Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Crossing a vet off my list.

Well, I had to take Vlad in for his rabies vaccine yesterday evening. There was an emergency, so I decided instead of waiting I'd just go this afternoon. I gave Vlad his Xanax, and took him in.

Apparently the dosage needs to be changed, because it did nothing for him. He was terrified and was actually lunging at anyone who came close to his carrier. So the vet wanted to give him a sedative. She said she wasn't going to risk anyone getting hurt.

Okay, first of all, i totally get that. I don't want Vlad hurting anyone. But, I'm also aware of the risks of sedation and anesthesia. There is no way I'm having him sedated just to give him a vaccine.

I'm going to talk to his usual vet this evening, because I have to take Oksana and Czari for their vaccines. I'm going to ask her if I can up the dosage on him. I want him to be mellow and relaxed, but I also think it's not worth risking his life just for a shot.

The fact that the vet was just so cold and even annoyed at his anxiousness really turned me off.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Geek Club CEO

If it's coming down to needing meds/sedation, maybe the extra cost of a house call would be worth it? Poor guy, it's so hard to see them stress out like that.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
-

AG , when was their last rabies shots ? Because they last for at least 3 years ... at least , last protocol on vaccination that I read , was more like 8 years !
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
AG , when was their last rabies shots ? Because they last for at least 3 years ... at least , last protocol on vaccination that I read , was more like 8 years !
Frenchy, he hasn't had one in since he was a kitten. So that's been close to 3 years.

I did manage to talk to his usual vet and she agreed he needed to up the dosage. She also didn't like the idea of sedating him just for a vaccine. That's why I adore this woman.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old January 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

It is difficult when there is more than one vet operating in the same office. If it is not an emergency and have to see who ever is working that day, I prefer to see the same vet all the time and will try to wait until she has a day with appointments. I am pretty sure that my computer record even indicates that I am NOT to be scheduled with one particular vet in the practise because I so strongly disagree with her opinions and actions so much.
I know that sometimes just getting the kitty to the vet is harder than the appointment itself. I have spent more than one morning chasing an unco-operative kitty to cage him.
Thankfully your vet understands that and agrees with you on upping the "calming" dosage.
As for the rabies, I never did understand why the requirement varies so much from province to province. I know in BC, it is every 3 years, but Ontario says every year.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
It is difficult when there is more than one vet operating in the same office. If it is not an emergency and have to see who ever is working that day, I prefer to see the same vet all the time and will try to wait until she has a day with appointments. I am pretty sure that my computer record even indicates that I am NOT to be scheduled with one particular vet in the practise because I so strongly disagree with her opinions and actions so much.
I know that sometimes just getting the kitty to the vet is harder than the appointment itself. I have spent more than one morning chasing an unco-operative kitty to cage him.
Thankfully your vet understands that and agrees with you on upping the "calming" dosage.
As for the rabies, I never did understand why the requirement varies so much from province to province. I know in BC, it is every 3 years, but Ontario says every year.
The gangs vet works evenings, the night shift. So she works every other week. So, I always try to schedule them for her. Luckily, the last time I had an issue, which was Oksana's cystitis, she happened to be on that week. It's easy when you have the same vet, because they know your pet, and they are more apt to maybe write a prescription for you sight unseen.

Old January 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM

qmc double check because for dogs rabies is every 3 yrs in ont
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Since your cats are 100% indoors do you think there is really a need for the vaccine?

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Slave to the Kitties

If my cats are upset, my vet will just run a little gas into them, to make them "happy", he doesnt knock them out.
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Pet Guardian

AG do your cats go outside or come in contact with other animals? if no, i would ot even give a vaccine if it were me. find another vet. Trust your cat!
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

They are all indoors, but I've decided to just give them the vaccine every 3 years. The county here does require all dogs and cats, indoor or out have a vaccine yearly. But, I've realized that all of my gang haven't had theirs yearly, so I'm just going to listen to myself and edit their vaccine time. They get their distemper every 3 years, so that's what I'm doing for their rabies.

Edwina, if they'd gassed him for a few seconds, I may have been okay. He'd have been fully awake, just cooperative, not in a total zombie state, just laying there with his eyes open and unable to move.

Old January 17th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Rabies is endemic (wide spread & very prevalent) in the Eastern Canada & the U.States, whereas in Western Canada it is not. Same with Lymes disease for example.

It also depends on which vaccine the vet is using, some vaccines state it is either a "yearly" vaccine - "guarenteed for 1 years' protection" or a three year vaccine "guarenteed for 3 years' protection" Though the protection coverage is not always 100%.

As for needing the FVRCCP & DA2PLCPV-CorLy every year or even 3 years here is the new vaccine protocol & immunology information in regards to any Modified Live Virus (MLV) Vaccine. This does not include the Rabies vaccine as that is a Killed Virus (KV) Vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
Since your cats are 100% indoors do you think there is really a need for the vaccine?
In the US Rabies is still mandatory whether indoor or not, including when bringing an animal across the border for a vacation you must provide upto date Rabies vaccination certificate or titre test.

