Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Allergies to cats

It's no secret that I am quite allergic to my cats, always have been and always will be. It's not a serious allergy like it is for some. I just get itchy eyes and a bit of a wheeze but I have noticed it is much worse in the spring and summer months. I survive thanks to claratin and reactine and my sweet Mr.Floyd has always been able to sleep on my pillow next to me.
Now, my reason for typing this at 1 am is this... Tonight like so many other nights over the past few weeks I have just pushed him off the bed and in turn woke myself up by doing this as I can not sleep without a cat ( life was H E double hockeysticks when I was working out of town for this reason and staying in motels) I am cOnsidering getting allergy shots as I have noticed all my allergies are getting worse. I attributed my pollen allergies being due to not having any local honey last winter or the winter prior. I really don't want to get injected with anything as it does go against so much of what I believe in but my sleep and my poor Mr Floyd are suffering here. Miss Mia does not seem to irritate my allergies as bad when she curls up with me... Curious if there is a way I can reduce floyds dander or something?
Kinda desperate here... Going to pop another allergy pill and find my poor kitty and head back to sleep
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

A few years ago, Pet valu in Ontario was selling a product that was supposed to reduce the amount of allergens produced by cats. I can't remember if it was added to their food or just applied to their coat.

Have you tried any of the homeopathic remedies? Since moving west, I no longer have allergies..ragweed..nasty little plants. I suffered from August to heavy frost. Even Round-Up couldn't kill that stuff!
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

You could try something like Allerpet. Also a Hepa air filter in your bedroom might help. The wheezing means you have asthma, so maybe talk to your doctor about an inhaler. Nothing worse than not being able to breath properly.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I only wheeze when my allergies are really acting up though.
I will look into the stuff suggested, I just don't think it's healthy at all that I am always drugging myself up just to sleep. I think a Hepa would be a great idea to help remove the excess dander floating around my room my allergies seem to bother me most in there, if I'm laying down Floyd is on me like white on rice but he doesn't bother me as much in the living room... Hmmm, perhaps getting my mattress cleaned may help too??? I think maybe there is just too much dander in the room. Now that I am not half asleep and thinking about this... It could be an easy enough fix afterall
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

my allergist suggested I keep a humidifier on low in our bedroom, the "dampness" kept the dander down in there, I'm allergic to feathers, cat and dog hair etc. I also keep a thick damp sponge on my floor grates in the bedroom come fall and winter. we use a mattress cover and wipe it down each time I change the sheets, I'm lazy and its easier to wipe it down than to steam clean the mattress *L*, you can also use a damp cloth on your bed frame weekly. oh and I removed my drapes and went with verticles that I also wipe down weekly.