Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 18th, 2014, 11:36 AM

HELP! Kitten agression!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Issue 1 - Aggression towards our 6 year old cat
We have a kitten who is about 6 months old. He is constantly chasing out 6 yr old cat Kalou, and jumps on his back where Kalou can't get away from him. We put Oakley (the kitten) in a time out but as soon as we let him out, he goes after Kalou again. We are constantly playing with him and trying to redirect him but need new suggestions. Getting another kitten isn't an option though. Kalou usually just runs, which makes it a game, and Oakley chases him.

2. Issue 2
Oakley is constantly getting into everything. Right now he climbs into the Christmas tree, chews wires, etc. We never have had this problem with our other cats so are looking for new suggestions.

what we have tried:
- squirt bottle with water
- time outs

Please any suggestions would be appreciated. We love Oakley and just want him to be safe in the house with our other cat.

Thank you!
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it really aggression (hissy, puffy-tailed, fur-flying kinda thing), or just the typically annoying kitten tendency towards unrelenting play?

Is Oakely neutered?

I would recommend ceasing the use of squirt bottles (especially if they haven't worked so far):
http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...e-controversy/
http://www.catnipchronicles.com/feb2012/jackson.htm

What happens when you re-direct Oakley towards a toy or treat or some catnip? Does he go back to chasing Kalou? Does Kalou have places he can escape too where Oakley can't pursue him? One of my cats is very feral and rather socially awkward with the other cats (doesn't understand the give and take of normal playing), so she frequently darts underneath a cabinet in my kitchen when things get too rambunctious. Having a place that's just hers, that the other cats can't/don't go into, has dramatically increased her confidence. Maybe you can set up something like that for Kalou? A box with a couple holes in it, or one of those cat tunnels.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ing-the-peace/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 19th, 2014, 01:36 PM

thanks!

Oakley was neutered when we got him from the SPCA. I have been calling it "aggression" because Oakley's main things is to bite Kalou on his back where Kalou can't really get him off. Kalou hisses at him and squeaks. So I am worried he is going to start feeling scared that Oakley is always going to attack him.

Redirecting Oakley works sometimes, but he lurks in the shadows and will attack Kalou very quickly. Kalou usually goes to the cat tree when he is being chased by Oakley, but Oakley will sometimes follow him right up there.

I will definitely try to put some boxes/hideaways out for Kalou and maybe move our 2nd cat tree out into the living area where the tension usually happens.

Really appreciate the links to those articles. I hate using the squirt bottle anyways and will definitely stop now.

If Oakley does goes after Kalou, should we put him in a separate room for a bit to settle down on his own? Or is this not very effective?

Thanks again!
Old December 21st, 2014, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalou View Post
Oakley was neutered when we got him from the SPCA.
Great, just wanted to make sure, since many cats don't get neutered until they're around 6 months, and hormones can already be a big influence by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalou View Post
I have been calling it "aggression" because Oakley's main things is to bite Kalou on his back where Kalou can't really get him off.
Sounds like it's probably kitten pestering. Can be tough to "train" them not to do it, especially if Kalou runs and inadvertently makes it a game in the process. I went through the same thing with my youngsters chasing my old guy. I would run interference where I could (which was mostly just picking up the old guy and throwing toys to distract the kittens), but ultimately it was time that was the "cure". I made sure Aztec (the elder) had plenty of opportunities away from the kittens, and lots of me-time so that he didn't feel ostracized. Eventually the kittens grew out of their annoying ways.

I can't say if giving Oakley a time-out would be effective or not as he might still have all that pent-up energy when he's eventually let out, possibly combined with some added frustration at being isolated. Maybe if the time-out involved some vigorous jumping around after a fishing-rod style toy like Da Bird, that would work better.

One of my cats tends to get really agro (as in mean!) if he sees another cat outside and he takes it out on his housemates. If I'm around when that happens, I take him into a separate room and refocus his frustrations onto a large cat-nip log thingy. He can wrestle it, bite it, and give it eviscerating bunny-kicks. After 10 mins of that, he's usually okay to re-enter the general population without being an a-hole.

Good luck! Multi-cat dynamics can certainly be a challenge sometimes.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 19th, 2015, 04:06 PM

Thats pretty normal for kittens, there is nothing to worry about. At his age he is still practicing physical coordination and exhibits a playful character. I guess he is trying to hone social skills too. Just give them time they will gradually learn to co exist peacefully.