Some critical-thinking reading on the Rabies Vaccine: http://www.naturalrearing.com/coda/a..._big_scam.html

Quote:
The vaccines, particularly rabies, are a political and economic scam being forced upon pet owners because they do not know the truth. Rabies, nationwide, is nowhere near the problem the veterinarians, media, politicians and bureaucrats would like you to believe. If you wish more of the truth go to your local city or county government building and look up the codes and statutes concerning vaccines and rabies. Get figures from local animal control for rabies in dogs, cats and wildlife in your area. Then you can start to fight back, take control of your life, and protect your pet from the only dreaded disease that is important--special interest groups pushing their program leading to vaccine induced damaged immune systems. Only you can set yourself free.

Current Veterinary Therapy by Kirk, the textbook bible for veterinarians in general, has an article on canine and feline vaccines by two researchers. Near the end of the article is a paragraph called Annual Vaccinations. It states "The practice of annual vaccinations lacks scientific validity or verification. There is no immunological requirement for annual vaccinations. The practice of annual vaccinations should be considered of questionable efficacy unless it is used as a mechanism to provide an annual physical examination or is required by law." Sure, if we can't manipulate you with annual vaccinations let's pass a law to get you into the office. Nice trick!
AG when speaking to your vet be sure to mention you want the 3 year vaccine not the yearly one.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; January 17th, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 01:19 AM
~Cat Servent~

Aw sorry to hear that Vlad was so stressed out.

I've opted not to get the vaccines for my guys for the last 2 years....they never go outside and are rarely if ever in contact with other animals (plus there was another thread about vaccines a while back that had a lot of useful info). But every time I call the vet with a question or problem (like Windy's last week) they automatically give me the vaccine/ yearly check up schpeal... I wouldn't mind doing a yearly wellness exam, if it didn't cost $65 just to step into the office, and if when I was there they didn't use just the fact that I was there as an excuse to vaccinate! I have been considering for quite some time now trying to find a vet that would come to the house to do a check up once every year or two... just to see if I miss anything, although I pet them all every day and do try to notice any changes.... plus I even go so far as to count and check out all the pee clumps and poos in the box to make sure everyone is going ok. Last time I had them all vaccinated if was 6 cats x $90... and i would gladly spend that in a heartbeat if I thought they got something out of it other than, yep they're healthy and their current weight and shots I'm not sure they even need.

And with the exception of the H1N1 vaccine (because of my asthma and diabetes) I also don't get a yearly flu shot and the like...( unless I had no choice for travel requirements or something). I think that all these modern medicines are great (especially fond of insulin ) but that we are too quick to pump in the drugs when some natural immunity is what we really need to build up by getting sick. Since I stopped medicating myself every time I get the sniffles I find that I'm getting sick much less often and the rare time I do pick up a bug, it's gone in a matter of a couple days.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

As of right now, they are all vaccinated for rabies, except for Vlad, he's going in at the end of the month. I'm marking my calendar and I'll skip giving it to them next year.

I was discussing Vlad with his vet last night, and telling her how the other vet wanted to sedate him. She rolled her eyes and said she didn't understand why the other vet just didn't try to either give him a little gas and work fast, or just try to handle him, since she's always been able to work on Vlad. That's why I really like this vet. I can tell she really cares about the animals she treats.

And she gave me such a wonderful compliment in front of a few people. She said she's never had a case, that every cat in a multi-cat household has such good health and such beautiful coats and body structure. She looked at me and said, "You know it's because of what you feed them right?" I said "I sure do."

Old January 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I have 4 cats and a dog and all of them have been automatically receiving the 3 year vaccine here in Ontario since 2002. That is all that's required in Ontario afaik but you have to prove once a year when you license them that their Rabies vaccination is up-to-date within the 3 year period. I don't believe the one year vaccination is available in Ontario anymore because everyone I know who has cats or dogs receives the 3 year vaccine.

However, there are other vaccines that are only good for 1 year and are recommended if you have more than one cat or dog. It would save Vlad a lot of stress if he only needed to be vaccinated every 3 years. Poor Vlad he must have had a bad experience at a vets for him to become so stressed. I hope the increased dose of Xanax works for him
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey dbg10. The quotations wouldn't work for me, but I thought I would mention that when I took my new rescue for her exams and shots, the invoice where the info about the rabies serum - the lot number and manufacturer, also indicated a booster would be needed in December 2010along with the reminder section in the invoice as to what is due when.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 18th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg10 View Post
Poor Vlad he must have had a bad experience at a vets for him to become so stressed. I hope the increased dose of Xanax works for him
You would think he had a terrible experience, but he started getting like that at around a year. The worst thing he'd ever had done was his neuter. I can only guess being left there on his own overnight and having to see all the goings on in the emergency clinic may have soured him on the experience.

I think the higher dosage of Xanax will help. I'm keeping record myself, so I'll just skip the vaccine next year and save him the stress.

Old January 18th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Kitty pimp

lol sedate for a shot??? wow what a wuss