Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Should we get a second dog?

Our Shiba is 9 months old now. We take him to the dog park for one hour minimum each day and one hour walk in the afternoon (always, rain or shine!). That is in addition to his short morning potty and just before bedtime potty. He gets sooo bored during the rest of the day. I am usually home but of course I have to study/work so I can't play with him nonstop.

We recently stayed at the mother-in-law's house for a week and it was the best week of his life since he had another dog (Maltese) to play with.

Our Shiba is very, very active (not just puppy, but a breed thing) and super social. Did anyone introduce a second dog so that they could be permanent playmates?

We live in a condo right now but we are moving to a house with full yard in 6-9 months.

Last edited by shibamom; September 14th, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: extra info
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I NEVER reccomend anyone getting a second dog on the sole purpose for a playmate to the first pet. If you want a second dog, then that is something to consider, but don't do it JUST for your first dog.

There are many other options first, like a dog walker or daycare, rather than jumping straight to a new addition. It's best to get a second dog when your first dog is 2 - 3, fully mature, trained, and ready to be a good role model for the next one.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks Bailey

We have always wanted two Shibas but thought waiting until he was an adult would be a good idea. I suppose he looked bored today and he was tugging at my heart strings
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamom View Post
Thanks Bailey

We have always wanted two Shibas but thought waiting until he was an adult would be a good idea. I suppose he looked bored today and he was tugging at my heart strings
I totally understand. Obviously if bringing home another dog is something you and your family want to consider then totally go for it, just be careful for the reasons!
My labradoodle was just 8 months old when we decided to adopt Blaze, a three year old mix, and they are best of friends. We didn't do it however to give Bailey a friend, we did it to give a dog in need a home.

Getting a second dog brings double the work into a home and generally dogs will play with one another, that is true, but they still look to their owners for attention, which a lot of people forget. A second dog isn't just going to entertain your first and vice versa, all the time..or even most of the time. You will simply have another face that wants your attention and your love and your time with training.

If you do decide to bring another dog into your home, I highly reccomend adopting from a local rescue. Our experience has been wonderful, and we truly don't know what we would do without Blaze...even though she isn't a certain 'breed', she's just herself and that is what makes her so special!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that I would wait until the first is fully trained, plus why not wait until after you have moved and settled in. A move can be very distracting for any dog let alone a new puppy in training. I'd wait at least a year myself. I know it's hard to resist, but you may regret it later if you rush in now. You may even find that your current pup may regress a bit when you move. The stress and disruption may set her back a bit and require some extra work to keep her stable. A new pup on top could be a bit much. I would also agree with rescuing if possible, you may be able to find a Shiba rescue also and get one who is a bit older.
Old September 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Sounds like a good plan (especially since our move is Vancouver to Montreal). I browse the Shiba rescue websites daily. It's hearbreaking!
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I hope you stay with the board. I'm in BC also and there sure are a lot of Shiba's out here. My oldest is an Akita (a bigger Shiba). My first dog trainer/boarder was a Shiba breeder also. I think they are beautiful dogs. I think it's best with such a large move in the future to wait until you are settled back in again and your first pup has re-established a routine. Good luck to you on that. Oh I did my move the other way around I came from Montreal to BC.
Old September 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
-

Of course it would be best to wait after you move but ... you're moving to Montreal right ? We don't have too many Shibas here in Quebec ....

but you can find similar dogs in shelters and rescues. If you decide to go with a rescue (from a rescue or shelter) you can meet the dog and bring your own dog to see if they get along , this way you'll be sure that yours will have a playmate.

You can be surprise sometimes .... I had many fosters since Nelly (great dane) has been here and , her best friend in all the fosters ended up to be a 40 lbs Kelpie dog
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Hi Frenchy

We recently got back from one month in Qc and only saw one Shiba in Quebec City (visiting from Ottawa). Everyone thought he was a chow mix! We took him to the dog parks in St Foy and even Brossard a few times.

Yes, we'll be in Montreal. I would like whichever dog is best for him and our family. My first dog was a Great Dane! (That beautiful girl was put to sleep in 2001 after she turned 10 and had cancer, I miss her!). How do the Danes do in the snow? Sorry, I'm a BC girl and don't have any experience! My husband is the "Frenchy" ;-0

Last edited by shibamom; September 14th, 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: extra
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Oh, man, it's so much fun to have two Shibas playing together. It's so amusing, especially when they're both young. I know several people around town who go the dog park with their Shibas. It's a blast to see my Jack (5 months) playing with them. But, you know how much of a pain one Shiba can be. Can you really imagine having two, especially with the stress of moving?
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard of a Shiba..could u show of picture of yours?

Like the others have said I would wait until u move and until your first pup gets a bit older.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Yes, 2 Shibas together would be a handful ! However, we are a very, very active family and the energy level is perfect

Here he is! (I'll try this). Yes, an off-leash Shiba! Pure home-cooked plain chicken breasts work wonders for recalling a "recall-less" breed (within a fenced dog park, of course).
Attached Images

Last edited by shibamom; September 15th, 2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Picture
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Yes, 2 Shibas together would be a handful ! However, we are a very, very active family and the energy level is perfect

Here he is! (I'll try this)
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:02 AM

#1-10 weeks old (sooo cute)
#2-8 months old (lounging in the heat)
#3-7 months old (dog park)
Attached Images

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM

He is absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful pup.
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamom View Post
Hi Frenchy

even Brossard a few times.

hey ! I work in Brossard !

Yes, we'll be in Montreal. I would like whichever dog is best for him and our family. My first dog was a Great Dane! (That beautiful girl was put to sleep in 2001 after she turned 10 and had cancer, I miss her!). How do the Danes do in the snow? Sorry, I'm a BC girl and don't have any experience! My husband is the "Frenchy" ;-0
Nelly (great dane) doesn't like it when there's a wind chill factor (-15*C , let's say , and colder) but when it's sunny and a bit warmer, she looooves to play in the snow.

oh my , your dog is gorgeous !