decide, just know that you have our support. Good luck.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I want to thank everyone for your kind and helpful words...WInnie is still with us but I know I will have to make that dreaded phone call....
Rgeurts...I actually made a sling and pull her up from behind. her front paws are stronger....and actually in the last few days I have been massaging her legs and that also made a difference...

thank you all for your ideas and support. I will keep you all posted.
I been wanting to post a comment but it been so hard to as I keep thinking of the day I had to put my best friend down . I feel for you so much and for anyone that has to make the last phone call for their beloved pet. Winnie is so lucky to have your for her owner. Your photo with Winnie bring tears to my eyes. She is a beautiful dog and she is so sweet looking to.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Barkingdog, I was reading this and wondering how many would actually admit to getting teary when reading about Winnie. I did, instantly. She is beautiful and those are lovely photo's of her. We had to say goodbye to Perkins last year for just the reason cpietra16 will have to act for Winnie, when they can no longer cope then you really have to think of quality of life versus quantity. 15 years is such a good long life for a dog, and that awful decision is the last kind thing you can do for them I believe. I really feel for you, cpietra16, I think it won't be that long till I lose one of my shelties so know the anguish you are going through, and the soul searching.
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Such a tough time, cpietra. Winnie is very lucky to have you.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:28 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

I am so sorry you are going through this. It has been so humid so much this summer too. I am sure old Winnie's joints seem sorer than normal.

You might remember Ginger and Hobo let me know together...they both stopped eating one day, drinking the next and sent to the Bridge together the next. Still can't talk about it and still brings tears to my eyes but there is no doubt in my mind I did do the right thing for them.

Sometimes they do let you know

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Barkingdog, I was reading this and wondering how many would actually admit to getting teary when reading about Winnie. I did, instantly. She is beautiful and those are lovely photo's of her. We had to say goodbye to Perkins last year for just the reason cpietra16 will have to act for Winnie, when they can no longer cope then you really have to think of quality of life versus quantity. 15 years is such a good long life for a dog, and that awful decision is the last kind thing you can do for them I believe. I really feel for you, cpietra16, I think it won't be that long till I lose one of my shelties so know the anguish you are going through, and the soul searching.
When I saw cpietra16 laying next to her beloved Winnie it reminded me of the day I put my beloved Finlay down. I laid right across him and held on to him for dear life. I had to move so the vet could listen to Finlay little heart for the last time and this was the most painful thing to see. cpietra16 photo is so moving and you can see the love Winnie and cpietra16 share. My heart goes out to anyone that lost a pet or has a pet that getting ready to travel to the Rainbow Bridge . Our pets are in our lives for such a short time but they stay in our hearts forever.