Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Unhappy First Time Dog Owner Needs Help.....

After months of research and looking around shelters, I finally adopted my first dog on Friday – a senior Mastiff/Staffordshire Terrier Cross. He’s super laid back, except that he hasn’t been eating very much, and his bathroom breaks are relatively few… Suffice to say, I’m kind of feeling overwhelmed right now… wondering if I made a bad choice, wondering if I have what it takes to care for him, even thought about returning him to the shelter after 2 DAYS, even though he's totally well behaved… Just a lot of anxiety. This is in spite of the fact that I’d been preparing for so long, and that this wasn’t a rush decision….

My question is… is this all normal? If any of you could look back on your time as a first time dog owner and offer up any advice or stories I’d really appreciate it.. Thank You.

PS: He is going to the vet today
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Not knowing your dog at all, I would say this is all normal. The boy has been through a very stressful time. I get fosters all the time and I say a good 2 weeks to be settled and into a routine. Be easy on him for a little bit and just let him get use to his new surroundings.

Let us know how the vet visit went. Thank you for rescuing a dog!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

THANK YOU for adopting a senior dog!! What you are feeling is totally normal! It's the old "What the HELL have I done??" syndrome. Happens to all of us, and has certainly happened to me.

Put yourself in this dog's place. He has lost everything, doesn't know what is going to happen to him, and is probably pining the loss of his owners, even though they may have dumped him.

Give him lots of love and attention and you'll be surprised at how he will come around. Please don't give up on him. He's likely to die at the shelter if abandoned again!

The love of a old dog is very special!
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd love to see a photo! How old is he? Older dogs are less active and consequently eat less too.
Old July 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I say it is normal,i could of lost it alot when i first got my pup,i thought oh my god,this is alot of work,forgot how much work a puppy is,but it issss all worth it to me,especially when you see the results and know you taught them all that stuff,it is a great feeling..
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Oh yeah, stress is very normal, for both the dog and the new owner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!