Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Teacup chihuahua just moved in...

My daughter-in-law to be moved in recently and brought her two year old teacup chihuahua. We have found, to our surprise, that our cat filled household needed a dog - at least this one. She is the sweetest thing ever and, at three pounds, doesn't bother the cats at all since she is smaller than any of them.

I have two questions about this dog, however, for those who may be familiar with them.

First of all, she shakes and trembles most of the time. According to my DOL, all chihuahuas do this but I am nervous about it when she is left in my care.

The second is that she is not yet spayed. My DOL wants to get her spayed but she says the vet told her she must weigh five pounds before he'll do the procedure. I have to say, this dog will NEVER reach five pounds. Ever. I only know cats and I know my cats could be spayed before weighing anything like five pounds. Anyone know about this in dogs?
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

They actually do shake alittle due to being a little chilly. They do not tremour however. There is a difference. They are very climate sensitive. If you think something does not seem right, or if you want confirmation then consult with a vet just to be certain.

As far a spaying, I do not have enough knowledge to comment on this.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I've also heard Chihuahua's tremble as well. I found this:

Quote:
smaller chihuahua puppies usually have a higher metabolism and so they expend body heat faster than bigger dogs. shivering also helps to generate body heat, which is also explains why people shiver when they are cold
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the info! This doesn't resemble a tremor - I guess I'm just surprised at what this tiny dog considers chilly! I always have to have a blanket in my lap for her to be happy so I sit there and roast while she cuddles up underneath it!
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM

One thing you may want to check into with these ultra tiny dogs is that they can have issues with hypoglycemia. I've not been around any dogs this size but have heard that this is a health concern. I know blood sugar changes in people can lead to shaking and trembling and just wanted to put this out here for you. It is worth checking into and knowing the signs and symptoms. Sounds like the kitties are enjoying their new companion!

Oh, and I guess this is one of those times when a doggie sweater or t-shirt is health appropriate. I've also heard this breed gets chilly.
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

8 week old puppies are S/N all the time in some shelters.. Im sure some of these are tiny tiny things.. Keely's breeder has most dogs over 5 lbs. Except for one puppy that was tiny tiny. She grew to be 3 lbs give or take an ounce. lol.. She spayed her because it was MUCH MUCH MUCH safer then her getting pregnant by one of her 2 , 4 lb studs by and accident..

Tiny dogs are S/N all the time

For the shaking I was also thiinking about hypoglycemia.. Split her meals up into about 4-5 meals thru-out the day.. Maybe get some honey and put a dab on her tongue when she gets the shakes?
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM

I have to say, I've been very concerned about the spaying thing. I keep reminding my DOL that she will not likely survive a mating should she get out at the wrong time and will certainly not survive pregnancy/labor - this dog is minute. I think I'll offer to pay if she'll take the dog to another vet - if this one isn't comfortable performing the procedure on a very small dog, then I've no interest in taxing his abilities!

I'll have her check on the hypoglycemia. She does take very, very good care of the dog. She loves her so much that she is generally responsive if you appeal to her protective nature. I hope I can convince her not to postpone spaying any longer.

Thanks for all your responses everyone. Aside from these concerns, I'm delighted to have this tiny spark of joy in our house. She is the sweetest thing ever hatched out of an egg and it's almost impossible not to let her warm your heart.
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM

I have a female chihuahua who is full grown at 3.9 pounds. Their are no such thing as teacup chihuahua's they only come as short hair or long hair. The minature or teacup name is just given by breeders as a fancy way to sell these dogs. Anyways, I had her fixed when she was 6 months old and she was just about 3 pounds. My vet did it no problem. No complications. My chi's will sleep under 2 down filled duvets when it is 40 degrees outside. Once she ges comfortable around the cats they will play. My Chi's and my cats play all the time. So to answer your question yes they can be fixed when their that small, a vet with experience on small dogs can safely perform the operation. They will shiver when you are dying of heat, but if they start to get shaky when they are walking or looking out of it they can suffer from low bloodsugar because of their low weight. I personally have never had a problem with this. Also if you have any lazy boy or rocking/gliding type chairs in your house be carefull when you go to recline them because they do like to hide under them and can get stuck in the mechanics of the chairs. I treat my dogs like any "normal" sized dog. walk them daily, tie them up ouside *they love to sun bath* and socialize them with other dogs. Have fun with the dog!!!