Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM

CRF cat throwing up Wellness canned - alternatives?

Hi all, this board was such a help when my 11-yr old Target was diagnosed last year with early stage CRF. I researched what was written about canned foods vs. dry, raw vs. everything else, and made the choice to feed Wellness grain-free chicken and turkey flavours due to the low phosphorus levels. Things were going swimmingly for the last year or so until a few weeks ago, when I noticed that Target would vomit a yellow bile-looking liquid shortly before mealtimes. Sometimes there seemed to be fur in the puddle, so I thought she had a hairball she was trying to get up. She didn't seem to act sick, so I didn't panic.

When this continued for the better part of a week even though I tried her with Tonic-Lax and pure pumpkin smash, I called the vet to describe what was going on. They suggested I bring her in to have repeat bloodwork, in case the kidney disease had progressed. Fortunately, the bloodwork showed no change from 3 mos ago (yay!), but they couldn't explain the vomiting. Well after bringing her home, she started vomiting very soon as eating, despite me dosing her with sulcrufate 60 mins before feeding. Again, she didn't act sick, so I was puzzled.

I had a stray tin of Medi-cal Mature canned food in my cupboard, which the vet had originally suggested with the original CFR diagnosis. I just hadn't liked the look of the food - seemed poorer quality than Wellness, plus ingredients listed "meat byproducts". Unfortunately, she seemed able to tolerate that food and hasn't vomited since (a week later). Ideally, I'd like to find a better quality of canned food to feed her, but I have no idea what prompted the vomiting to begin with; just that it seemed associated with the Wellness food. Any suggestions for something low in phos, highly palatable, but of better quality than Medi-cal?

Thanks in advance!

RIP Xavier (6 mos)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Innova Evo 95% venison or beef are decent foods with nicely low phosphorus levels.

Do you raise Target's food dishes? Growler has some good info on how keeping the dishes a few inches off the ground can prevent excess stomach acid from burbling up: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....hes#post504548

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM

Raising the dishes up usually between 2-4 inches will definately help, alot of CRF cats have excess stomach acid which is what makes them nauseaous (acid comes up into the throat), that turns into vomiting. By raising the dish above the height of the stomach it keeps the acid where it belongs.

How often are you feeding? Does it only occur in the mornings before breakfast? Smaller more frequent meals especially one before bed will help to keep the stomach happy and full less likely for acid to react.

I'm guessing the medi-cal worked cuz the flavour isn't quite as strong/appetizing - there is less protein in it making it not as tasteful therefore there isn't the same salivatiing reaction to it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I raised the dishes quite a few months ago because I suspected her head position was causing some nausea at that time. This bout seemed to go (and go) without any identifiable cause. No change in food, feeding frequency or times, etc.

As for how often I feed, I give each cat either half of a small can, or a quarter of the tall cans, twice daily (7am & 6pm). They usually don't scarf the whole amount when I put it down, so they have the ability to graze on the rest until the next feeding. I don't think there's any aversion to eating food that's sat around all day, since I've seen both cats nibbling at their respective plates within an hour of their upcoming meal.

I think I tried the Innovo 95% venison when Target was first diagnosed with CRF, and IRC she wouldn't touch the stuff. I know she doesn't eat my other cat's food (who is on a novel protein diet of Nature's Variety venison or lamb).

RIP Xavier (6 mos)
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhawk1 View Post
I think I tried the Innovo 95% venison when Target was first diagnosed with CRF, and IRC she wouldn't touch the stuff.
Well isn't that just like a cat! Do you think she'd go for some raw? Nature's Variety raw medallions are low phosphorus. Other canned food options would be Felidae Chicken & Rice, some of the Precise flavours (Turkey, Chicken, and Triple Delight), Nutro California Chicken Supreme, and Merrick (Thanksgiving Day Dinner, California Roll and Cowboy Cookout). There are also some low phosph Friskies flavours if you get desperate. Here is a chart you can peruse for ideas: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/CanFoodNew.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM

A probiotic such as PB8 might help, it replenishes the good gut flora and rebalances the system. My grrl Duffy gets 1 capsule in breakfast and 1 capsule in dinner.

You could also try Slippery Elm Bark to soothe & coat the stomach & intestinal tract. Must be given at least an hour apart from any medications or other supplements.

Old April 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Would any human quality probiotic be ok to try? I can't seem to locate that
PB8 you mentioned. Or should I get a pet-specific one from the pet store? I think most times those would be more expensive.

Thanks!

RIP Xavier (6 mos)
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM

Yes you can use any high quality, high potency probiotic. See if you can find this one that Sugarcatmom recommends:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
It's best to use a high-potency, multi-organism, non (or minimal) dairy capsule. Natural Factors makes a good one: Ultimate Probiotic 12/12. You only need a pinch (like 1/6th of a capsule) per dose, a couple doses a day.

Old April 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that one.

RIP Xavier (6 mos)